BlackRock

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Average Difficulty
31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at BlackRock

Interview Details – I had the first round phone interview with HR and am now waiting to hear back for next steps.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, mostly behavior questions, eg. why blackrock, why mutual funds? are you detail oriented?   Answer Question

Interviewed at BlackRock

Interview Details – 5 Technical interviews with the team with which you would be working.
1 HR interview
1 interview with the manager

Interview Question – What you liked most about your present company and what would you like to change in it.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by on site. One person on phone will ask basic fit questions. On site there were at least eight interviewers from different departments. Various technical questions, and situation based questions are asked.

Interview Question – A mathematical based questions required to calculate how many diamonds of 1 ct can you fit into a room   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer

Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – Took about a month for the whole process. Applied online, received phone interview (with HR)-tell my about your resume, background, etc. general questions. Then group interview with managers (3) about 30 mins. each.

Interview Question – Why BlackRock?
What is an put/call?
Tell me about your resume (Walk them through it)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate but was unsuccessful, I just accepted their initial offer.

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – These people ask basic java question, as people in blackrock are not that technically sound and work mainly on perl, m-perl

Interview Question – May ask some finance terms   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 1 week

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2008.

Interview Details – Interview questions were generally behavioral. A great deal of emphasis was placed on a long-term interest in asset management specifically (i.e.-- candidate should be committed to the field for several years and not harbor desires to leverage over to IBD or S&T at another shop). There were no "technical" questions, per se, but there were a few "gotcha" questions-- was asked what the Dow Index was at that morning, what the US 10 year was, etc. etc. Interviewer was not looking for decimal-level accuracy, and was instead gauging how closely one followed the markets in general. A few generic questions about where I foresaw markets going over the next 12 months, etc.-- he challenged a few of my points presumably to see how I could think on my feet. Generally he was a nice guy and the interview was casual.

Interview Questions

• Approximately, what is the Dow at this morning? What is the 10-year treasury trading at? What is the S&P 500 trading at?   View Answer
  • Pitch me a stock in the present market. Pitch me a country or an industry sector that you think has potential over the next 12 months.   View Answer

Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online through a college recruiting website and got an interview for a financial analyst position. The interviewer seemed uninterested in the interview process and was not engaging at all. I don't know why a company would send someone who doesn't like to talk to people to conduct on campus interviews. Anyway, the interview went ok, basic questions about my interests and team experiences then I got a chance to ask about BlackRock but it doesn't seem like a place I'd like to work.

Interview Question – Tell me about a negative team experience you have had and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2009.

Interview Details – Pretty much straight forward finance interview. A lot of behavioral and fit questions considering it was a firmwide analyst hire. Got the interview through a resume drop to the college career center. one-to-one interviews. Though I thought the interview was very conversational, the interviewer wasn't very interested in what I have to say about my resume, which kind of set me off a bit. Other than that, I have heard that the firm is very horizontal in structure and diverse in academic sense.

Interview Questions

Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2008.

Interview Details – I got the interview from on-campus recruiting. They ask most behavior questions for the first round. The first question I remembered is "What's the CEO's name?" and other fairly common questions like why do you like finance, why choose this school etc..
People are general friendly and helpful, but I heard from friends who did get the job that it's very long hour and stressful, probably not great for ladies.

Interview Question – what's CEO's name   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Interview Details – I got an on-campus interview with one employee in the solution team. There were basically no behavioral questions. Several technical questions, consisted of math, programming. They got back to me that evening, gave me the on-site interview.

Interview Question – concept of object oriented programming   Answer Question

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!