BlackRock

Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.1

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in December 2009.

Pretty tough but very thorough - asked a lot on market situation and were interested to know what I thought was the cause of the economic crises. A group of highly intelligent, very friendly people. Off-putting in the sense that the interviewers asked technical questions in a pretty conversational, casual manner. One thing - they take weeks to get back to you post Superday, which i thought was pretty strange for such a well-run company, but didn't get offer. The on-campus interview before that was very conversational, almost no behavioral or fit, just a casual conversation on where we both thought markets were heading and what we considered to be the future of Asset Management. Overall lots of fun but pretty stressful.

Interview Questions
  • If you started working with our team tomorrow, what would be the first thing you asked to look at?   Answer Question
  • what do you think caused the collapse of the market?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackRock in July 2012.

I was interviewed for contracting for Java developer position a year back. People are cool, lot of Financial questions, normal Java developer may not get through it. As I am Financial savy person I could do it. .. In general interviews at Black Rock San Francisco are tough.
    I was selected and worked for 9 months, because of budget cuts could not renew or convert as FT. Now team called me back for FT position, since they know me, interview was easy sail. HR interview and processing is not so common as I expected. I have asked my expected salary, they came up with the package with same figure (but bonus and benefits included in that), which is very uncommon in IT industry. You usually ask for a salary and bonus on top of the salary. Offer was not that great, just median salary of San Francisco Bay Area, which is definitely not expected from top notch financial company. Benefits are also not par with financial industry, only 50 pc match of 401k and 3 years vesting time, and max of 5k limit of matching. Only good benefit is unlimited sick time, which disappeared in lot of companies already. Having 10 + years of programming experience, BlackRock offered only median salary of Bay Area.

Interview Questions
    • There is no negotiation of salary in Black Rock, they will come up with an offer and either you accept it or reject it   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2010.

Phone interview screening with HR is literally to see if you want to be submitted to the team. Once the team approves, they setup the in office interview. You have to meet with pretty much half the team at the very least as well as a few people from related teams. I interviewed with 12-13 people total for 20 mins each over a span of 3 days. They seem to ask the same questions and then at the end of the process they decide if you are going to be easy to work with yet know your stuff and get stuff done.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was short because they have a set salary for how many years experience for your title level. Was not able to get even a small increase.

Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock.

Call from HUMAN RESOURCE, Written test with Excel and fiance questions, 3 rounds of interview, interview with process head then final negotiation with HR. It is same as most companies followed in Delhi NCR.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in June 2010.

Internal recruiters call for screening. This is followed by interview with team and then with direct manager and their leadership team. The entire process is less than a month long.

Not much room. This is made clear.

Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at BlackRock in July 2013.

Multiple rounds
    Online test, followed by coding and design excercise
    A Panel/gorup interview
    2 1X1Interviews with VP
    1 1X1 discussion with onshore VP
    1 Interview with the director
    Discussion with HR

Interview process was a learning experience in itself. Had a good experience

Interview Questions
    • About company strategy and how your goals align with it   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2011.

Went through a recruitment agency. All new positions are dealt via the regional head office in Hong Kong so the recruiter never gets to meet your eventual manager. I had a phone interview with HR in Hong Kong and then three interviews - one with the hiring manager and two with with senior stakeholders.

Interview Questions
    • The questions from HR were the standard behavioral type questions such as "how do you work in a team", "how do you deal with difficult stakeholders" etc. Stakeholder questions were more about what I had accomplished in previous roles.   Answer Question
    It took a week from the final interview to receiving the offer as everything has to go via the Hong Kong office. The recruiter tried to get me to accept for less money, which I refused. The background check is horrendous, they want every tiny detail, including high school contact details (I have been working for 20 years) and pay slips from former employers.

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

First interview was with HR recruiter, consisting of usual questions on career history, expectations, etc. Next step interview was with the direct reporting manager and one of the colleague with technical questions. Third interview was with mid-level management, discussing more on the high-level perspective, as well as introduction on the company's background. And final interview was with the HR recruiter again to wrap up with the package, starting date, etc.

Interview Questions
    • So long as we have the technical expertise, all the technical questions should not be an issue. However, the question regarding the strategy might be tricky, as it is heavily related to the current situation of the firm or the team themselves.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2008.

Interview was somewhat quantitative, but friendly. Make sure you are comfortable with what you are talking about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in December 2011.

I was referred to the job by a friend for a specific position. I was asked to interview with six people over the course of four hours. I was then asked to return for a series of follow-up interviews with another four employees for over two hours a week later. I was offered the job less than two weeks after the initial series of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to evaluate how to I would introduce a new product to a new market and what processes or resources I would need in order to ensure a successful product launch. I was also asked why I was leaving a fairly lucrative and successful investment banking job to join a larger corporation.   Answer Question
    I attempted to negotiate a higher starting salary but was unsuccessful in getting more money. I accepted the initial offer presented.