BlackRock Intern Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

First interview was on-campus. Questions included "why blackrock" and "walk me through a dcf." Second round was at their San Francisco office, consisting of four rounds. Questions were varied. There were brainteasers, strict technical questions (what is convexity? why is it important?), questions on market currents (what is QE? what is it supposed to be doing to the bond market/economy? what is actually occurring?) , theoretical questions on economics, current events (interview took place during Tunisia/Egypt uprisings) , and very specific questions about where certain indices were at (Dow Jones/S&P/etc).

Interview Questions
  • What is convexity? How is it calculated? What does it tell you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

Referred by a friend to the company. Screening phone call was entirely fit based and went great. Superday consisted of 4 30 minute interviews, and was a mix of behavioral and fix questions. Ex: What is quantitative easing?

Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Went on "Super Day" so interviewed with several people. Be prepared to answer questions like "how would you value a company" and be prepared to talk about current economics events.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

1st round - phone call from HR
    2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

I had a video interview over a skype-like service. They asked me behavioral questions. It was very based on my resume and past experience. I was interviewed by a second-year analyst. I felt like I was under pressure the entire time and she was waiting for me to make a mistake. To be fair, it was one of my first interview experiences so it may have been more difficult for me than others.

Interview Questions
    • What is a trend in finance you have been following?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

4 interviews, all competency based. Took place on the same day along side a written question about the motivation to work at the firm. There was also a presentation about the firm from a current graduate in which some candidates let themselves down with unnecessary questions which stood out to the manager.

Intern Interview

Mostly competency based. Be prepared for standard 'fit' questions as well, and be ready to walk them through your resume. The technicals were relatively straightforward.

Consisted of two 30 minute interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

Applied online and received an email from the recruiter about a week later. The internship position was to be part time in the local office and we scheduled a phone interview in the next couple days.

Phone interview was pretty easy and the interviewer was very nice. Just talked about qualifications and what the job would entail.

I followed up with the phone interview a week later and she told me that I didn't get the position. Though the later steps of the interview process I remember would be two more interviews with one with an actual graduate of my university and another with a manager. Pay was going to be a little low though.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about BlackRock and asset managed securities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

I was contacted by my campus recruiter to set up an on campus interview. Interview went fairly well. Questions involved some basic OOP concepts and the use of data structures. Three weeks later, I was called into the San Francisco office for a second round of interviews which went well. Second round consisted of around four interviews and questions were all mostly related to JAVA concepts and general system design.

Intern Interview

Interview on campus for the tech internship. The interviewer was friendly, but didn't ask really anything about me, just explained the position and BlackRock. Then we worked through a problem of how I would approach organizing a set of data. Overall, was a good experience, took them a week to offer a second round

Interview Questions
    • How I would set up a set of data to tailor to the client's request?   Answer Question