BlackRock

Updated Feb 27, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

I applied online. Then I received email about vedio interview. I was required to log on a system then record interview. There was only two questions. After presented the question, I was given 10 minutes to prepare. First question is why this university and why this major. Second question is why this company why this position.

Summer Analyst Alternative Investments Relationship Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

Montage Video, first round. The videos can be rerecorded. The three questions after the introductory video are limited 1 minute 30 seconds each.
    I got feedback three days after the deadline for the video submission
    second round follows: 2x30 minutes interviews, covering competence, motivational and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What makes asset management and BlackRock attractive for your future career?   Answer Question
    • Describe your activities outside of class.   View Answer

PAG Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

Final Round: went to SF office. pretty chill. everyone was nice. mostly behavioral questions. 4 interviewers in 2 hours. really liked the team. and market questions too. very typical, but different from IB questions. make sure you know asset management company business. Blackrock's position in the industry is important.

Interview Questions
    • Q. Tell me about yourself / What did you do in the past internships? / what computer language did you use and how much do you know?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

I had my first technical interview over the phone where the interviewer shared a document for me to code. It was not a hard question. I was not very well prepared for coding on the stop when someone was looking at my process. Be able to code easy questions under pressure.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online for the position and received an email a couple of weeks later with an invitation to an assessment centre. It consisted of 1 group exercise with a presentation, 3 one-on-one interviews and a problem-solving skill test. The group exercise wasn't hard and it is really no way to prepare for it. The presentation is 5 mins divided by 3 people so there is really not that much to talk about - be sure to stick to the requirements. Then I got into a room and the recruiters were coming in, one by one, to interview me. There were 3 interviews, each approximately 30 minutes. Very informal and pleasant, although I felt that they all asked me the same questions. Then there was a problem-solving skills test which consisted of 4 mathematical questions that someone read and I had to ask questions in order to get the information I need and solve the problem. It was very unusual and stressful to calculate something in front of the person assessing you, although the interviewer was very helpful. All in all, it was quite informal and pleasant experience. I got a call back the next day around 3 PM.

Interview Questions
    • Why BlackRock, why this role, competency based questions about team work and creativity (very standard), how would you describe a database to a child   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Video Interview with set questions, you are given time before every question begins to prepare notes on the topic. The questions are very simple and average, like why BlackRock, why your division, and a time you overcame a challenge. They are very slow at getting back in between stages, taking weeks /months between applying, interviews, and rejection.

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

First round was on a a platform called Montage video, where there was nobody on the other side of the video and you just had to record yourself answering three basic questions. Second round was a video interview with one of the Sales Directors. He asked mostly behavioral questions and asked about a few stories on the market and recent news. Still pretty basic. Then I was called in for a SuperDay at the office, where I had 4 30 minute interviews one right after another. Again mostly behavioral and fit questions, but I ended up talking about news in the markets and specific stocks for a fair amount of the interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell me where you see opportunities in the market
      What's the difference between a mutual fund and an ETF

Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

After submission of application, received an invitation three months later for a one way video interview on Montage Talent. Questions were very basic- why did you choose your degree? why blackrock? Then received an invitation for a phone interview with HR. Questions were CV based questions and also tested language skills- Describe a time in which you had to work with people of different cultures? Describe a situation in which you had difficulties with your team and how did you solve your problem? Received an invitation for a technical based interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose your degree/uni?

Why BlackRock?

Why did you choose this position?

How do you keep up to date with the Financial Industry and in particular asset management?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

interviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

The initial interview was on their montage system where you have to record two responses to prerecorded questions. Those questions were straightforward (Why BlackRock? Talk about a time where you were innovative). The next round of interviews was a skype interview with an employee. It was roughly a 30 minute interview. The questions were mainly behavioral (resume based and personality based) although I was asked to pitch two stocks as well (nothing serious, just two companies and why I liked them). A word of advice, it is always a good idea to have questions ready to ask your interviewer! After a few days I found out I was selected to attend their superday in Princeton. The superday was 4, 30 minute consecutive interviews with different directors and portfolio managers. Again mainly behavioral questions and questions based off of your resume. Be ready to talk about things off of your resume as well. This key to remember in this part of the process is that they want to see that you are sociable, well rounded and someone who they'll want to work with everyday. All around, a fantastic experience and HR ran a very smooth interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What is the current situation in Greece? Why would Germany want to keep Greece in the EU?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analytics Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

There were 3 parts to the interview. The first was a one way video interview where you recorded yourself answering very basic questions (Why BlackRock? Why group XYZ?). Next was a half hour video interview with a member of the group. Some basic behavioral questions and others including "Describe something complicated to me in a simple way." This was a short interview so it was pretty fast paced/not as relaxed as I would have hoped for. Had time to ask 2 or 3 questions at the end. The final round was in New York and consisted of 4 half hour interviews. Two with associates, one with a director, and one with a managing director. Everyone was very nice and the interviews were pretty relaxed. It seemed like there few only a few set questions and most of the time was just talk to talk about something interesting on your resume a bit more or a mutual interest. I wasn't explicitly asked "Why BR?" or "Why group XYZ" during these interviews but I worked these answers into the answers to other questions and I feel like that really helped.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the markets. Some basic questions about options and the Greeks. Tell me about the history of BlackRock and what it's about. Strengths and weaknesses. Overall not many technical questions.   Answer Question