BlackBerry Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Java Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2009.

Interview

Phone interview and screening test of Java with a recruiter. Posted resume on the web site of RIM. Several days later, got the notification of the phone interview. Questions are related to the experience in the resume. Majority of my questions are related to SIP, MPLA, GMPLS network. None of my question is related to Java. Weird. It took 40 min.

Interview Questions

• three of the most important tags of the SIP which determine a call transaction.   Answer Question
    • What are the routing protocols of the GMPLS.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Interview went good. Questions went into key points of the technologies. Only one of the non-technical question is why did you leave your previous company?

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in January 2010.

Interview

I applied online and the HR contacted with me for the on-site interview. The hiring manager asked lots of Java techinical questions, vry detailed.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackBerry (Dallas, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied on the RIM website and was contacted a few days later by one of their recruiters and set up a phone interview. Phone interview consisted of a brief overview of my resume and previous expirience with a few situational questions. At the end of the interview I asked about more details of the position since the posting was vauge.. recruiter didn't know any specifics. I was contacted a few days later to setup a panel/presentation interview. I was told the presentation should be related to the job but the recruiter again couldn't answer specific questions about the position (ie, who the end user/customer was). The interview started with the presentation part of the interview. I was cutoff mid presentation and told that my presentation didn't exactly pertain to the position. I was then asked a series of situational/role playing questions. My answers were very similar to the "correct" answer given by the interviewers but I was criticized for not stating company policy. How am I suposed to know the company policies if I am not employed by the company?? This interview was frustrating and I felt like it was a complete waste of time. I don't even think a current employee would be able to "pass" the interview based on the answers they were looking for. I received a call from another recruiter a few weeks ago wanting to set up a phone interview for the same position. What a joke. Don't waste your time.

Interview Questions

• You inherit an account from another account manager and on your second day you get a call from the VP of the company. VP is upset about an ongoing issue that has not been resolved and demands to speak to your VP within 30 minutes.   1 Answer

SV&V Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in January 2008.

Interview

An interviewer called my cell phone and I picked it up. He briefly explained what the position was about and asked me a few technical questions such as "what is regression testing ?". I answered fully and got the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Good luck.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

I have accepted an offer with RIM, so I'll be moving there this summer. To be honest, three months ago before this began I never expected I would turn down some of the biggest tech multinationals in the US and some amazing Silicon Valley startups to go work for RIM, but there you go. I interviewed with a lot of US multinationals, and was fairly shocked at how badly some of them recruit. What you don't do is call interviewees names during interviews, put them and their country down with insults or throw phones at walls before slamming the door (yes, that actually happened) in a hissy fit. None of these things endear applicants to you. My experiences with Silicon Valley startups was vastly better, in fact I didn't have a single bad experience with any of them. The hardest decision was turning down a few of them, as much as for a few of them it was real hard turning me down - great people, great tech, great culture, and we really chimed at a personal level, but the costs of a H1B visa, or it was the wrong time for someone with my background to come on board during this phase of the growth cycle, or problems with fit ("what would he do here?") all were a challenge. Still, I gained a ton of LinkedIn connections, and I was happy to send a few bottles of whiskey as consolation prizes to those I had to disappoint. The job I accepted in RIM, in Native SDK, is interesting but likely won't be massively challenging for me in the long run. The pay isn't great either, I took an easy 35% cut (much of it is higher Canadian payroll taxes admittedly) over other offers from the US. But the key thing which really swung it for me was their excellence of execution - I had 20+ hours of phone interviews and every single person I interviewed with knew their competencies (unlike most US multinationals which are stuffed with mediocre engineers who think they are god's gift, and who get *real* arsey when you correct their mistakes which can be legion. Big difference with the RIM engineers I talked to: they knew what they were good at and what they weren't, and not only liked being corrected but actually took steps to read up on their mistakes before the next interview stage. That REALLY swung it for me). As Shakespeare said, "know thyself before all other things". Another thing RIM really excelled at over other employers was actually reading my resume, something only the Silicon Valley startups consistently also got right. It's only two sides of a single page, so it's not hard to do, but you'd be really surprised at how inconsistent interviewers are at this - most just skim a resume just before the interview, whereas RIM had gone through it point by point in detail with sticky notes attached from a group meeting they'd had before each interview. In addition, RIM went much further than just reading the resume - they pulled my academic papers, read through my blog, dove through my github in depth and even one of them purchased and read one of my books and quizzed me on its contents during one of the interview stages. This made the interviewing process exceptionally tough as I was asked to explain coding decisions made eight years ago in some obscure source file I hadn't thought about in years. As I said before, this is the kind of flawless recruitment you read about in HR textbook case studies of how to do high skilled recruitment. Very impressive. The other big plus was a willingness to stray outside their comfort zone and follow their instincts in a situation - some of the interview stages were on the economics of the Chinese economy, others involved the managerial structures and strategies employed by the North Koreans (as you can guess, a fair few of the interviewers are originally from Asia), indeed an interview with one of their elite technical guys who knew the people I know from ISO and Boost centered on the energy economics of Canada's tar sands and the resultant likely consequences on global water and food distributions during the next twenty years. Absolutely nothing to do with coding, and they were further out of their depth than I was. The point being tested and interviewed was about how you think, and how you perceive, and just how adaptable are you. I obviously proved how far down the rabbit hole I could go, as they made an offer without any face to face interviews. Given that they never dropped the ball once across all those interviews and all those weeks, with regularly biweekly interviewing and excellent communications - even their HR made only three small mistakes during the entire process - they ended up the only choice I could make. An outstanding excellence of execution, really very impressive indeed. I know it likely won't be as good when you're in there at the coal face, but it's the best possible start to a corporate position.

