BlackBerry

Relevance Date Difficulty

Continuous Improvement Specialist Interview

Continuous Improvement Specialist
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackBerry in November 2010.

Interview Details – Several interviews. Quick overview of resume with HR. Two additional interviews with team and hiring manager to go over specifics with examples of previous work, as well as behavioural questions.

Very Easy Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at BlackBerry in May 2010.

Interview Details – No interview required. The manager knew me from my co-op work and I was hired before I finished school.

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – 2 Phone Screens. One quick non-technical, one longer more technical about 1 hour or more. 1 interview about 3 hours. Whiteboarding, solve algorithm question, how to solve, and how to test it. Detailed technical questions including esoteric C pointer questions. Told outright a solution I choose for a program I wrote was wrong and was told to defend my reasoning. Afterwards I was told this was to test can I defend my ideas and did I have a reason for the choice I made enough though I admitted it was not the best solution, but for the application it was the optimal.

Interview Question – Algorithms centred around mergesort and binary trees. How to manage a team as a technical lead (though I was not interviewing for that showed chance for growth). Some of the Technical C and other language questions were quite detailed. They looked up some gotchas to try to stump me and I had to reason through some of my answers to try to come up with the best answer I could.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 2 Week long period

CDMA/LTE/GCS RF Testing Support, 8 - 16 Month Fall Co-op/Intern Interview

CDMA/LTE/GCS RF Testing Support, 8 - 16 Month Fall Co-op/Intern
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at BlackBerry in July 2013.

Interview Details – I had to reschedule the initial appointment as my student affairs office didn't forward the email to me (vacationing most probably). I rescheduled to a later date and was given a number to dial along with a code. I was on the line for about 14-15 mins before I got a call from the interviewer saying that they can't connect to the bridge line or something. So, my interview started 20 mins and my 45 mins interview lasted for about 30 mins or so. The interviewers were rushing through questions saying that either you know it or you don't know the answer. I prepared for this position knowing as much technical details as I could about the position in question but unfortunately I had only one question regarding the actual job. which I answered almost correctly. ( I didn't know the name of a tiny channel band).

Interview Question – First he started off with what a capacitor and inductor was? What happens to the potential when the frequency goes up to capacitor and an inductor? what is the cut off frequency? what happens to a capacitor and an inductor after the 3db cutoff frequency?   View Answer

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – A month after submitting my resume, I got phone call from HR. The purpose of the call was to get some basic background such as previous jobs and expected salary. No technical questions. Then, 2 weeks late, got an email for in person interview in Ottawa. The actual interview was easy.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question. Just remember a guy asked a wrong question and was corrected by me :)   Answer Question

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in November 2009.

Interview Details – Other people most likely had completely different experiences, but in my case it was mostly behavioural questions where they tried to see how I could fit within the team and the company in general. The fact that they could see that I'm a fast and adaptive learner, while easy to communicate with and work great with others made me got the job

Interview Question – Sorry there is none. They were mostly behavioural questions and I cant remember what   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If this was your first job, then make sure you're very satisfied with what base salary you're offered. Because this is the base salary that you can only move bit by bit in the future.

Embedded-Software Developer Interview

Embedded-Software Developer
Kanata, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Interview Details – Started looking for full-time job around the end of internship term. I wished to stay at the same team since I'm interested in the task given to me. Discussed with my manager a few times. There wasn't any opening until the last week of the internship term. I was swiftly interviewed my manager and two colleagues, mainly discussed the technical area I will work on. There were a few real interview questions. The following background check and paper works took the most of time in the whole process.

Interview Question – Describe different TCP states and transitions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really. They already know I'm interested to continue working in the same team.

Embedded Systems Software Developer Interview

Embedded Systems Software Developer
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in August 2010.

Interview Details – I had phone interview with the HR and she setup 1:1 interview (Brookstreet Hotel).
1. Came in at 9am and fill paper work (availabilaties)
2. two managers (multimedia & OS Performance) invite me to a small room.
3. I told them I am only interested in Multimedia.
     a. He ask me, my previous projects
     b. step me through how would you handle if you want to decode MP3 file (streaming)
     c. ask me to write a small function that will return the X*7
     d. Another function that will do bit reversal basically most significant bit will end up in least significant bit.
4. Are you ready to work week-end.
5. Lasted about 40 minutes

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will return x*7 without using multiplication?   View Answers (2)
  • write a function that will reverse swap bits (MST to LSB) & (LSB to MSB)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

Interview Details – First interview was with HR talked for about 30 minutes, projects that I had worked on and my contributions to them. Questions about solving conflicts between co-workers, types of managers I preferred.

2nd Interview was Technical interview
Couple basic questions about openGL, and a couple creative problems solving questions

Office seemed overworked, dull, not nearly the same environment as Waterloo campus.

Interview Question – Given an unsorted list of numbers 1 to N, one number occurs twice all other numbers appear once. How would find the duplicate number.   View Answer

Software Tools Developer Interview

Software Tools Developer
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

Interview Details – It was a fun lengthy interview process. The phone interview consisted of 2 interviews. The first phone interview was about Skills Test and Personality Test with the HR. The second interview was about my skill set. So they asked me what I have done in the past and how I did it.

The people are super nice, we had a nice conversation about technology and skills. It was a normal interview so it wasn't that bad.

The Group Panel Interview was interesting, they made me come onsite, and there was 3 geniuses in a board room for a good 4 hours! They didn't ask me to solve any algorithms or any teaser questions, they wanted to see how I work on a normal day to day activity.

So they gave me a paragraph that describes a problem. They said this is a user story. So for 1 hour, I needed to break down that user story and gather requirements. That user story was about authentications and permission roles. It was really nice scenario, because till this day, whatever I did during that day is what I am doing right now! We were brainstorming ways to make it better, it felt awesome.

Interview Questions

• Design a work break down structure for the user story. The user story was as a User I can manage my groups projects and administrate them.   View Answer
  • From some given tasks, you need to figure out a proper data model design   View Answer
  • Last step is to design the architecture, how to implement the Authentication Roles for Projects.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Bad, I made a mistake in my offer, but they said they can't go higher. But I really liked the interview so I wanted the job, so I just took it.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!