BlackRock Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

First interview was on-campus. Questions included "why blackrock" and "walk me through a dcf." Second round was at their San Francisco office, consisting of four rounds. Questions were varied. There were brainteasers, strict technical questions (what is convexity? why is it important?), questions on market currents (what is QE? what is it supposed to be doing to the bond market/economy? what is actually occurring?) , theoretical questions on economics, current events (interview took place during Tunisia/Egypt uprisings) , and very specific questions about where certain indices were at (Dow Jones/S&P/etc).

Interview Questions

• What is convexity? How is it calculated? What does it tell you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Referred by a friend to the company. Screening phone call was entirely fit based and went great. Superday consisted of 4 30 minute interviews, and was a mix of behavioral and fix questions. Ex: What is quantitative easing?

Intern Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Interview

Went on "Super Day" so interviewed with several people. Be prepared to answer questions like "how would you value a company" and be prepared to talk about current economics events.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

1st round - phone call from HR
    2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a video interview over a skype-like service. They asked me behavioral questions. It was very based on my resume and past experience. I was interviewed by a second-year analyst. I felt like I was under pressure the entire time and she was waiting for me to make a mistake. To be fair, it was one of my first interview experiences so it may have been more difficult for me than others.

Interview Questions

• What is a trend in finance you have been following?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

4 interviews, all competency based. Took place on the same day along side a written question about the motivation to work at the firm. There was also a presentation about the firm from a current graduate in which some candidates let themselves down with unnecessary questions which stood out to the manager.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock (Singapore (Singapore)) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview was held at BlackRock at Anson Rd. Very elegant looking building with friendly staff. I was there about 15 mins early and waited for around 30-45mins, before i get to speak to the interviewer. It was a one-to-one interview and it wasn't that intimidating as i imagined it would be. No weird/tricky questions were asked, just the usual like how do you find the company, what's the company about, your strength and weakness etc.

Overall, pretty average interview experience

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you find the company?
      2. What are your strengths and weaknesses and why should we hire you?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Mostly competency based. Be prepared for standard 'fit' questions as well, and be ready to walk them through your resume. The technicals were relatively straightforward.

Consisted of two 30 minute interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from the recruiter about a week later. The internship position was to be part time in the local office and we scheduled a phone interview in the next couple days.

Phone interview was pretty easy and the interviewer was very nice. Just talked about qualifications and what the job would entail.

I followed up with the phone interview a week later and she told me that I didn't get the position. Though the later steps of the interview process I remember would be two more interviews with one with an actual graduate of my university and another with a manager. Pay was going to be a little low though.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about BlackRock and asset managed securities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by my campus recruiter to set up an on campus interview. Interview went fairly well. Questions involved some basic OOP concepts and the use of data structures. Three weeks later, I was called into the San Francisco office for a second round of interviews which went well. Second round consisted of around four interviews and questions were all mostly related to JAVA concepts and general system design.