BlackBerry

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen followed by 2 separate in person interviews with senior team members and team members. Final interview with director with two more senior members of the team.

Interview Question – Standard questions about customer relationships, conflict, time management.   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – Joined as Co-op student from Schulich School of Business and later offered Project Manager Position with the company

Interview Question – Weekness and failure   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1 interview, with hiring manager- asked 2 questions. 1. what is your experience with project management. 2.given your past work experience what is your customer service like?

the interview took all but 19 mins

Interview Question – i expected a brain teaser, but it never happened   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation process. i was offered my base salary and i accepted it.

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BlackBerry in July 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was clear and all expectations were laid out. Typical interview questions, nothing too complicated for a technical project management role. There were a few coding problems to test whether I knew what I was talking about but that was easy.

The feedback from the recruiters was very slow vs. industry standards and they were not helpful at all. Room for improvement here is obvious.

Interview Question – Was given a "COLA" type question where for a set of numbers, had to output a unique letter where for every even number you had to output a "C", for odd "O", numbers divisble by 5 "L" and numbers divisible by 7 "A"   View Answer

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in May 2011.

Interview Details – RIM has a well organized recruiting fair that it uses to sift through all applicants to find it's key prospects and candidates. I was surprised at the average age of the employees and staff involved. RIM seems to have a very young workforce. The interview process and people were very professional and positive. Upon talking closely with the various staff, I was also surprised at the level of work experience, both in total and with RIM itself. It was common that the current employees had only been in their positions for several months to 1 or 2 years. People with 5+ years in RIM were extremely rare. As mentioned before, most employees seem to be fresh graduates or with a couple to few years experience. The company campus was extensive and impressive. The company is well organized and has a small business environment with a large, youthful staff, which is why I suspect turnover is high and also due to high degree of university hiring.

Interview Question – Describe how you would interface technically with a potential shut down of your project and how would you turn this situation around.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Due to the highly unstable future of RIM and the numerous negative business and financial outlooks it seems to be plagued with, further pursuit was postponed.

Project Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a RIM recruiter through linkedin for a Project Manager position at RIM. The position is located in Waterloo, I was very interested in the position but Waterloo is not a location of my choice. During the phone interview with the recruiter, I had mentioned about it would be considerable if I can work from RIM office in Mississauga, and off course I can be on site at Waterloo one day /week or whenever needed (face-to-face meetings...). One thing I'd like to mention here is the phone interview with RIM recruiter was about longer than 30 min, they really need to know the salary range expectation from candidates before moving forward.
The recruiter really liked my qualifications, background, skill set and followed-up my application to the hiring manager. After about 3 days, the recruiter informed me that the hiring manager wanted to have a phone interview with me. We (the recruiter and I) communicated back and forth to agree upon the date/time of the interview.
The hiring manager wanted to have her team (6 people) to interview me by phone and separated into two groups. The first group consists of the hiring manager and the 2 team members. They called me on my cell, I was not very impressed with the way they approached the interview. It seems like they were not well-prepared for the questions they asked. My first feeling was "I don't want to work for them". After about 25 minutes and I had a chance to ask some questions. One of my questions was is it possible for this position to be located in Mississauga office? After hearing this question, the hiring manager gave a very short answer and ended the interview.

The recruiter emailed me and mentioned about the reason. I was not offered the job but very happy. My thoughts about RIM has been changed since this interview. I was not very impressed with the way the hiring manager conducted the interview.

Interview Question – Describe your experience with Agile/Scrum?   Answer Question

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2009.

Interview Details – First I got a phone call, made a phone interview appointment. Then several days later, I got the phone interview, it lasted about 30 minutes and just some basic questions, like background review. After about 1 or 2 weeks, I got an email and informed me to take an on site interview. It was a group interview, 4 people attended, one of them is the director of the branch. This interview took about 2 hours. After that, they asked me to take another on site interview, it was a 1:1 interview. The group leader interviewed me. It took about 1 and a half hour.

Interview Question – What is your biggest achivement? Why?   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in September 2009.

Interview Details – Asked plenty of behavioral questions and made it very difficult to give direct answers by making the questions very open-ended. There was no intention of a 1:1 interview, it was all via telephone which may or may not be a good thing since it doesn't allow you to show who you really are.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in May 2010.

Interview Details – Nice, welcoming interviewers. Missed the opportunity to work with them. The first round was on phone with direct report and his manager. Manager okayed for the 2nd round and the direct report (1:1) along with another team member(on phone) GRILLED me with plethora of questions. The exhaustive list of questions is here for anyone interested in tyical Project Management role:

I would prefer final round of interview to be 100% face to face. It becomes difficult to make an impression on the phone:(.

Project Manager
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in February and in April HR contacted me to arrange a phone interview. In the phone interview the recruiter explained more details about the position and asked some usual questions, like "Why I want to work at RIM?", my salary expectation, some skills required by the position etc. After 2 weeks they called me again to arrange a personal interview with 2 people. The process is still opened.

Interview Question – Do you have experience working with infrastructure?   Answer Question

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!