BlackRock Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.1

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock in December 2009.

Interview

Pretty tough but very thorough - asked a lot on market situation and were interested to know what I thought was the cause of the economic crises. A group of highly intelligent, very friendly people. Off-putting in the sense that the interviewers asked technical questions in a pretty conversational, casual manner. One thing - they take weeks to get back to you post Superday, which i thought was pretty strange for such a well-run company, but didn't get offer. The on-campus interview before that was very conversational, almost no behavioral or fit, just a casual conversation on where we both thought markets were heading and what we considered to be the future of Asset Management. Overall lots of fun but pretty stressful.

Interview Questions

• If you started working with our team tomorrow, what would be the first thing you asked to look at?   Answer Question
    • what do you think caused the collapse of the market?   Answer Question

PAG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Asked a lot of questions about fixed income securities and economic data

Interview Questions

• When does unemployment come out?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

First interview was on-campus. Questions included "why blackrock" and "walk me through a dcf." Second round was at their San Francisco office, consisting of four rounds. Questions were varied. There were brainteasers, strict technical questions (what is convexity? why is it important?), questions on market currents (what is QE? what is it supposed to be doing to the bond market/economy? what is actually occurring?) , theoretical questions on economics, current events (interview took place during Tunisia/Egypt uprisings) , and very specific questions about where certain indices were at (Dow Jones/S&P/etc).

Interview Questions

• What is convexity? How is it calculated? What does it tell you?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in November 2010.

Interview

Excellent and very, very thorough. Done face to face and via vc

Negotiation

Don't just accept first offer

PAG Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

4 interviews, where they asked various technical questions.

Risk/Quant Alanlysis Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

no behavioral questions were asked. got right to the meat of it. economy-based questions, market questions, derivative questions. the effect of interest rate on different securities. monetary and fiscal policy. current events. predictions. however, more interested in the reasoning than the correct answer. will ask questions based on what you know from your resume

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock in September 2011.

Interview

BlackRock is definitely a great firm. There are a lot of intelligent and motivated people. Too bad I wasn't able to land an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is effective Duration?   Answer Question
    • Write me a sql that finds a client name from x database and y column   Answer Question
    • Explain a difficult concept you learned in school to someone who knows nothing about Finance.   Answer Question

Incident Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Three days, 2.5 hours each time. Video conference room, would speak with 5 or 6 people individually in 30 minute blocks. Interviewers were located globally and were at a director level and above. Asked if I had skill not listed in job description.

Interview Questions

• What process would you put in place to eliminate incidents.   Answer Question

Custody Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (Wilmington, DE).

Interview

8 hour interview meeting with 5 different people, which they don't tell you it's going to be that long, but you have to suck it up if you want the job. Each person gave a detailed description about what they do, what the company is about. benefits, etc. You meet with the big boss at the end and although it's tough, it's not unbearable. Try not to lose your patience.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Highly selective. On the assessment day there were 10 candidates competing for one position. One interviewer was friendly, another very harsh and strict.