BlackRock

Updated Jan 7, 2015
Updated Jan 7, 2015

3.2

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Phone interview followed by on site. One person on phone will ask basic fit questions. On site there were at least eight interviewers from different departments. Various technical questions, and situation based questions are asked.

Interview Questions
  • A mathematical based questions required to calculate how many diamonds of 1 ct can you fit into a room   Answer Question

Had another offer

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Fairly drawn out process, several interviews with different groups, finally met with my target group and interviewed with 3 md's and a vp. The recruiter that I had been in touch with was particularly helpful.

Interview Questions
    • No real technicals--unexpected questions were more just diving deep into my answers on behaviorals   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

first round interviews on campus. super-days are all day with back to back. lunch break with analysts. mostly were behavior interviews, knowledge of finance, why this firm, why this industry/asset management.

NA. general analyst class

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

Pretty robust, though I expect it varies depending on the team. Failed an interview the first time I applied, passed the second time. As a person with a non-finance and non-programming background, I had questions ranging from general knowledge to puzzles to project management to my extra-curricular interests in coding (some of them were pretty hard problems) and technology stocks. Interview process is fairly lengthy but they have a phone/on-campus screen and then only one SuperDay (final rounds) so it's not unfairly tiring. You get to meet a fair number of members of the hiring team in rotation, so there's a fair diversity. I believe that's pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • (Open-ended) (I had mentioned that I follow tech stocks closely) How would you invest $N in, say, (insert tech gint like Google/Facebook/Apple/Yahoo/Microsoft) ? What options would you take - stocks, bonds, etc.   View Answer
    No real negotiation. I think the numbers are pretty standard firm-wide for entry-level positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied in-person – interviewed at BlackRock.

not professional, at least in my department.

none.

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

got called to come in for interviews... met with a bunch of high level management .. nothing difficult... just a standard interview with formal convo

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2011.

These guys impressed me. Lots of how you think questions and less how you remember questions. Going through the resume and listening to me belt out rehearsed answers is, in the end, a waste of everyone's time. Maybe its that they are not interested in being in the same trades as everyone else. Lots of tough ex-lehman employees

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2011.

Candidates are initially screened by HR representatives. Those that pass the first round are then reviewed by anywhere from 2-4 full time employees, with those reviewers ranging from analysts to director level personnel. Then there will be an initial phone screen by a hiring committee manager. If the candidate seems like they will be a good personality fit, they are brought in for a "super day" interview, where they will see up to 6 other people, often being interviewed in a panel format. There will also be a group exercise to test their teamworking and critical thinking skills.

Interview Questions
    • When have you been innovative or entrepreneurial? What is the biggest challenged you've faced so far?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in August 2010.

Phone interview, followed by two in-person interviews. The whole hiring process takes quite a while and there is tons of paperwork, background checks, etc. It also took forever between the last interview and when I was finally offered the job. The whole process took about 2 months. Multiple departments tend to be hiring at the same time so don't hesitate to gently ask the recruiter if there may be more than one position you are qualified for.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of case study related questions. i.e. what would you do in a particular situation. There were a few industry related questions but nothing too specific. If you do your homework on financial services and particularly the area you are interviewing for you will be fine.   Answer Question
    There wasn't too much negotiation. Your main point of negotiation is your salary history and making sure you get a certain percentage over your current salary. In general though the pay is good. I was able to get a 20% bump over what I was making at my previous company.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in July 2010.

The phone interview was directly with management, very thorough CV questions. SuperDay was rough, first a panel (nice team) asking mostly CV and fit questions, then a 1:1 (aggressive), up to now not sure if it was a meant to be a stress interview or the guy was just annoyed by me being there. That being said, know a lot of detail about the company. Felt like interview skills were being tested more than actual technical skills. Questions on conflict and lying.