BlackBerry Interview Questions in Ottawa, ON

Updated Apr 5, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview went smoothly. There were three interviewers and they were very nice and accommodating. At first, they told me to tell them about myself which I explained well. Then, they asked about the projects that I have worked on and I am working on currently. Some basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions about the projects have done before and how did I design them. The team use java as their major programming language. There were some basic programming questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through BlackBerry career website and the process took three weeks. I had only one round of phone interview. A manager and two senior developers did the interview. Very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Basic OOP concepts, Garbage collection in C, Smart pointers, Difference between Abstract class and Interface   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

2 Phone Screens. One quick non-technical, one longer more technical about 1 hour or more. 1 interview about 3 hours. Whiteboarding, solve algorithm question, how to solve, and how to test it. Detailed technical questions including esoteric C pointer questions. Told outright a solution I choose for a program I wrote was wrong and was told to defend my reasoning. Afterwards I was told this was to test can I defend my ideas and did I have a reason for the choice I made enough though I admitted it was not the best solution, but for the application it was the optimal.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms centred around mergesort and binary trees. How to manage a team as a technical lead (though I was not interviewing for that showed chance for growth). Some of the Technical C and other language questions were quite detailed. They looked up some gotchas to try to stump me and I had to reason through some of my answers to try to come up with the best answer I could.   Answer Question

Negotiation

2 Week long period

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2013.

Interview

I had to reschedule the initial appointment as my student affairs office didn't forward the email to me (vacationing most probably). I rescheduled to a later date and was given a number to dial along with a code. I was on the line for about 14-15 mins before I got a call from the interviewer saying that they can't connect to the bridge line or something. So, my interview started 20 mins and my 45 mins interview lasted for about 30 mins or so. The interviewers were rushing through questions saying that either you know it or you don't know the answer. I prepared for this position knowing as much technical details as I could about the position in question but unfortunately I had only one question regarding the actual job. which I answered almost correctly. ( I didn't know the name of a tiny channel band).

Interview Questions

• First he started off with what a capacitor and inductor was? What happens to the potential when the frequency goes up to capacitor and an inductor? what is the cut off frequency? what happens to a capacitor and an inductor after the 3db cutoff frequency?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

A month after submitting my resume, I got phone call from HR. The purpose of the call was to get some basic background such as previous jobs and expected salary. No technical questions. Then, 2 weeks late, got an email for in person interview in Ottawa. The actual interview was easy.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected question. Just remember a guy asked a wrong question and was corrected by me :)   Answer Question

Software Tools Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2011.

Interview

It was a fun lengthy interview process. The phone interview consisted of 2 interviews. The first phone interview was about Skills Test and Personality Test with the HR. The second interview was about my skill set. So they asked me what I have done in the past and how I did it.

The people are super nice, we had a nice conversation about technology and skills. It was a normal interview so it wasn't that bad.

The Group Panel Interview was interesting, they made me come onsite, and there was 3 geniuses in a board room for a good 4 hours! They didn't ask me to solve any algorithms or any teaser questions, they wanted to see how I work on a normal day to day activity.

So they gave me a paragraph that describes a problem. They said this is a user story. So for 1 hour, I needed to break down that user story and gather requirements. That user story was about authentications and permission roles. It was really nice scenario, because till this day, whatever I did during that day is what I am doing right now! We were brainstorming ways to make it better, it felt awesome.

Interview Questions

• Design a work break down structure for the user story. The user story was as a User I can manage my groups projects and administrate them.   1 Answer
    • From some given tasks, you need to figure out a proper data model design   1 Answer
    • Last step is to design the architecture, how to implement the Authentication Roles for Projects.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Bad, I made a mistake in my offer, but they said they can't go higher. But I really liked the interview so I wanted the job, so I just took it.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2011.

Interview

First interview was with HR talked for about 30 minutes, projects that I had worked on and my contributions to them. Questions about solving conflicts between co-workers, types of managers I preferred.

2nd Interview was Technical interview
    Couple basic questions about openGL, and a couple creative problems solving questions

Office seemed overworked, dull, not nearly the same environment as Waterloo campus.

Interview Questions

• Given an unsorted list of numbers 1 to N, one number occurs twice all other numbers appear once. How would find the duplicate number.   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Had the interview within a week of applying for the job online.
    I was provided with the job description before the interview was scheduled and I reviewed my resume and matched my previous experience and education to the job description.
    The interviewer asked situational and behavioural questions then moved on to the job related questions on technical skills and interpersonal skills.

Interview Questions

• What does leadership mean to you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Although I was not able to negotiate, I was able to answer questions in a way that would lead into another question that I was prepared to answer.

Graphic/Industrial Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Interview went on for 1.5 hours. He asked me a lot about what interests me, what my passions are. The main question he asked me was, "what would you want to change from the outside of your phone, not software" .

Interview Questions

• What would you change about your phone regarding whatever you touch on the phone, example buttons?   Answer Question
    • What are your passions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Phone interview - lots of technical questions! Brain teasers. Since I was a remote candidate I just did one phone interview. I got my offer just in two weeks. The interviewers were the same people I worked with during my internship. Be prepared to talk about your previous experience and college projects.

Interview Questions

• What is the angle between the two branches of your clock when it is 3:15?   1 Answer
    • Describe two design patterns.   1 Answer
    • What IPC stands for? And explain what it is.   1 Answer
    • How to sort 2 million 32-bits integer?   1 Answer