BlackBerry

Updated Oct 31, 2014

122 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

DSP Firmware Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2012.

After the HR screening interview, I had a ~45 minutes interview with 2 engineers. The interview questions were mainly C and testing questions. The questions required a good knowledge of C and the basic principles of testing; the interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Is there a way to find out the size of an allocated portion of memory?   View Answer

I had an offer that aligned more with my career goals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

The employer gave me a call and invited me for an interview. During the interview process the employer asked me about several skills test questions. Most of them were general and didn't involve solving anything on paper.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

Simply questions like "what different between overload and override?"

Interview Questions
    Maybe you can negotiate vacation days

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2012.

Interview process started with an HR phone screen. After this 3 in person interviews took place. Interviews were fairly technical, but not of very high difficulty. They were of medium dificulty.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in October 2011.

I met the hiring and the HR person at my university's information session. They talked to me for 15 minutes and explained the job, I handed my resume to them. A week later I got an email from the HR person to come for an interview. The interview was combination of behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • All questions pretty standard i.e talk about your previous experiences ... how are you a good fit for RIM ... what skills are you bringing to RIM ...   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry in May 2011.

RIM has a well organized recruiting fair that it uses to sift through all applicants to find it's key prospects and candidates. I was surprised at the average age of the employees and staff involved. RIM seems to have a very young workforce. The interview process and people were very professional and positive. Upon talking closely with the various staff, I was also surprised at the level of work experience, both in total and with RIM itself. It was common that the current employees had only been in their positions for several months to 1 or 2 years. People with 5+ years in RIM were extremely rare. As mentioned before, most employees seem to be fresh graduates or with a couple to few years experience. The company campus was extensive and impressive. The company is well organized and has a small business environment with a large, youthful staff, which is why I suspect turnover is high and also due to high degree of university hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would interface technically with a potential shut down of your project and how would you turn this situation around.   Answer Question

Due to the highly unstable future of RIM and the numerous negative business and financial outlooks it seems to be plagued with, further pursuit was postponed.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

Applied online. Get phone interview for twice. A short HR phone interview and a longer technical phone interview. After a few weeks, on site interview with 3 pairs of interviewers. A week later for a last 1:1 onsite interview. Many detailed questions. Make sure you prepare as much details as possible, no matter phone interview or on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the system you worked on with block diagrams.   Answer Question

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

Setup a meeting date with the manager of the team for the position of Application Developer, he asked me a bunch of profiling questions such as what I look for in a company or where I would like to be in a few years. After this the technical interview started, this was heavily database oriented, do you know the difference between different types of joins, can you create schema with so and so relationships, etc. After this was the written part (on a whiteboard) where I was given a problem solving question...something along the lines of "how would you go about finding out how many mechanic shops are in this city, doesn't have to be correct but mathematically take me through your process". After all this (roughly an hour interview) I received a call back two days late and accepted the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about finding out how many mechanic shops are in this city, doesn't have to be correct but mathematically take me through the process (written on whiteboard).   Answer Question
    • Describe what a left join does (sql)   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate anything as everything was satisfying for me.

Candidate Care Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in April 2011.

Was referred by a Director, the Hiring Manager reached out to me directly via email asking if I was interested in the role. Had 1 interview with a panel of 3 interviewers, all from OD. Interview was fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    • Typical HR questions, nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    Asked for higher salary but offer was final.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2011.

Pretty quick response after applying. Three interviews required. First by phone with recruiter. Second by phone with Hiring Manager. Third in person with Hiring Manager and Director. Interviews made me feel quite at ease – were great to speak with. Questions were all relevant – no questions to “trip you up”. Great new building with lots of free parking and a cafeteria.

Interview Questions
    • Do not recall any questions being too difficult or unexpected. Come prepared with examples to share about the most complex projects, techniques for motivating teams, your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question
    The offer was higher than what I expected, so no need to negotiate. Vacation was also what I wanted.