BlackRock Interview Questions in Edinburgh, Scotland

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.5

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the position and received an email a couple of weeks later with an invitation to an assessment centre. It consisted of 1 group exercise with a presentation, 3 one-on-one interviews and a problem-solving skill test. The group exercise wasn't hard and it is really no way to prepare for it. The presentation is 5 mins divided by 3 people so there is really not that much to talk about - be sure to stick to the requirements. Then I got into a room and the recruiters were coming in, one by one, to interview me. There were 3 interviews, each approximately 30 minutes. Very informal and pleasant, although I felt that they all asked me the same questions. Then there was a problem-solving skills test which consisted of 4 mathematical questions that someone read and I had to ask questions in order to get the information I need and solve the problem. It was very unusual and stressful to calculate something in front of the person assessing you, although the interviewer was very helpful. All in all, it was quite informal and pleasant experience. I got a call back the next day around 3 PM.

Interview Questions

• Why BlackRock, why this role, competency based questions about team work and creativity (very standard), how would you describe a database to a child   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

1st round is Phone call (one manager from ProdOps and one manager from DBA), lasts for 1 hour; and then the second round is video conference, three rounds in total.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2011.

Interview

Panel interview face to face, then panel interview on video conference. Questions ranged from technical to thorough examination of CV. Test of basic maths and speed of calculation. Was also a get to know the person type of interview - they wanted to see how I could fit in to the people I would be working with.

Settlements Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in September 2009.

Interview

The initial stage was a face to face interview for around 20 minutes. They didnt ask anything in specific but just general chat of my work expericence and reasons of why I am looking for a change in jobs. The highlight was, there was no competancy based questions. After a week, I got a feedback saying , the interviewer had gvien excellent feedback and they requested a second face to face interview. This time, I was interviewed by a VP. The interview, again this time, didnt not cover any questions that would asses my knowledge. But was a general chat of the role is and what will be expected to do. He seemed very positive about prospect of me joining the firm. He mentioned that since the first interview's feedback was excellent, I am no going to ask you any more question to asses your abilites. I gathered the courage to ask him , if he is happy to make me an offer and he replied affirmative to it. This 2nd interview lasted 20 minutes. They came back to me after 1.5 weeks saying that my experience didnt match with what they were looking for and thus they will not be offering this position to me. I was really gutted, because, the reasons they were giving were complete absurdt. If my experience didnt match, why did they call me for a second interview. And if I was called for a second interview, why wasnt my expereince questioned during the second interview.This experience really gave me a very bad impression about the professionalism of the firm and the managment involved.