BlackRock

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process went well. BlackRock interviews are different and less structured than other financial services companies. It made it easy to tell my story and control the direction of the interview. I would give myself an A rating for the interview. Unfortunately, when I heard back about a second round, BlackRock informed me that rather than not being selected for a second round, they were not looking to fill the position any more.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you worked very hard for something but were not able to achieve the goal.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2010.

Interview Details – Organised and structured. Provided a very clear idea of BlackRock and the goals of the team I was joining.

Negotiation Details – Yes. I spoke to HR

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at BlackRock in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewer asked more on academics scores of graduation & MBA rather checking my knowledge

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – very poor

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in May 2012.

Interview Details – There was one telephonic round which was taken by a person to understand my skillset.

Interview Question – Database tunning   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2009.

Interview Details – 3 on site, 5 people each time

Interview Question – not many unexpected or difficult questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR tried to low-ball me.

London, England (UK)

The process took 3 days - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2008.

Interview Details – Interview was somewhat quantitative, but friendly. Make sure you are comfortable with what you are talking about.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5/10years?   Answer Question

Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2010.

Interview Details – I first applied online, got a call back and a phone interview, then came in to interview twice. After the second interview, I was offered the job. After negotiations ensued, I accepted the job. I took a drug test and had to be subjected to a background, credit and drug test before the offer was finalized.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes

Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in April 2011.

Interview Details – Panel interview face to face, then panel interview on video conference. Questions ranged from technical to thorough examination of CV. Test of basic maths and speed of calculation. Was also a get to know the person type of interview - they wanted to see how I could fit in to the people I would be working with.

Interview Question – Describe a reverse stock split.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was referred to the job by a friend for a specific position. I was asked to interview with six people over the course of four hours. I was then asked to return for a series of follow-up interviews with another four employees for over two hours a week later. I was offered the job less than two weeks after the initial series of interviews.

Interview Question – I was asked to evaluate how to I would introduce a new product to a new market and what processes or resources I would need in order to ensure a successful product launch. I was also asked why I was leaving a fairly lucrative and successful investment banking job to join a larger corporation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I attempted to negotiate a higher starting salary but was unsuccessful in getting more money. I accepted the initial offer presented.

Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

Interview Details – First interview was with HR recruiter, consisting of usual questions on career history, expectations, etc. Next step interview was with the direct reporting manager and one of the colleague with technical questions. Third interview was with mid-level management, discussing more on the high-level perspective, as well as introduction on the company's background. And final interview was with the HR recruiter again to wrap up with the package, starting date, etc.

Interview Question – So long as we have the technical expertise, all the technical questions should not be an issue. However, the question regarding the strategy might be tricky, as it is heavily related to the current situation of the firm or the team themselves.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BlackRock

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackRock Associate interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by BlackRock employees and interview candidates.