BlackRock Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

First interview was on-campus. Questions included "why blackrock" and "walk me through a dcf." Second round was at their San Francisco office, consisting of four rounds. Questions were varied. There were brainteasers, strict technical questions (what is convexity? why is it important?), questions on market currents (what is QE? what is it supposed to be doing to the bond market/economy? what is actually occurring?) , theoretical questions on economics, current events (interview took place during Tunisia/Egypt uprisings) , and very specific questions about where certain indices were at (Dow Jones/S&P/etc).

Interview Questions

• What is convexity? How is it calculated? What does it tell you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Referred by a friend to the company. Screening phone call was entirely fit based and went great. Superday consisted of 4 30 minute interviews, and was a mix of behavioral and fix questions. Ex: What is quantitative easing?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Had a one on one interview at my schools career center. Pretty standard questions to assess fit and to determine interest in finance. Never felt intimidated or lacking in knowledge with the questions. Interview was 30 minutes but it seemed very short. Not a single question that was unexpected or I was unprepared for.

Interview Questions

• What are some current events that might have an impact on the markets?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Interview

After resume drop, I received an invitation to an on campus interview. The interviewer was from the local office, though the position was for the NY office. The questions were all behavioral, no technical questions. I had applied to an internship posting for their IR team but ended up with an offer to join a different team.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected or difficult questions. The interviewer first asked me if I knew BLK was not a bank--I think they're used to stupid college kids who don't know what BLK is.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

Posted resume to campus career center. Had first round on campus. Went to NY for 4 1:1 interviews. Non-technical, but mostly knowledge and personality based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in May 2008.

Interview

I was a referral. They called me in and spoke to me one on one, then the rest of the group came in to speak with me. It was a normal interview with basic questions. I've heard that they do very technical interviews otherwise though. I would offer all other candidates to study their technicals and be ready to get grilled. The culture is very tense and everyone is on the verge of going off on the next person.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you took control of a group and failed   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

4 interviews, all competency based. Took place on the same day along side a written question about the motivation to work at the firm. There was also a presentation about the firm from a current graduate in which some candidates let themselves down with unnecessary questions which stood out to the manager.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

1st round is Phone call (one manager from ProdOps and one manager from DBA), lasts for 1 hour; and then the second round is video conference, three rounds in total.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

1st round - phone call from HR
    2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

Interview

I had a 30-minute on campus interview with one of Blackrock's VP of Sales. This preliminary interview was mostly behavioural in nature. Nothing out of the ordinary - questions were focussed on: your academic background, extra-curricular involvement, why you're interested in working at BlackRock, your strengths/weaknesses.

After this initial interview, I was invited to BlackRock's "Superday" at the local office. I had an interview with four of their employees (all of various tenures/seniority levels within the firm) for between 20-30 minutes per interviewer. Each of these four interviews varied quite a bit. In general, there was still mostly behaviourial with the occasional technical question thrown in. This is probably because the firm evaluates your technical ability with a short test at the end of your interview. The test was a little ambiguous and I was not particularly clear on what was asked. The individual who assigned the technical test essentially told me to look for errors in the tables of data and identify them - that was the extent of the instruction I received. In hindsight, I should have probably spent 30-60 seconds asking the interviewer for some additional details. In general, you should always do this for any of your interviews anyway... the worst that can happen is they'll say, "No". But if they do provide you with some additional details it could make the difference between knowing what is asked of you and confidently tackling the technical assessment or just sitting there feeling somewhat clueless about what it is that you're trying to look for (like I did).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions were the ones that are usually considered challenging for behavioural interviews:
      i.e.
      What are your weaknesses and what have you done to address them?
      Give me an example of a time when you were unable to get buy-in from a superior and/or boss, and how did you respond in that particular situation?

Answer Question