BlackRock Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I met with a director of the specific group during the first round of interviews. During the second round of interviews, I met with a group of 5 people within the same group. These individuals ranked from associate to co-director. All of the interview questions were very fair. They asked me to specifically describe my experience in previous positions and wanted me to display a clear interest/passion for the specific industry (alternatives - real estate).

Interview Questions

• Why specifically do you want to work within this division of the group?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Associate Interview

Interview

contacted through email to set up a video interview after 5 days of online application interview had basic question about me and about the company not many technical questions however it was weird seeing your self being recorded

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at BlackRock in July 2013.

Interview

Multiple rounds Online test, followed by coding and design excercise A Panel/gorup interview 2 1X1Interviews with VP 1 1X1 discussion with onshore VP 1 Interview with the director Discussion with HR Interview process was a learning experience in itself. Had a good experience

Interview Questions

• About company strategy and how your goals align with it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed for contracting for Java developer position a year back. People are cool, lot of Financial questions, normal Java developer may not get through it. As I am Financial savy person I could do it. .. In general interviews at Black Rock San Francisco are tough. I was selected and worked for 9 months, because of budget cuts could not renew or convert as FT. Now team called me back for FT position, since they know me, interview was easy sail. HR interview and processing is not so common as I expected. I have asked my expected salary, they came up with the package with same figure (but bonus and benefits included in that), which is very uncommon in IT industry. You usually ask for a salary and bonus on top of the salary. Offer was not that great, just median salary of San Francisco Bay Area, which is definitely not expected from top notch financial company. Benefits are also not par with financial industry, only 50 pc match of 401k and 3 years vesting time, and max of 5k limit of matching. Only good benefit is unlimited sick time, which disappeared in lot of companies already. Having 10 + years of programming experience, BlackRock offered only median salary of Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• There is no negotiation of salary in Black Rock, they will come up with an offer and either you accept it or reject it   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview followed by 1:1 by 4 people. Questions were challenging with focus on multi threading and advanced java. Was interviewed by the team I would be working for so this hellped get an understanding of team culture and they level of expertise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I was referred to the job by a friend for a specific position. I was asked to interview with six people over the course of four hours. I was then asked to return for a series of follow-up interviews with another four employees for over two hours a week later. I was offered the job less than two weeks after the initial series of interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to evaluate how to I would introduce a new product to a new market and what processes or resources I would need in order to ensure a successful product launch. I was also asked why I was leaving a fairly lucrative and successful investment banking job to join a larger corporation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I attempted to negotiate a higher starting salary but was unsuccessful in getting more money. I accepted the initial offer presented.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process went well. BlackRock interviews are different and less structured than other financial services companies. It made it easy to tell my story and control the direction of the interview. I would give myself an A rating for the interview. Unfortunately, when I heard back about a second round, BlackRock informed me that rather than not being selected for a second round, they were not looking to fill the position any more.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you worked very hard for something but were not able to achieve the goal.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

Interview

First interview was with HR recruiter, consisting of usual questions on career history, expectations, etc. Next step interview was with the direct reporting manager and one of the colleague with technical questions. Third interview was with mid-level management, discussing more on the high-level perspective, as well as introduction on the company's background. And final interview was with the HR recruiter again to wrap up with the package, starting date, etc.

Interview Questions

• So long as we have the technical expertise, all the technical questions should not be an issue. However, the question regarding the strategy might be tricky, as it is heavily related to the current situation of the firm or the team themselves.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, NM) in June 2010.

Interview

Internal recruiters call for screening. This is followed by interview with team and then with direct manager and their leadership team. The entire process is less than a month long.

Negotiation

Not much room. This is made clear.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview screening with HR is literally to see if you want to be submitted to the team. Once the team approves, they setup the in office interview. You have to meet with pretty much half the team at the very least as well as a few people from related teams. I interviewed with 12-13 people total for 20 mins each over a span of 3 days. They seem to ask the same questions and then at the end of the process they decide if you are going to be easy to work with yet know your stuff and get stuff done.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was short because they have a set salary for how many years experience for your title level. Was not able to get even a small increase.