BlackBerry

Updated Aug 8, 2014

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

1. Received email from recruiter to schedule an interview: she seemed very enthusiastic and organized
    2. Phone interview with manager with tech questions (software based, the usual ones)
    3. Phone interview with other manager about problem solving in general
    4. Webcam interview (puke!!) with team members, mostly same questions as # 2
    5. Assignment given: more technical questions, some problem solving questions
    6. In person with manager and director to review assignment and discuss hobbies
    7. Phone interview with VP to discuss career goals and hobbies
    8. Receive offer, accept offer, do background check, submit paperwork, begin working.

Total span was about 2 months from 1 to 8.

Interview Questions
    • How can you store extra information in a linked list without adding a new data member given that the memory is X byte aligned?   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate. My advice is not to be desperate and if you aren't happy, don't take it! Opt out of the bonus for an increase in base salary and ask for more OFFICIAL vacation.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2014.

It was a phone interview and the HR person didn't attend it for a personal reason. They asked a lot about my past personal project. (Things like how is this part working, etc) They also made a very comfortable interview atmosphere. I prepared quite a bit on this interview, but ended up not saying much what I was going to say.

Interview Questions
    • How are list and tuple different in Python?   View Answer

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2014.

Hiring process was relatively quick. Being from BC they quickly set up a phone conference interview. The interview was mostly technical questions such as how you would test things, but we also touched on past test experiences, some algorithms and optimization, and finally details about the position itself. Overall, the interview went smoothly and I found it was extremely fair for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you hate most about QA and Software Testing... and how would you fix it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Did 2 Interviews First was over the phone, normal questions about my experience, second interview was Face-to-Face in Mississauga, alot of OOP questions and finally a paper with OOP Questions.. Didnt get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Normal Questions: How to detect Memory Leak... What is Volatile key word .. etc   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2011.

Step 1: Resume/Cover Letter
    Step 2: Email confirming phone interview
    Step 3: Phone interview with team lead, and project specialists

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you implemented a solution to help your team members.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2011.

The phone interview lasted for about 30 minutes. I was asked to tell RIM what it was I was working on and how it could be related to what they are doing. A few trivial questions about types of EJBs and Java Collections, Synchronization and concurrent access.

The face-to-face interview took about 2 hours.
    I was given a choice of my assignment: design 1 of 3 programs from the list. My choice was to design 'Flight and Hotel booking web app'
    Even though the assignment stated that I need to focus on the design stages and capture business requirements and functional specifications the main focus was on entities and their relationships.

As the assignment stated I was free to make any reasonable assumptions as to 3rd party systems and interfacing into them. Again, the developers where predetermined to hear just one scenario that in their minds was the only possible solution. My guess - they simply made up their mind in the first 30 seconds.

Which actually brings a very good point - you have 30 seconds to make the first impression and that's when the decision is made. The rest is less important.

After presenting a cloud type design for my solution I noticed that the interviewers got anxious to get it over with and became very impatient about pretty much everything. At some point they even decided to argue about impossibility to persist Java collections. Not sure what the process at RIM is but when such developers run the show no wonder RIM is not doing well. I guess, weak developers are part of the problem.

Focus on entities and persistence, and make sure you tell them to persist everything locally. And forget about offering them web service interfaces into flight and hotel searching and payment systems. They believe that persisting everything locally is the only way things should work.

You may want think about your web page navigation logic and JSP interaction with stateless EJBs and how they retrieve entity beans or persist them. Choice of persistence provider and db engine is irrelevant.

If, in the end, they take you out through a fire exit door - your chances of getting a job with RIM are 0.

RIM developers lack social skill. Maybe they are so high up in the sky because they work for RIM - who knows.

This interview description is subjective and obviously your personal experience may vary.

Good luck in your job hunt!

Interview Questions
    • How would you persist multiple reservation IDs?   View Answer
    • what is JPQL and where would you use it?   View Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2010.

basic questions were involved like why you applied and what you want to get out of this interview. Not much surprises but went by very quickly. Im not sure how they really evaluate their decision because it wasnt too in depth. I was only applying for a coop 4 month position so maybe thats why. Make sure you have alot of experience to talk about

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in May 2010.

The recruitor aksed me some details in my resume. In this part there is no technical quesitons. Then he asked me two very simple Java questions : what is the big O of hashmap, what is the efficiency of searching for hashmap and vector. I feel like that he just wanted to make sure what I put on my resume is true and then rescheduled another interview for the hiring manager. I know he keeps typing while listening to my answers. He also asked questions like "have you had interviews with RIM before?" "why you didn't make it?" etc. Then he told me how the whole hiring process goes, like if I pass the next phone interview I will be invited to an on-site interview, there will be a background check for the last 7 years etc, and asked if I am comfortable with that.

The phone interview goes on pretty well. It is a screening interview after all. He said he would send me an email to confirm the next interview.

Interview Questions
    • How to put a number of strings together   View Answer

Junior C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2009.

very good interview, very calm and relaxed. Had 4 or 5 technical questions relating to c# and Object Oriented Programming.

I was asked a lot of "talk about this experience and how you went about solving it" Basically they will ask you about experiences you have on your resume. A lot of hypothetical questions....

$$$$$

Software Developer, Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2009.

The people I interviewed with did a good job in making you feel comfortable. There was a good amount of small talk, and they asked job related questions like Java processes and threads. They helped me out when I was stuck, and also responded with appropriate feedback as I answered technical questions.