BlackBerry Interview Questions in United States

Updated Mar 16, 2015

Senior Applications Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2015.

I applied via the job portal of my university. I was promptly contacted by the Manager who was looking to hire for his team. He scheduled a phone interview with a senior developer on his team. It was a typical one hour phone screening interview. The senior developer started off by giving me a brief description of the nature of the work then moved over to the languages I could code in and finally onto a brief description of a project that I felt was most relevant to that discussion. This lead to an onsite interview with a developer, a team lead, a manager, a director and a VP. This lasted for about four hours.

The folks over at BB are very nice and treat you with respect and through professionalism. During the onsite interviews the manager gave a brief introduction of the team, the position and expectations from the new hire. This was followed by a technical interview by one of the developers on the team. He quizzed me on basic questions like sorting an input file and designing an efficient solution for implementing a contacts search for a phone; the kind that starts prompting you names based on the characters/numbers you have enter into the search field. I met with the team lead after this interview. He discussed relevant projects and work experience (internship and CoOp in my case. I had developed desktop applications in VB .Net for a Factory Automation team in the semiconductor industry.) and project work (focusing on experience following SW Dev/Engineering practices and models, conflict resolution, requirements gathering and documentation for long term support). This round was followed by a meeting with the VP. I feel he tried to gauge my expectations from the job, ambitions in my professional life and the general direction in which I wanted my career to grow. The last round was to analyze my critical thinking involving a puzzle/brain teaser. I am sure the problem he posed had no solution. This one made me nervous.

BB takes about 2 weeks to ponder over your interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how a smartphone would boot up?
      When do you think all the drivers would be loaded?

Answer Question
    • Given an input file of characters produce an output file that is sorted (English alphabet considered for the sake of simplicity. The o/p would look like: all the a's then all the A's then the b's then B's ....) State the data structures that'd be used, the reason for using them and the time complexity of the solution.   Answer Question
    • Design a contacts search for a phone. The solution should prompt you with all the contacts that'd match the characters keyed into the search box.
      Eg: For a contacts list having Adam, Alex and Arby's, keying in A should suggest Adam, Alex, Arby's while keying in Ad should suggest only Adam.
      State and explain the choice of data structures and explain the time complexity of the solution.

Answer Question
    • How does process scheduling work?
      How does the OS know that it's time to run the scheduler?
      What is a deadlock?
      When does a deadlock occur?
      What is priority inversion?
      What is a possible way of solving the problem of priority inversion?

Answer Question
    • How did you gather the requirements for the applications that you developed during your internship?
      How did you ascertain if what you understood matched what the customer asked for?
      (did you and the customer sign off on a req doc?)
      How did you make sure that what you were developing was stable and matched user expectations? (did you prototype and unit test? how?)

Mobile Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackBerry.

phone interview about 25 minutes. First the employer described the company and position. Then he asked me about one of my mobile projects on the resume. Then some follow up about the project. At last, he asked me if I have used some tools like git.

Radio Software Developer, Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2010.

For interns you submit a resume, transcript online. If you are selected then Phone-Interview of 1 hour. During the interview they asked a question from each of my completed 3rd software engineering courses.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because it was a standard Intern offer.

Radio Software Integration - Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2013.

I was emailed about the interview with the scheduled date and time. The phone interview lasted one hour. I was asked questions from everything on my resume. The questions were technical as well as behavorial. Two days later the HR called to inform me I got the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what happens from the time the WiFi adapter is switched on to the moment connection is established. Although I know the answer now, I was not thorough at the time I took the interview.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in November 2010.

Phone interview, followed by interview. The interview was an hour or hour and a half long, with multiple interviewers and included general questions, questions about previous jobs, and the "tell me about a time when ...." questions. I've had tougher interviews, but I've also had lighter ones.

Negotiated salary and got a bump from the initial offer

Software Developer, Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Initial communications began at the university careers fair, followed up with a phone call from Blackberry in Bellevue, WA. Interview was scheduled in the following week, for a summer internship position that would begin a few months after the screening process. There were also the usual series of background checks, but those were carried out after the interview process ended.

Interview Questions
    • Immediately write code with a sharpie without any points for reference, timed under 5 minutes. There was a simple scenario given, but it did not matter that much in reality.   Answer Question

Radio/Protocols Stack Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2012.

Applied online and got phone interview call based on background. After clearing phone interview I got called for on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on past projects, cache, hamming codes. C coding questions.   Answer Question

RF Test Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Applied online through the careers website. Got a call after 3+ weeks.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2009.

Interview process is relatively easy compared to the competitors, just couple of rounds of interviews and thats it. Hiring process is easy, but slow

Interview Questions
    Negotiation phase for fast and quick because of me.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in October 2010.

Hiring went well

Was able to negotiate salary