BlackBerry

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviews are mostly based on what you have in RESUME, basic programming language and some additional skills which makes you unique. Prior job experience helps. HR process is very simple, phone call and then group interview with 2-4 employees

Interview Question – Interviews are short   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in September 2010.

Interview Details – After an initial phone screen, walked into a recruiting event and went thru 3 rounds of interview- one technical, one behavioral and one HR.

Interview Question – None too difficult. Discussion on quick sort, its run time complexity, basic OOP concepts. Few questions related to Polymorphism and Java specific class definitions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The HR came back with an offer and we went back and forth a couple of times before I accepted the offer.

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty quick. They needed people ASAP at the time I started there. Regular intervirew questions, not that much technical.

Interview Question – OS level question I didn't know about   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them I got another offer higher from another company, they raised their offer by 10K.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone screening followed by on site interview

Interview Question – Operating System concepts, deadlocks, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Can negotiate

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – You ll have 1 Hr round and a onsite interview

Interview Question – Most difficult part was from algos   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in October 2012.

Interview Details – I have applied for the software engineer internship position on the website of RIM, after about 3 weeks, the recruiter contacted me and said that one group wants to interview with me. The phone interview is scheduled about 1 week later.

Interview Questions:
First part: network related
What will happen after I open a browser and type www.google.com?
When I log into gmail or hotmail, how will the server identify you so next time you don’t need to login again?
What’s the difference between sockets and ports?
How to check how many sockets are opened in the computer?

Second part: Java related.
What’s static field?
What’s static method?
What’s the difference between overloading and overwriting?
What’s polymorphism?
What’s the difference between abstract class and interface?
Can we instantiate abstract class? Can we instantiate interface?
What’s the access level in java?
What’s the finally block?
Can you give me an example of finally block?

Third part: programming problems
1. give list1 and list2, suppose they are sorted in ascending order, how to check whether each element in list 2 presents in list 1. What’s the time complexity?

2. Suppose there’s no hashmap class in Java, design your own hashmap class.

3. Give an example where dead lock can happen.

4. calculate the factorial of n.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Milford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – I gave them my resume at a college career fair. They contacted me a few weeks later and set up a phone interview.

The phone interview consisted of a coding problem, which you had to solve using Google docs while the interviewer watches you. The interviewer was very nice and we fixed a couple bugs in my code together.

Next I had an on-site interview which lasted all day. I met with 8 different people from the company for 6 interviews and a lunch period. Almost all of the interviews were technical in nature. This includes coding, drawing software diagrams on a whiteboard, and verbally answering some questions. Once again everyone was very nice and they make it very easy for you to succeed.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in June 2010.

Interview Details – i had a telephonic interview then 1:1 interview and since i was already an intern it was mostly related to my work experience and the projects i did during my masters.

Interview Question – mostly on C and memory organization   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackBerry in October 2012.

Interview Details – I got one round phone interview with team leader.

Interview Question – why if(null == c) is better than if(c ==null)   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – HR emailed me for an intial phone interview, the 2nd round of phone technical interview was then booked

Interview Question – The technical question was too general to answer, I couldn't figure out what did they want to ask.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BlackBerry

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!

BlackBerry Videos

BlackBerry – Why Work for Us?

Talent, Passion & Creativity At BlackBerry our instinct for innovation is relentless, so as we continue to push the boundaries of mobile experiences, we continue to drive the talent, passion and creativity of our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackBerry Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by BlackBerry employees and interview candidates.