BlackBerry

Updated Oct 31, 2014

122 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

This is dependent on really who is seeking to hire you and who you know as well as what level you are applying for. They look at job experience and out of the box thinking. Problem solver

easy

Software Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Applied online through the BlackBerry site, was contacted less than a month later by email for a 30 minute phone interview. They sent an offer package a month or so later with about 10 documents that had to be signed and returned via the package that they sent. Overall it was a very smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • What scripting/UNIX projects have you worked on (Difficult for me since I hadn't done any)   View Answer
    They pay for extra luggage bag, airfare (round trip), transport from/to airport and 2 nights in a hotel.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2014.

Initially got contacted by HR for an one-hour interview, which was scheduled as an in-person interview as I live not far from the work place. The hiring manager met me and was interested in my one-year co-op experience at the company. I was evaluated on skills and experience desired for the position, and got the opportunity to learn more about the team. A second onsite interview was scheduled in about two weeks when I met other team members and was assessed on a few behavioral questions by HR. There are also more technical coding questions asked for evaluating the knowledge base and potential as a software developer. Both interviews went smooth and the hiring committee is nice and friendly.

After then it is reference check which was fairly quick that took one week, and background check and waiting period. I was called by HR about an offer around three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers know about my previous co-op performance and there are not too difficult technical questions. A couple of behavioral questions are asked, e.g., have you had experience in resolving conflict, what makes you get up everyday for work, etc. They are equally interested in evaluating interviewee's soft skills for a good fit to the team.   Answer Question
    As I am a new grad, there is not much negotiation. The hiring committee asked for my previous co-op salary and expected salary range, made a good offer that matched my experience and I accepted.

Safety Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

looking for intern jobs, rim gave me an interview about power and charging, just one phone interview and most of them are easy engineering basic questions and lab questions

Blackberry Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

It was back in 2005 and not sure if it is relevant any more. Got an email from HR person in RIM, he seemed to find my resume on Workopolis. After sending him my resume we arrange a phone pre-screening interview for about a half hour. After several days I had another phone interview with 3-4 tech people. Questions were easy - DNS, SMTP, HTTP, NTP, Linux and Solaris internals, FW, troubleshooting, etc. After passing that I got face2face interview in Waterloo office. It was semi formal interview with 4 people. Same type of questions, no problems answering them and was waiting when they really start asking HARD TECH questions (which i always enjoy on interviews). It turned out they were looking for general knowledge in *wide* area of skills as they planned to train the new hires for huge stack of *in-house* messaging applications which were *really* complex.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were easy. The range of questions was pretty wide - from load balancing and SQL queries to low level Linux stuff, troubleshooting network issues and tuning the kernel and TCP stack.   Answer Question

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

I applied through my campus recruitment portal (University of Waterloo), and heard back from them on time during the interviews period as one would expect.

The interview was at their head office here in Waterloo, and lasted around an hour. I arrived a bit late as I got delayed while leaving after a class, and they were completely understanding of it. The people seemed friendly in general, and my interviewers started off by talking about the job itself.

I was then asked a few general questions like 'Tell me about yourself...', 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?', 'Why do you want to do software testing?' and such. They then proceeded to the more technical questions related to the job itself such as testing methodologies, what would make a good bug report, and software testing scenarios.

Overall, it was a rather challenging interview as they did push for detailed answers and you had to think well on the spot for some of the scenarios. The position also involved working overtime for on-call duty to meet release schedules due to the nature of the team the job was for.

Their reply on the outcome of the interview came a few days later than expected, and resulted in some anxiety and confusion as they had promised to get back within a few weeks by the expected results time for our coop process here in UW.

Interview Questions
    • If one of the keys on the numpad didn't work (pressed but no input displayed) while dialing a call on your phone, how would you find what the problem could be?   View Answer
    • How would you test a microwave?   View Answer
    • If you had to release something by the evening, but only managed to complete a third of the tests by noon, how would you approach the situation?   View Answer

Software Development Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

Overall this was a great experience - Interviewed on a conference call with 3 people, all part of an individual team, all of which I would end up working with later on. Interview was based heavily on past experiences, some minor technical questions, and a logic question. Overall very relaxed environment, felt really good.

Interview Questions
    • You have a deck of 52 cards, and you have no way of telling which are face down and which are face up. You know 10 of them are face up. Find a way to return 2 stacks of cards with an equal number of face up cards.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Received an initial email that confirmed I was selected for interview by one of the hiring managers, then via email promptly scheduled for an interview over the phone, of which lasted an hour talking mostly precious experiences. One week after the interview I was given an email response congratulating me on landing the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest problem you had and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Campus Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Was hired through a Co-op role so had an internal job process. Very little salary negotiation was possible which was a mistake.

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2013.

Applied through Campus Recruiting and was contacted for a phone interview within a week

Interview Questions
    • If you were trying to calculate 5*9 on the Blackberry app and the digit 9 wouldn't display how would you test to see if it was a software or hardware problem   View Answer
    • If you were given a text box and a submit button with no other information, how would you test it   View Answer