BlackRock

Updated Dec 6, 2014

3.2

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

After resume drop, I received an invitation to an on campus interview. The interviewer was from the local office, though the position was for the NY office. The questions were all behavioral, no technical questions. I had applied to an internship posting for their IR team but ended up with an offer to join a different team.

Interview Questions
  • There were no unexpected or difficult questions. The interviewer first asked me if I knew BLK was not a bank--I think they're used to stupid college kids who don't know what BLK is.   Answer Question
No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in April 2009.

Posted resume to campus career center. Had first round on campus. Went to NY for 4 1:1 interviews. Non-technical, but mostly knowledge and personality based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in May 2008.

I was a referral. They called me in and spoke to me one on one, then the rest of the group came in to speak with me. It was a normal interview with basic questions. I've heard that they do very technical interviews otherwise though. I would offer all other candidates to study their technicals and be ready to get grilled. The culture is very tense and everyone is on the verge of going off on the next person.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you took control of a group and failed   View Answer
    There was no negotiation

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

1st round is Phone call (one manager from ProdOps and one manager from DBA), lasts for 1 hour; and then the second round is video conference, three rounds in total.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

1st round - phone call from HR
    2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

I had a 30-minute on campus interview with one of Blackrock's VP of Sales. This preliminary interview was mostly behavioural in nature. Nothing out of the ordinary - questions were focussed on: your academic background, extra-curricular involvement, why you're interested in working at BlackRock, your strengths/weaknesses.

After this initial interview, I was invited to BlackRock's "Superday" at the local office. I had an interview with four of their employees (all of various tenures/seniority levels within the firm) for between 20-30 minutes per interviewer. Each of these four interviews varied quite a bit. In general, there was still mostly behaviourial with the occasional technical question thrown in. This is probably because the firm evaluates your technical ability with a short test at the end of your interview. The test was a little ambiguous and I was not particularly clear on what was asked. The individual who assigned the technical test essentially told me to look for errors in the tables of data and identify them - that was the extent of the instruction I received. In hindsight, I should have probably spent 30-60 seconds asking the interviewer for some additional details. In general, you should always do this for any of your interviews anyway... the worst that can happen is they'll say, "No". But if they do provide you with some additional details it could make the difference between knowing what is asked of you and confidently tackling the technical assessment or just sitting there feeling somewhat clueless about what it is that you're trying to look for (like I did).

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were the ones that are usually considered challenging for behavioural interviews:
      i.e.
      What are your weaknesses and what have you done to address them?
      Give me an example of a time when you were unable to get buy-in from a superior and/or boss, and how did you respond in that particular situation?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

First on-campus interview. The interviewer was really friendly and energetic. Got invited to super day at the Toronto office. Overall no really tough questions. BlackRock really values the 'fit', so make sure to study up on their corporate values and prepare for 2 hours of behaviour questions and some mini case studies during super day.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to form a marketing team, what would you look for?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Went on "Super Day" so interviewed with several people. Be prepared to answer questions like "how would you value a company" and be prepared to talk about current economics events.