BlackBerry Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

OS Embedded Developer, Inter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

Apply on the RIM website. There will be screening interview by the HR. Manager will call you for the technical interview after that. It lasted only around 40 min's for me. He asked me coursework and project experience related to embedded systems and C programming.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate. For internships it is a fixed salary.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

I met them at my college career fair. They were recruiting people for their Milford, Connecticut branch. They had a 45 min phone interview where they asked me to type a program in google documents, a basic number to string conversion for the headers in column for microsoft excel, eg A - 1 .. Z - 26, AA - 27 etc.. I did that and they called for an onsite interview. I surprisingly had 3 one to one HR rounds and only 1 technical round (2 interviewers). In the technical round they asked me to code, if given a dictionary as a huge stream (words separated with commas) and a word to search, how would I find it in the stream. According to me all the rounds went fine, so I am guessing my rejection was only based on the fact that I didnt have much mobile programming experience.

Interview Questions
    • One question in the phone interview and one in the onsite technical round, but both were easy...   Answer Question

BlackBerry Customer Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2012.

After two applications, I was call for a telephone interview. This was comprised of resume review and technical questions by the in-house recruiter. Next was an in-person interview with two team leads. Both were very friendly and the RIM complex very nice looking. The interview lasted about an hour and was mostly technical in nature but also had some of the silly hypothetical questions like "describe how you overcame a obstacle". (This is part of the discredited SARS test that all large organizations still use).

All in all, an ordinary interview process.

Interview Questions
    • For me, the most difficult questions are the SARS questions.   Answer Question
    I wanted to leave my current company and wanted to work for RIM so bad that I did not negotiate. They met my minimum salary expectation so I accepted.

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rolling Meadows, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2011.

Phone interview followed by a on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about general knowledge of smartphone design, circuit equations, and qualifications on resume.   Answer Question
    No Negotiations

Power Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rolling Meadows, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in December 2009.

The hiring process was pretty smooth. You need to be very clear aboutt he basics of your field. Usually the interviewers are pretty knowledgeable about the subject so dont try to fake it.

Also be prepared to solve some riddles in the end of the interview. Also be prepared to answer questions related to blackberry.

Interview Questions
    • None. Did not expect to solve riddles//puzzles in the end.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in June 2010.

i had a telephonic interview then 1:1 interview and since i was already an intern it was mostly related to my work experience and the projects i did during my masters.

Radio Software Integration -Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackBerry in May 2010.

Interview was based on questions on C, RTOS and PLL.

Interview Questions
    • What is a semaphore, mutex, static variable. What are abstract classes.   Answer Question
    • Explain project you are working on. Have you ever worked on hardware or just simulation?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2009.

I first had a preliminary phone screening interview with the company's recruiter. Then I land a phone interview with the company's hiring manager who basically wanted to evaluate my previous work experiences as well as my abilities and skills, and also gauge the interest and enthusiasm I had for the position. Finally I had 1:1 interviews (lasted about 30 minutes each) with a web developer, a java software engineer, a team leader, a middle manager and a HR representative. I got the offer letter within a few days of the on-site interview which I gladly accept.

Advice: Although it isn’t a replacement for a face-to-face interview, making a good impression over the telephone can increase your chance of being asked to an in-person meeting and ultimately to landing the job.

Interview Questions
    • What are the benefits of using Strict over Transitional DOCTYPEs?   View Answer
    Salary negotiation is part of the hiring process, but is always a risk. By not accepting an offer right away it leaves it open for other candidates to come into the picture. My advice is that you should take the first offer if you’re happy with it and you feel passionate about what the company does. Never negotiate just for the sake of negotiating.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in November 2011.

After applying for the position, they reached out to set up an on site interview. The interview consisted of my future team leader and one other team member. The interview consisted of basic questions like time management, working in a team environment, and other common questions. They also ask about your school projects and your role for those projects. Overall, the process was pleasant, and the turnaround time was quick for me as well. It only took them a weekend to make the offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the role you played in this particular project   Answer Question

Embedded Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

I applied online, and received a mail telling to schedule a date for interview. After that, there were 2 rounds on interview. First on Networking and C. Then they mailed me to choose another date for 2nd round. It was on C and OS.

Interview Questions
    • Interview 1:
      Difference between TCP and UDP.
      What is volatile keyword? What does it do? How does a compiler handle a volatile keyword? What problems would happen if we don't use volatile keyword?
    • Interview 2:
      static keyword? How does an OS handle it?
      What's a module in C? How to write a module?
      What is inline function? Advantages? How does an OS/memory handle inline functions?
      How does a register work? why is it fast? How many variables can u declare in register?
        View Answer
    • what's the advantage of using pointers? why?
      What is an alias pointer? Advantage? disadvantage? How to prevent pointer aliasing?
      What is virtual memory? How does memory mapping occur? advantages of virtual memory?
      What are semaphores? Why do we use them?
      What is page fault? How does it happen? prevention?
        View Answer
    No negotiation. The give a pretty decent salary!!