BlackBerry

Updated Oct 31, 2014

139 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

This is dependent on really who is seeking to hire you and who you know as well as what level you are applying for. They look at job experience and out of the box thinking. Problem solver

easy

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2014.

Initially got contacted by HR for an one-hour interview, which was scheduled as an in-person interview as I live not far from the work place. The hiring manager met me and was interested in my one-year co-op experience at the company. I was evaluated on skills and experience desired for the position, and got the opportunity to learn more about the team. A second onsite interview was scheduled in about two weeks when I met other team members and was assessed on a few behavioral questions by HR. There are also more technical coding questions asked for evaluating the knowledge base and potential as a software developer. Both interviews went smooth and the hiring committee is nice and friendly.

After then it is reference check which was fairly quick that took one week, and background check and waiting period. I was called by HR about an offer around three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers know about my previous co-op performance and there are not too difficult technical questions. A couple of behavioral questions are asked, e.g., have you had experience in resolving conflict, what makes you get up everyday for work, etc. They are equally interested in evaluating interviewee's soft skills for a good fit to the team.   Answer Question
    As I am a new grad, there is not much negotiation. The hiring committee asked for my previous co-op salary and expected salary range, made a good offer that matched my experience and I accepted.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Applied through the employer site. Phone screen for 30 minutes, then in person interview with manager, then in-person interview with peers. Whole process form start to finish took almost 3 months. Included background screening and reference checks.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly situational questions, what would you do if you were in this situatione etc. Nothing too complicated   Answer Question
    I accepted the first offer as it was better than I had expected. No negotiation

Candidate Care Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

Was referred by a Director, the Hiring Manager reached out to me directly via email asking if I was interested in the role. Had 1 interview with a panel of 3 interviewers, all from OD. Interview was fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    • Typical HR questions, nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    Asked for higher salary but offer was final.

Software Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Applied online through the BlackBerry site, was contacted less than a month later by email for a 30 minute phone interview. They sent an offer package a month or so later with about 10 documents that had to be signed and returned via the package that they sent. Overall it was a very smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • What scripting/UNIX projects have you worked on (Difficult for me since I hadn't done any)   View Answer
    They pay for extra luggage bag, airfare (round trip), transport from/to airport and 2 nights in a hotel.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2014.

It was a phone interview and the HR person didn't attend it for a personal reason. They asked a lot about my past personal project. (Things like how is this part working, etc) They also made a very comfortable interview atmosphere. I prepared quite a bit on this interview, but ended up not saying much what I was going to say.

Interview Questions
    • How are list and tuple different in Python?   View Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Very long interview process, two separate full days speaking to 10+ people each day, including managers, directors, and VPs
    The individuals themselves were all very caring of the length of time for the interview
    All interviewers had a veto on hires. Getting through the interview process is something to be very happy with.
    Each of the interviewers were very helpful in describing what they considered the most important aspects of this role.
    Offer negotiations with HR were professional and helpful

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle pressure, and demonstrate a situation in which you were required to.   View Answer
    Was able to negotiate, but the offer was higher than expected so there was very little need.

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

1. Received email from recruiter to schedule an interview: she seemed very enthusiastic and organized
    2. Phone interview with manager with tech questions (software based, the usual ones)
    3. Phone interview with other manager about problem solving in general
    4. Webcam interview (puke!!) with team members, mostly same questions as # 2
    5. Assignment given: more technical questions, some problem solving questions
    6. In person with manager and director to review assignment and discuss hobbies
    7. Phone interview with VP to discuss career goals and hobbies
    8. Receive offer, accept offer, do background check, submit paperwork, begin working.

Total span was about 2 months from 1 to 8.

Interview Questions
    • How can you store extra information in a linked list without adding a new data member given that the memory is X byte aligned?   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate. My advice is not to be desperate and if you aren't happy, don't take it! Opt out of the bonus for an increase in base salary and ask for more OFFICIAL vacation.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2010.

Phone screen followed by 2 separate in person interviews with senior team members and team members. Final interview with director with two more senior members of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions about customer relationships, conflict, time management.   Answer Question

Software Testing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2012.

Easy interview, started off with introduction and moved on to behavioral questions and technical questions, standard behavioral questions and the technical questions were based mostly on software QA aspects.

no negotiation for interns