BlackBerry Interview Questions in United States

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Very easy, discussed project from previous internship

No negotiation

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2009.

Standard HR questions on "core competencies" - how would others describe you, are you available to relocate, the dreaded salary requirements, question - she pushed me to give a number (she was typing my answers into her PC, so it was clearly a screening interview. Some review of my resume material, clarifying dates and times etc. Nothing close to a technical question. Nothing unexpected.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in May 2010.

The interview questions were basic but still better than a lot of other interview questions I see. RIM's Chicago office is new and very nice.

There were a couple of programming questions. There were a lot of knowledge questions like "Do you know <X> technology or protocol". I got interviewed by 6 different people and I got a bit too tired at the end. It also didn't help that their most senior engineer interviewed me last after I was spent.

One warning to anyone considering RIM: Their HR is awful. For my interview they've invited me to Chicago. I filed my expenses (under $100 total) to be reimbursed but haven't gotten it yet in 2 months... I have emailed several times, tried to call. They respond and always say "This will be processed this week". Still waiting. Very unprofessional IMO. I'm glad I didn't take their offer. I found a similar job that paid ~ 10K better.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that extracts bits 1,2,9,10,19,20 from a 32-bit register and writes them to an 8 bit register.   View Answer

The offer was below my market rate and they refused to match my market rate. I also have to say the HR rep was often rude and clueless and that was a big turn off for me. I thought the management was very reasonable. I felt like the HR did a terrible job of communicating what I asked and why to them.

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2010.

The inicial communication was very good. First I received an email with the job posting. 2nd, Isent my resume withncover letter.
    After one day the company answred my email asking for a phone interview. The company did schedule an specific time which one of the recruter would contact by phone.
    The next day, the recruter contacted exactly at the right time. The phone interview was good, the recruter was very friendly.
    After that, sent me an email with an appointment for a face-to-face interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2010.

There was a panel of 3 interviewers. They asked about my projects related to operating system, kernel development. They wanted to know details of the projects. So anyone interviewing must go through all the projects on their resume. They just ask all details about them, how, why, any way you could have made it better.

Interview Questions
    • Details of the projects, whether done in c, c++ or any other language.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2010.

I applied online and received a phone interview invitation. The interview was a basic review of my background and qualifications. The recruiter was exceptionally professional and communicative.Was told by the end of the call that an in-person interview would be scheduled. Coordination was difficult and the first interview was rescheduled. I Interviewed with a manager 1:1 and also a panel interview with two peers at other locations. Questions were skill based and straight-forward. Time was an issue and the interview felt rushed. 90 minutes was insufficient to cover all aspects of the job. I did not receive an offer but strongly feel that the recruiter was the best I have dealt with in my search. The company has alot going on with rapid growth but they seem to maintain a small company feel. Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you did not do a good job with a customer/client.   Answer Question

Software Test Eng Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in December 2010.

How would you test a toy ladybug?

The culture seemed laid back, but they want workers that really know their stuff.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in November 2010.

This was for a product software development co-op position.
    The hiring manager sent out an email and contacted via phone to schedule an interview.
    The interviewer called right on time and asked JAVA questions.
    Basics of JAVA as well as implementation based questions asked.
    Got a call from the recruiter after 4 hours and they extended the offer.

Embedded Systems Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2011.

I applied for this position through university career center, then they called me and scheduled an interview oncampus. Interview was about 1 hour, initially interviewer inquired about my projects then he asked to write a code in C language. The questions were simple. After the interview I never heard from them.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in May 2011.

Received a call from an internal recruiter who offices in a different city and she phone screened me. I was then asked to go in for an onsite interview. The hiring manager and her direct report (the team) both met with me, and spent a long time to go over behavioral interview questions. Organized but relaxed atmosphere and the team meeting was nice. The next step was to meet with the director - but was informed that the position was frozen.

Interview Questions
    • I was provided with a scenario where three employee relations situations that all occurred at the same time. I was asked how I would handle each of them in what order, then asked why I chose to tackle them in the manner I described.   Answer Question