BlackBerry Software Developer Interview Questions in Toronto, ON

Updated May 18, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

I went to a BlackBerry info session where I met my employer. I sent her in my resume, and a few weeks later we have an on the phone interview. There was no technical questions involved, overall very laid back interview process.

Interview Questions

• About yourself, why I wanted to work there.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for BlackBerry

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

Initially got contacted by HR for an one-hour interview, which was scheduled as an in-person interview as I live not far from the work place. The hiring manager met me and was interested in my one-year co-op experience at the company. I was evaluated on skills and experience desired for the position, and got the opportunity to learn more about the team. A second onsite interview was scheduled in about two weeks when I met other team members and was assessed on a few behavioral questions by HR. There are also more technical coding questions asked for evaluating the knowledge base and potential as a software developer. Both interviews went smooth and the hiring committee is nice and friendly. After then it is reference check which was fairly quick that took one week, and background check and waiting period. I was called by HR about an offer around three weeks later.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers know about my previous co-op performance and there are not too difficult technical questions. A couple of behavioral questions are asked, e.g., have you had experience in resolving conflict, what makes you get up everyday for work, etc. They are equally interested in evaluating interviewee's soft skills for a good fit to the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As I am a new grad, there is not much negotiation. The hiring committee asked for my previous co-op salary and expected salary range, made a good offer that matched my experience and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied through my university. Received an email from the BlackBerry Campus Recruiter saying they would like to schedule a phone interview with me. Received the call on the scheduled date. They asked me general questions about my schooling, basic questions about programming in C++, mobile development, and multi-threaded programming. It was all very general and nothing too difficult. Very relaxed and the guys were very nice.

Interview Questions

• Compare and contrast the differences between developing a desktop application vs developing a mobile application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was pleased with their offer and didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in March 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview. Most questions are technical but basic. They are all about C++. For example, the difference between stack and heap, process and thread, etc.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Just need to review basic knowledge of C++.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Too many gotcha questions. Asking people to solve detailed work related problems that they are not familiar with. Asks questions along the lines of Microsoft and Google. Many detailed questions on programming languages - if it is not in your active repertoire - god help you.

Interview Questions

• Write code to simulate recursion with iteration. Undergraduate numerical analysis problems that I did 25 years ago.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

3 steps process. 1) email then Phone Interview with HR, review resume, your expected salary range 2) email then Phone interview. In this case with a manager of three groups. Technical questions, describe best achievement, what are your weakness. In the end the interview was for 3 different jobs. After a long time got email I was not considered for step 3.

Interview Questions

• Describe what design patterns you have used in solving a tough problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

Before my previous contract ends, I started looking for another contract, I published my resume to the job agent, one week later I got the on-site interview at waterloo, first technical interview with software development lead and one senior software developer, the interview is more difficult than at Banks, some code optimization questions, after that I had been interviewed by the hiring manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through school's co-op system and received acknowledgement within two weeks. The interview consisted of the manager and a fellow software developer. The software developer is there mostly to observe your behaviors, occasionally asking you some questions about your resume. Some basic technical questions were asked, but it was mostly behavioral questions such as "what is a good manager to you?"

Interview Questions

• "What defines a good manager to you?" "What is the biggest flop you made?" "If you and I were to get into a conflict, what would you do?" "Tell me about something you do outside of school and work, that you think would differentiate yourself from others."   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Did 2 Interviews First was over the phone, normal questions about my experience, second interview was Face-to-Face in Mississauga, alot of OOP questions and finally a paper with OOP Questions.. Didnt get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Normal Questions: How to detect Memory Leak... What is Volatile key word .. etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in April 2012.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a technical phone interview and an on-site interview in front of a pannel. Most questions were one Java core and enterprise freatures and simple algorithmic problems.

Interview Questions

• I can't reveal the questions becasue of the non-disclosure agreement I signed. But the topics covered was: multi-threading, recustion, http requests, java generics, spring IoC, XML parsing, software lifecycle, unit testing etc.   Answer Question

Their offer was very completitive with respect to Canadian job market. But I had a better offer from one of the global software giants.