BlackRock

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.2

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in May 2008.

Applied on line. They called me in about a week. I had 2 interviews where I met a total of 7 managers. It was quite intensive.

Interview Questions
I didn't negotiate, I took the nice salary they offered.

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in July 2010.

The phone interview was directly with management, very thorough CV questions. SuperDay was rough, first a panel (nice team) asking mostly CV and fit questions, then a 1:1 (aggressive), up to now not sure if it was a meant to be a stress interview or the guy was just annoyed by me being there. That being said, know a lot of detail about the company. Felt like interview skills were being tested more than actual technical skills. Questions on conflict and lying.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2011.

These guys impressed me. Lots of how you think questions and less how you remember questions. Going through the resume and listening to me belt out rehearsed answers is, in the end, a waste of everyone's time. Maybe its that they are not interested in being in the same trades as everyone else. Lots of tough ex-lehman employees

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in December 2011.

Recruitment process was very well-organised and professional, and HR got back very promptly, within the same day/next day.
    1st interview was 2 one-to-ones with senior people; very wide-ranging from interests and fit to technical questions.
    Assessment centre took place 1 week later, and consisted of a group exercise, 2 more one-to-ones and an individual presentation.
    Everyone I met in the process seemed very down-to-earth.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you lied? (Context: after question re. value of integrity in this business)   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

Directly called me for interview. Asked about my CV. projects I had done.
    Then numerical questions on bonds, mortgages, derivatives were asked. They ask us to explain everything in detail.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to derive certain formulas we use in Finance. You need to be very clear about basics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in August 2010.

Phone interview, followed by two in-person interviews. The whole hiring process takes quite a while and there is tons of paperwork, background checks, etc. It also took forever between the last interview and when I was finally offered the job. The whole process took about 2 months. Multiple departments tend to be hiring at the same time so don't hesitate to gently ask the recruiter if there may be more than one position you are qualified for.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of case study related questions. i.e. what would you do in a particular situation. There were a few industry related questions but nothing too specific. If you do your homework on financial services and particularly the area you are interviewing for you will be fine.   Answer Question
    There wasn't too much negotiation. Your main point of negotiation is your salary history and making sure you get a certain percentage over your current salary. In general though the pay is good. I was able to get a 20% bump over what I was making at my previous company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

Pretty robust, though I expect it varies depending on the team. Failed an interview the first time I applied, passed the second time. As a person with a non-finance and non-programming background, I had questions ranging from general knowledge to puzzles to project management to my extra-curricular interests in coding (some of them were pretty hard problems) and technology stocks. Interview process is fairly lengthy but they have a phone/on-campus screen and then only one SuperDay (final rounds) so it's not unfairly tiring. You get to meet a fair number of members of the hiring team in rotation, so there's a fair diversity. I believe that's pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • (Open-ended) (I had mentioned that I follow tech stocks closely) How would you invest $N in, say, (insert tech gint like Google/Facebook/Apple/Yahoo/Microsoft) ? What options would you take - stocks, bonds, etc.   View Answer
    No real negotiation. I think the numbers are pretty standard firm-wide for entry-level positions.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

Got a referral for BlackRock.
    Then i received a call from the HR. I had an offer in hand,so the HR wanted to discuss the salary before even having a telephonic technical discussion/screening.

Telephonic Interviewer again started discussing salary first. I do not know why they are fearing screening people. See whether you need him/her first.

I always used to think a product base firm like BlackRock pays higher than others. But its a myth.

Interview Questions
    • We cannot offer you the package you already have. Would you want to continue the interview ?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in November 2013.

2 Weeks, 6 Interviews: commercial awareness, technical, brain teasers, guesstimates etc. Similar to banking, but depends a lot on what you have applied to. Overall good experience, you get to meet the people you'll be working with.

No negotiation

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Resume submit on school career website - on campus interview - on site interview. I had a super day at the end of October and now I'm waiting. It's been over a week -- anyone heard back?