BlackRock

371 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Portfolio Analyst Internship Interview

Interviewed at BlackRock

Interview Details – I submitted through the college career service website and it was on-campus interview.
The interview was about 30 minutes long and the asked basic behavioral questions along with asking what I have researched on the position I applied. I am not sure about the entire interview process since I was declined after the first interview.

Interview Question – Why do you think the stock price is reaching all time high?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2011.

Interview Details – Candidates are initially screened by HR representatives. Those that pass the first round are then reviewed by anywhere from 2-4 full time employees, with those reviewers ranging from analysts to director level personnel. Then there will be an initial phone screen by a hiring committee manager. If the candidate seems like they will be a good personality fit, they are brought in for a "super day" interview, where they will see up to 6 other people, often being interviewed in a panel format. There will also be a group exercise to test their teamworking and critical thinking skills.

Interview Question – When have you been innovative or entrepreneurial? What is the biggest challenged you've faced so far?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details – Fairly drawn out process, several interviews with different groups, finally met with my target group and interviewed with 3 md's and a vp. The recruiter that I had been in touch with was particularly helpful.

Interview Question – No real technicals--unexpected questions were more just diving deep into my answers on behaviorals   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. Applied through he school, then an on campus interview with 2 alumns.

Interview Question – How many windows are there in NYC?   Answer Question

Green Package Analyst Interview

Wilmington, DE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, followed by an in-house interview with 9 different senior employees (4 hours long, 1-on-1)

Interview Question – What's your thoughts on QE?   View Answer

Sales Support Representative Interview

Sales Support Representative
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2009.

Interview Details – Straight forward, general questions

Interview Question – none of the questions was difficult to answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward

IShares Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – 2 phone calls and a super day.
1st phone call was a screening to find out a little more about you, no technical questions at all.
2nd phone call was more technical. Questions such as explain QE3, discuss the recent US Government shutdown and the fallout from it. They weren't looking for right answer, just that you knew the basics and kept up to date with current events
Super Day: 3 interviews, two of them were 2 on 1, the third was a group exercise. The interviews asked questions to do with teamwork and how you handled conflict in teams, and basically examples of when you had been in teams and the outcomes. The group session required you to pick out professional services from the list provided which would be most crucial to start a new society. Halfway through, another list is provided and you have to re-evaluate your choices. You must then give a 5 min presentation outlining your reasons for choosing the people you chose.

Interview Question – What is an ETF? What is the difference between an ETF and a mutual fund? What is passive investing?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Software Engineer Intern Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in November 2013.

Interview Details – I attended the BlackRock super day in San Fran. I had 4 different interviewers and interviewed for about 4 hours. Some of the guys asked a few investment questions so make sure you know what the Nasdaq is at and what the difference between a stock and a bond is.

Interview Question – One guy asked a really hard SQL question. I feel that if you have that question and get it right, you will probably get a position. He first asked a sorta easy sql question. The question is that you have a list of portfolios. You also have a list of portGroups (basically a group of protfolios). If firsts asks you to create a table to hold some data for both these values. Make sure you don't create two separate tables with keys! He wants to see that you can create one table and use both the portfolio number AND the portGroup number as the primary key.

Next (the hard part), he asked you to pretend that a portGroup is a 'parent' of a portfolio (the child). He asked for me to write some sql joins that would return the parent of the grandparents of a specific portfolio.

I honestly still don't understand it. It makes a lot more sense if you right out an example with numbers. You could also try and search online for something similar to this. I guess the key takeaway is to know how to do an innerjoin (and other types of joins)
  Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email from the recruiter about a week later. The internship position was to be part time in the local office and we scheduled a phone interview in the next couple days.

Phone interview was pretty easy and the interviewer was very nice. Just talked about qualifications and what the job would entail.

I followed up with the phone interview a week later and she told me that I didn't get the position. Though the later steps of the interview process I remember would be two more interviews with one with an actual graduate of my university and another with a manager. Pay was going to be a little low though.

Interview Question – What do you know about BlackRock and asset managed securities.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – Had a super day where I met with an HR rep along with 3 managers on an individual basis consecutively. After the four interviews I then had to give a 5-7 presentation on an investment idea as well as a market overview.

Interview Question – Name someone that would be widely known that I admire and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non-negotiable