BlackRock Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

3.1

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

I applied through Linkedin Premium and received a call within 1 week. I was scheduled to meet with the team in Princeton, NJ shortly there after. Interview was heavy on fixed income outlook so I would make sure you brush up on it prior to your interview. The interview was a complete mess because all three managers I was set to meet with called in sick that day. I was interviewed by people in different departments or people without any HR experience. They routinely asked which position I was interviewing for and mentioned that they didn't cover that particular area or weren't aware of any openings. I left rather furious.

Interview Questions

• Where do you interest rates going? Do you see spreads tightening? What opportunities are there available in the fixed income space right now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Asked to record interview questions on a website. 6 questions pretty straight forward about why BlackRock, a time when you used innovation, etc. Then, next round was video conference call with two employees. This was more difficult. More finance based questions and explanation of the markets.

Aladdin Client Services Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Took less than a week total. Applied on their career site. Had a phone interview with an associate for first round, then called in for SuperDay after the phone call.

Associate Phone interview questions:
    walk me through your resume
    what do you know about Aladdin?
    What is one news/event that you read about today that was interesting to you?
    How do you keep yourself updated with the financial services industry?
    What do you know about fixed income?
    How do you price a bond?
    What is the discount rate?
    Is the discount rate the same as the 10-year treasury yield?
    What do you know about duration?

SuperDay:
    - 4 one-on-one interviews with VP's and directors + 1 group activity (case study+presentation)
    What is your understanding of Aladdin?
    What is one news/event that you read recently that was interesting to you?
    Why did you choose your major? Why BlackRock?
    How does BlackRock fit into the asset management industry and the financial services industry?
    What is Duration and Convexity in a risk management framework?
    What is an option?
    What are some option strategies?

Was notified with offer a week after.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Applied through my company's career website. Got contacted about 2 weeks later for Montage interview. This round was all behavioral questions and easy. About a week later, I got contacted for phone interview. This round was about half behavioral and half technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What investment advice would you give to average retail investor?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

I applied online and got an email to schedule a phone interview a few weeks later. The phone interview was 30 mins and we went over my resume, internship experience etc. Brief question about set, list and map. I was then called up for a 3 hour in person interview in NY with 4 rotating interviewers. Questions ranged from: what do you know about the company, why this position, tell me about yourself to more detailed questions on programming knowledge and previous projects. They were nice and asked questions related to the things you said for example, "you mentioned abstract classes and interfaces in java, can you tell me the difference". Difference between C++ and Java. Look at this piece of code and tell me what it does. Write a function that does ... A brain teaser. They also give you a chance to ask questions.
    I wrote no offer, since I am currently waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes in a string and an int. The int determines the number of repeated consecutive letters you want to have returned. For example: (aab, 1) -> ab. (aaabba, 2) -> aabba   Answer Question

Interview

First the phone interview and then the in-person interview. Four interviewers from an analyst, associate, VP and to MD. There were a lot of technical questions. The analyst definitely asked more technical questions. MD just wanted to get to know you.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY).

Interview

First you will apply online, after about one week, if you meet the minimum requirements for the position, they will ask you to record montage view. They will ask you several questions and you can prepare for ten minutes and record your answer. If you pass that, you will got a webcam interview. After that is the final round, on-site interview.

Managing Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

I went through two formal interview days after several one-on-one video calls. Each formal day comprised of 9-11 meetings. I met with other MDs on related teams, some with similar roles. Each meeting about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Most questions were job related. All interviewers rated the candidate and the results are compiled for the hiring manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, they asked very early on what my compensation expectations were. The offer was close to the lower end of the range.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Application submission - resume/cover letter through school and website, Initial screening with Montage video recording interviews where you're given impromptu questions online, and have 2 minutes to record your answer. First rounds also online, this time live with an interviewer.

Interview Questions

• When were you innovative, why finance, why BlackRock, introductory video about yourself
      The Montage system was supposed to facilitate the process, but on the day of the deadline, lots of connectivity issues, which resulted in multiple calls to tech support - annoying problem, but tech people were nice and helpful. No technical questions in the screening phase

Answer Question

Financial Modeling Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online
    Applied to on-campus interview in my university
    The interview was on campus and lasted 30 minutes.
    There was a resume screening first (ask me about previous projects and what programming language I was used to coding with).

Interview Questions

• I was given an algorithmic question:
      A array of n integers
      write an algo that tells if it exists (i,j) in A so that A[i]+A[j]=k (k a given integer)

I think they are expecting real hard coders to do the work. I was not asked any brainteaser, probability questions etc....

Answer Question