BlackRock

Updated Aug 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Analyst

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in May 2008.

Interview Details – Applied on line. They called me in about a week. I had 2 interviews where I met a total of 7 managers. It was quite intensive.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, I took the nice salary they offered.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in July 2010.

Interview Details – The phone interview was directly with management, very thorough CV questions. SuperDay was rough, first a panel (nice team) asking mostly CV and fit questions, then a 1:1 (aggressive), up to now not sure if it was a meant to be a stress interview or the guy was just annoyed by me being there. That being said, know a lot of detail about the company. Felt like interview skills were being tested more than actual technical skills. Questions on conflict and lying.

Interview Question – Last time you lied.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2011.

Interview Details – These guys impressed me. Lots of how you think questions and less how you remember questions. Going through the resume and listening to me belt out rehearsed answers is, in the end, a waste of everyone's time. Maybe its that they are not interested in being in the same trades as everyone else. Lots of tough ex-lehman employees

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2011.

Interview Details – Recruitment process was very well-organised and professional, and HR got back very promptly, within the same day/next day.
1st interview was 2 one-to-ones with senior people; very wide-ranging from interests and fit to technical questions.
Assessment centre took place 1 week later, and consisted of a group exercise, 2 more one-to-ones and an individual presentation.
Everyone I met in the process seemed very down-to-earth.

Interview Question – When was the last time you lied? (Context: after question re. value of integrity in this business)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

Interview Details – Directly called me for interview. Asked about my CV. projects I had done.
Then numerical questions on bonds, mortgages, derivatives were asked. They ask us to explain everything in detail.

Interview Question – They asked me to derive certain formulas we use in Finance. You need to be very clear about basics.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BlackRock in August 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by two in-person interviews. The whole hiring process takes quite a while and there is tons of paperwork, background checks, etc. It also took forever between the last interview and when I was finally offered the job. The whole process took about 2 months. Multiple departments tend to be hiring at the same time so don't hesitate to gently ask the recruiter if there may be more than one position you are qualified for.

Interview Question – Lots of case study related questions. i.e. what would you do in a particular situation. There were a few industry related questions but nothing too specific. If you do your homework on financial services and particularly the area you are interviewing for you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't too much negotiation. Your main point of negotiation is your salary history and making sure you get a certain percentage over your current salary. In general though the pay is good. I was able to get a 20% bump over what I was making at my previous company.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty robust, though I expect it varies depending on the team. Failed an interview the first time I applied, passed the second time. As a person with a non-finance and non-programming background, I had questions ranging from general knowledge to puzzles to project management to my extra-curricular interests in coding (some of them were pretty hard problems) and technology stocks. Interview process is fairly lengthy but they have a phone/on-campus screen and then only one SuperDay (final rounds) so it's not unfairly tiring. You get to meet a fair number of members of the hiring team in rotation, so there's a fair diversity. I believe that's pretty standard.

Interview Question – (Open-ended) (I had mentioned that I follow tech stocks closely) How would you invest $N in, say, (insert tech gint like Google/Facebook/Apple/Yahoo/Microsoft) ? What options would you take - stocks, bonds, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation. I think the numbers are pretty standard firm-wide for entry-level positions.

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

Interview Details – Got a referral for BlackRock.
Then i received a call from the HR. I had an offer in hand,so the HR wanted to discuss the salary before even having a telephonic technical discussion/screening.

Telephonic Interviewer again started discussing salary first. I do not know why they are fearing screening people. See whether you need him/her first.

I always used to think a product base firm like BlackRock pays higher than others. But its a myth.

Interview Question – We cannot offer you the package you already have. Would you want to continue the interview ?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – first round interviews on campus. super-days are all day with back to back. lunch break with analysts. mostly were behavior interviews, knowledge of finance, why this firm, why this industry/asset management.

Negotiation Details – NA. general analyst class

Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2012.

Interview Details – Got an interview for risk analyst. been interviewed by 3 different people, about 30 min each. very straight forward, non tricky questions. technical and competency based questions.

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!