BlackBerry Interview Questions in Waterloo, ON

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2012.

Interview process consisted of a technical phone interview and an on-site interview in front of a pannel. Most questions were one Java core and enterprise freatures and simple algorithmic problems.

Interview Questions
    • I can't reveal the questions becasue of the non-disclosure agreement I signed. But the topics covered was: multi-threading, recustion, http requests, java generics, spring IoC, XML parsing, software lifecycle, unit testing etc.   Answer Question

Their offer was very completitive with respect to Canadian job market. But I had a better offer from one of the global software giants.

Hardware Engineering Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2012.

Applied through the website, and was told of a phone interview with a couple of hardware engineers. No indication of the team or type of work.
    Interview started off with a discussion of my resume and projects on it. Interviewers were very friendly and it felt like a technical discussion, not an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe I2C hardware. How does a master communicate with multiple slave devices on the same data line?   View Answer
    • Explain the operation of a MOSFET transistor, and the causes of leakage current.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

DSP Firmware Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2012.

After the HR screening interview, I had a ~45 minutes interview with 2 engineers. The interview questions were mainly C and testing questions. The questions required a good knowledge of C and the basic principles of testing; the interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Is there a way to find out the size of an allocated portion of memory?   View Answer

I had an offer that aligned more with my career goals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

The employer gave me a call and invited me for an interview. During the interview process the employer asked me about several skills test questions. Most of them were general and didn't involve solving anything on paper.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

Simply questions like "what different between overload and override?"

Interview Questions
    Maybe you can negotiate vacation days

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

Interview process started with an HR phone screen. After this 3 in person interviews took place. Interviews were fairly technical, but not of very high difficulty. They were of medium dificulty.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in October 2011.

I met the hiring and the HR person at my university's information session. They talked to me for 15 minutes and explained the job, I handed my resume to them. A week later I got an email from the HR person to come for an interview. The interview was combination of behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • All questions pretty standard i.e talk about your previous experiences ... how are you a good fit for RIM ... what skills are you bringing to RIM ...   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in July 2011.

Process was simple and professional. The interviewer was more interested in team fit than a specific set of experience. Met with potential team members as well. Relaxed yet professional atmosphere, HR was not very involved.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry in May 2011.

RIM has a well organized recruiting fair that it uses to sift through all applicants to find it's key prospects and candidates. I was surprised at the average age of the employees and staff involved. RIM seems to have a very young workforce. The interview process and people were very professional and positive. Upon talking closely with the various staff, I was also surprised at the level of work experience, both in total and with RIM itself. It was common that the current employees had only been in their positions for several months to 1 or 2 years. People with 5+ years in RIM were extremely rare. As mentioned before, most employees seem to be fresh graduates or with a couple to few years experience. The company campus was extensive and impressive. The company is well organized and has a small business environment with a large, youthful staff, which is why I suspect turnover is high and also due to high degree of university hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would interface technically with a potential shut down of your project and how would you turn this situation around.   Answer Question

Due to the highly unstable future of RIM and the numerous negative business and financial outlooks it seems to be plagued with, further pursuit was postponed.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

Applied online. Get phone interview for twice. A short HR phone interview and a longer technical phone interview. After a few weeks, on site interview with 3 pairs of interviewers. A week later for a last 1:1 onsite interview. Many detailed questions. Make sure you prepare as much details as possible, no matter phone interview or on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the system you worked on with block diagrams.   Answer Question