BlackBerry

Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.9

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

A call from the hiring manager's team members, started out with some behavioral questions (tell me about yourself, talk about resume, projects and extra-curriculars),

Basic behavior questions, nothing difficult, three interviewers at the same time, ppl are nice and talented. Hope the company will turn around.

Other Interview Reviews for BlackBerry

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2014.

Initially got contacted by HR for an one-hour interview, which was scheduled as an in-person interview as I live not far from the work place. The hiring manager met me and was interested in my one-year co-op experience at the company. I was evaluated on skills and experience desired for the position, and got the opportunity to learn more about the team. A second onsite interview was scheduled in about two weeks when I met other team members and was assessed on a few behavioral questions by HR. There are also more technical coding questions asked for evaluating the knowledge base and potential as a software developer. Both interviews went smooth and the hiring committee is nice and friendly.

After then it is reference check which was fairly quick that took one week, and background check and waiting period. I was called by HR about an offer around three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers know about my previous co-op performance and there are not too difficult technical questions. A couple of behavioral questions are asked, e.g., have you had experience in resolving conflict, what makes you get up everyday for work, etc. They are equally interested in evaluating interviewee's soft skills for a good fit to the team.   Answer Question
    As I am a new grad, there is not much negotiation. The hiring committee asked for my previous co-op salary and expected salary range, made a good offer that matched my experience and I accepted.

Software Developer Interview

Received an email from Blackberry. Got the interview the following week. Asked to implement insert function for a binary tree.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Did a phone screening first, after good review I received a technical assessment based on the new bb10 cascades system. Upon successful completion I had a second telephone interview with a director (I was from out of town) and then we moved on to a face to face interview. BlackBerry paid my expenses to travel to Montreal where I had a pretty good interview with a director and several team leads. We talked about my history, my experience and then did a couple very simple technical questions. When I had completed the interview I was told by my contact that I had nailed it and to expect something coming. The company then reviewed my school transcript and decided that a second technical assessment was in order. After my completion of it, they told me they were no longer hiring.

Interview Questions
    • The second technical assessment was mildly difficult, it involved a small bit of threading and some simple logic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

2 Phone Screens. One quick non-technical, one longer more technical about 1 hour or more. 1 interview about 3 hours. Whiteboarding, solve algorithm question, how to solve, and how to test it. Detailed technical questions including esoteric C pointer questions. Told outright a solution I choose for a program I wrote was wrong and was told to defend my reasoning. Afterwards I was told this was to test can I defend my ideas and did I have a reason for the choice I made enough though I admitted it was not the best solution, but for the application it was the optimal.

Interview Questions
    • Algorithms centred around mergesort and binary trees. How to manage a team as a technical lead (though I was not interviewing for that showed chance for growth). Some of the Technical C and other language questions were quite detailed. They looked up some gotchas to try to stump me and I had to reason through some of my answers to try to come up with the best answer I could.   Answer Question
    2 Week long period

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

A month after submitting my resume, I got phone call from HR. The purpose of the call was to get some basic background such as previous jobs and expected salary. No technical questions. Then, 2 weeks late, got an email for in person interview in Ottawa. The actual interview was easy.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question. Just remember a guy asked a wrong question and was corrected by me :)   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

telephohe interview was conducted and then it was very technical

Software Developer Interview

First a couple of questions on my resume. Then two coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given an input string and a dictionary of words, segment the input string into a space-separated sequence of dictionary words if possible. For example, if the input string is "applepie" and the dictionary is a standard set of English words, then we would return the string "apple pie" as output.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2013.

I had a phone interview. Most questions are technical but basic. They are all about C++. For example, the difference between stack and heap, process and thread, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Just need to review basic knowledge of C++.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2013.

Applied through my university. Received an email from the BlackBerry Campus Recruiter saying they would like to schedule a phone interview with me. Received the call on the scheduled date. They asked me general questions about my schooling, basic questions about programming in C++, mobile development, and multi-threaded programming. It was all very general and nothing too difficult. Very relaxed and the guys were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Compare and contrast the differences between developing a desktop application vs developing a mobile application.   Answer Question
    I was pleased with their offer and didn't feel the need to negotiate.