BlackRock Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2008.

Interview questions were generally behavioral. A great deal of emphasis was placed on a long-term interest in asset management specifically (i.e.-- candidate should be committed to the field for several years and not harbor desires to leverage over to IBD or S&T at another shop). There were no "technical" questions, per se, but there were a few "gotcha" questions-- was asked what the Dow Index was at that morning, what the US 10 year was, etc. etc. Interviewer was not looking for decimal-level accuracy, and was instead gauging how closely one followed the markets in general. A few generic questions about where I foresaw markets going over the next 12 months, etc.-- he challenged a few of my points presumably to see how I could think on my feet. Generally he was a nice guy and the interview was casual.

Interview Questions
    • Approximately, what is the Dow at this morning? What is the 10-year treasury trading at? What is the S&P 500 trading at?   View Answer
    • Pitch me a stock in the present market. Pitch me a country or an industry sector that you think has potential over the next 12 months.   View Answer

BlackRock - Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2009.

This interview was a 1:1, part-technical, part-fit first-round interview with an MD from the firm.

The good:
    1) I was pleasantly surprised to find someone that high-up in the firm on campus for a first round summer analyst interview. I'm not sure how it goes at other schools, but it is definitely not the norm for other firms at my school.
    2) The interview was quite enjoyable - scheduled to be 30 minutes but went 45 since we found enough to talk about. I actually learned something, which is not something I can say of every interview.
    3) The interviewer was considerate and tailored his technical questions to the specific candidate (most of whom were engineering students); having said that, he was quite happy to revise the difficulty upwards, once he figured out that I knew a more than the others. Questions ranged from portfolio statistics to asset allocation (mean-variance optimization, etc.) and relating to my background (commodities). Unlike many business/liberal-arts candidates, I had not participated in a student investment fund, etc. - otherwise he may well have asked me questions on specific funds and the like.

The bad:
    1) Nothing negative to say about the interview itself, but the firm's post-interview behaviour was not great.

- They promised to get back to us in a week and everyone I knew was rejected within that time-frame, but I did not hear anything for three weeks.
    - They were not hard to get in touch with (kudos to them for that), but kept telling me that I was still being considered and that the "difficult market conditions" had resulted in their process being drawn out. Two phone calls later, they asked me if I was an international student (which I am, and which they knew before they interviewed me). Shortly after, I received an email informing me that I would not be proceeding further in the process. Not hiring international students is every firm's prerogative, so that's ok, but give it to me straight - don't make lame excuses.
    - My request for feedback was met with the usual "other candidates fit better... we look for the best and brightest, so not everyone can be accommodated... etc. etc." spiel. Again, that's fine, but spare me the BS please... give me some feedback I can use and at the very least, do not patronize me with the best-and-brightest line...

Overall, a decent interview, but a rather baffling experience on the whole, since they didn't take anyone else from my school either.

Interview Questions
    • What has fueled the commodities boom of recent years and why? What are its implications for the asset management industry?   View Answer

SQL Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in July 2008.

Formal, team oriented, high integrity, professional. Met 4-5 people each visit.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your favorite job ever and describe your worst job ever? Why? Give examples of what stood out.   Answer Question
    • How would you Test a Boat?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in April 2009.

Posted resume to campus career center. Had first round on campus. Went to NY for 4 1:1 interviews. Non-technical, but mostly knowledge and personality based.

Financial Modeling Group Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2008.

The first round interview was a 1:1 meeting with a manager who asked several programming questions. The first few questions were very basic, and then progressively got harder. For example, one question was about how to write a program to perform a bubble sort using arrays. The second round interview consisted of several more technical questions ranging from brain teasers to recognizing specific statistical distribution functions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the formula for the normal distribution?   View Answer

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2009.

First phone interview with some
    basic java questions
    basic database questions
    some standard puzzles
    object oriented concepts

on site interviews consist of interview with 4 interviews 1:1
    they do ask you to write queries
    and code
    generally freedom of language is given

Interview Questions
    • write a program to find loops in linked list. its complexity. write compilable code.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2009.

There was an on campus interview with one employee from the NYC office. The interview consisted of basic behavioral questions and an "explain how to do something" question.
    Thought the interview could have gone better, but was contacted via telephone for a second round interview on site. BlackRock calls the second round interviews "SuperDays."
    The Super Day consisted of a brief meeting with two HR employees and then 4 back to back interviews with Directors and Managing Directors. Not too many technical questions, but a few. Basically a resume walk and chit chat.
    Super Day was scheduled from 8:30 am to 12 noon.
    BlackRock reimbursed for all transportation, meals, hotels etc.

Analyst Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2009.

I applied online through a college recruiting website and got an interview for a financial analyst position. The interviewer seemed uninterested in the interview process and was not engaging at all. I don't know why a company would send someone who doesn't like to talk to people to conduct on campus interviews. Anyway, the interview went ok, basic questions about my interests and team experiences then I got a chance to ask about BlackRock but it doesn't seem like a place I'd like to work.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a negative team experience you have had and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2009.

Pretty much straight forward finance interview. A lot of behavioral and fit questions considering it was a firmwide analyst hire. Got the interview through a resume drop to the college career center. one-to-one interviews. Though I thought the interview was very conversational, the interviewer wasn't very interested in what I have to say about my resume, which kind of set me off a bit. Other than that, I have heard that the firm is very horizontal in structure and diverse in academic sense.

Interview Questions
    • Which group would you like to join as an analyst?   View Answer
    • Walk me through your resume.   View Answer

Portfolio Automation Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2009.

Was interviewed on-campus after initial resume-drop via on-line recruit webpage. Interview itself was not half bad. The interviewer however, seemed reluctant and tired. The attitude was somewhat arrogant, too (possibly to see how you would react under pressure?). The questions were general based on the resume. No behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the 3 tools that the Fed uses to control the interest rates   View Answer

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!