Interview Questions

• Design and implement a thread dispatch pool using a latched hardware timer   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I filled in a form HR sent me. There was a question about expected compensation. Well, I'm in Europe and I have no idea about expected compensation in Canada, so I wrote down what I'd expect in Europe (about €100k +/- €20k), what Payscale said the going rate is in the US and Canada and I chose a figure right smack bang in the middle of what Payscale says is the salary range for my offered position within RIM in Canada. They offered me 10% above that with a further 15% performance related bonus (not that I expect to get this as they're losing money). That put me just over the 75% quartile for a Senior Software Engineer in RIM according to Payscale, and that seems fair to me. I haven't said the exact money value as I'd likely be breaking contract, but you can get Payscale to tell you using the information I've given above. My advice to others: don't be greedy. Choose good people before stock options. Friends of mine were shocked that I turned down a US$190,000 offer including options from one multinational, but I was almost certain I'd be working regular 80+ hour weeks there. Done that before, and I stuck it for three months before I decided it wasn't worth the money (it might be if I were single and young, but not if you have a family).

Enterprise Support Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Irving, TX).

Interview

The initial contact was a prescreen interview. The second interview was a face-to-face with the Account Management Supervisor and Director. Their attitudes were very condescending and rather dry. The 3rd interview was a panel interview with management and other Account Management.

Interview Questions

• What are the most important characteristics that an Account Manager should possess? How would handle someone who was not doing their job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I requested a salary range of $55-60 and they gave me $60k

Software Developer Inter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

phone interview first then interview in slough

Got better offer

Radio Firmware Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in June 2012.

Interview

Had one interview, very technical. Know your volatile, masking, addressing, bit-wise functions etc.

Interview Questions

• Wit only using Bitwise operations, write a program that returns the number of zeros in a binary number. Like 01010010 will return 5.   1 Answer

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through my campus recruitment portal (University of Waterloo), and heard back from them on time during the interviews period as one would expect. The interview was at their head office here in Waterloo, and lasted around an hour. I arrived a bit late as I got delayed while leaving after a class, and they were completely understanding of it. The people seemed friendly in general, and my interviewers started off by talking about the job itself. I was then asked a few general questions like 'Tell me about yourself...', 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?', 'Why do you want to do software testing?' and such. They then proceeded to the more technical questions related to the job itself such as testing methodologies, what would make a good bug report, and software testing scenarios. Overall, it was a rather challenging interview as they did push for detailed answers and you had to think well on the spot for some of the scenarios. The position also involved working overtime for on-call duty to meet release schedules due to the nature of the team the job was for. Their reply on the outcome of the interview came a few days later than expected, and resulted in some anxiety and confusion as they had promised to get back within a few weeks by the expected results time for our coop process here in UW.

Interview Questions

• If one of the keys on the numpad didn't work (pressed but no input displayed) while dialing a call on your phone, how would you find what the problem could be?   1 Answer
    • How would you test a microwave?   1 Answer
    • If you had to release something by the evening, but only managed to complete a third of the tests by noon, how would you approach the situation?   1 Answer

Tech Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackBerry (Halifax, NS (Canada)) in August 2010.

Interview

Consisted of 3 interviews, 2 phone and 1 in person. Very laid back and comfortable environment. Got a good sense there was a lot of good people working there. Training was fair and a lot of effort was put into making sure you were prepared especially in the more recent groups to be hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I accepted.