BlackRock

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

First interview was on-campus. Questions included "why blackrock" and "walk me through a dcf." Second round was at their San Francisco office, consisting of four rounds. Questions were varied. There were brainteasers, strict technical questions (what is convexity? why is it important?), questions on market currents (what is QE? what is it supposed to be doing to the bond market/economy? what is actually occurring?) , theoretical questions on economics, current events (interview took place during Tunisia/Egypt uprisings) , and very specific questions about where certain indices were at (Dow Jones/S&P/etc).

Interview Questions
  • What is convexity? How is it calculated? What does it tell you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

Referred by a friend to the company. Screening phone call was entirely fit based and went great. Superday consisted of 4 30 minute interviews, and was a mix of behavioral and fix questions. Ex: What is quantitative easing?

Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Went on "Super Day" so interviewed with several people. Be prepared to answer questions like "how would you value a company" and be prepared to talk about current economics events.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

1st round - phone call from HR
    2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

Applied online and received an email from the recruiter about a week later. The internship position was to be part time in the local office and we scheduled a phone interview in the next couple days.

Phone interview was pretty easy and the interviewer was very nice. Just talked about qualifications and what the job would entail.

I followed up with the phone interview a week later and she told me that I didn't get the position. Though the later steps of the interview process I remember would be two more interviews with one with an actual graduate of my university and another with a manager. Pay was going to be a little low though.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about BlackRock and asset managed securities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

I was contacted by my campus recruiter to set up an on campus interview. Interview went fairly well. Questions involved some basic OOP concepts and the use of data structures. Three weeks later, I was called into the San Francisco office for a second round of interviews which went well. Second round consisted of around four interviews and questions were all mostly related to JAVA concepts and general system design.

Intern Interview

Interview on campus for the tech internship. The interviewer was friendly, but didn't ask really anything about me, just explained the position and BlackRock. Then we worked through a problem of how I would approach organizing a set of data. Overall, was a good experience, took them a week to offer a second round

Interview Questions
    • How I would set up a set of data to tailor to the client's request?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

I had a 30-minute on campus interview with one of Blackrock's VP of Sales. This preliminary interview was mostly behavioural in nature. Nothing out of the ordinary - questions were focussed on: your academic background, extra-curricular involvement, why you're interested in working at BlackRock, your strengths/weaknesses.

After this initial interview, I was invited to BlackRock's "Superday" at the local office. I had an interview with four of their employees (all of various tenures/seniority levels within the firm) for between 20-30 minutes per interviewer. Each of these four interviews varied quite a bit. In general, there was still mostly behaviourial with the occasional technical question thrown in. This is probably because the firm evaluates your technical ability with a short test at the end of your interview. The test was a little ambiguous and I was not particularly clear on what was asked. The individual who assigned the technical test essentially told me to look for errors in the tables of data and identify them - that was the extent of the instruction I received. In hindsight, I should have probably spent 30-60 seconds asking the interviewer for some additional details. In general, you should always do this for any of your interviews anyway... the worst that can happen is they'll say, "No". But if they do provide you with some additional details it could make the difference between knowing what is asked of you and confidently tackling the technical assessment or just sitting there feeling somewhat clueless about what it is that you're trying to look for (like I did).

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were the ones that are usually considered challenging for behavioural interviews:
      i.e.
      What are your weaknesses and what have you done to address them?
      Give me an example of a time when you were unable to get buy-in from a superior and/or boss, and how did you respond in that particular situation?
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

1st round is Phone call (one manager from ProdOps and one manager from DBA), lasts for 1 hour; and then the second round is video conference, three rounds in total.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

After resume drop, I received an invitation to an on campus interview. The interviewer was from the local office, though the position was for the NY office. The questions were all behavioral, no technical questions. I had applied to an internship posting for their IR team but ended up with an offer to join a different team.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected or difficult questions. The interviewer first asked me if I knew BLK was not a bank--I think they're used to stupid college kids who don't know what BLK is.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.