BlackRock

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – I was contacted by my campus recruiter to set up an on campus interview. Interview went fairly well. Questions involved some basic OOP concepts and the use of data structures. Three weeks later, I was called into the San Francisco office for a second round of interviews which went well. Second round consisted of around four interviews and questions were all mostly related to JAVA concepts and general system design.

Interview Question – What is the Dow Jones index at today?   Answer Question

Risk and Quantitative Analyst Interview

Risk and Quantitative Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview asking some basic finance questions. Two weeks after it, superday interviews with 6 different managers all working in the Risk and Quantitative Analysis team. All were very friendly. Some specific finance questions, but most of them were very open ended.

Interview Question – Skewness of the expected payoff of an options position (which I can't remember right now).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Strategic Product Management Intern Interview

Strategic Product Management Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1st round interview- Very basic questions, mostly fit interview questions. One or two questions on Finance. Have you invested before etc.?
Waiting for the results

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by on site. One person on phone will ask basic fit questions. On site there were at least eight interviewers from different departments. Various technical questions, and situation based questions are asked.

Interview Question – A mathematical based questions required to calculate how many diamonds of 1 ct can you fit into a room   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer

Portfolio Analyst Internship Interview

Portfolio Analyst Internship

Interviewed at BlackRock

Interview Details – I submitted through the college career service website and it was on-campus interview.
The interview was about 30 minutes long and the asked basic behavioral questions along with asking what I have researched on the position I applied. I am not sure about the entire interview process since I was declined after the first interview.

Interview Question – Why do you think the stock price is reaching all time high?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2011.

Interview Details – Candidates are initially screened by HR representatives. Those that pass the first round are then reviewed by anywhere from 2-4 full time employees, with those reviewers ranging from analysts to director level personnel. Then there will be an initial phone screen by a hiring committee manager. If the candidate seems like they will be a good personality fit, they are brought in for a "super day" interview, where they will see up to 6 other people, often being interviewed in a panel format. There will also be a group exercise to test their teamworking and critical thinking skills.

Interview Question – When have you been innovative or entrepreneurial? What is the biggest challenged you've faced so far?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details – Fairly drawn out process, several interviews with different groups, finally met with my target group and interviewed with 3 md's and a vp. The recruiter that I had been in touch with was particularly helpful.

Interview Question – No real technicals--unexpected questions were more just diving deep into my answers on behaviorals   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. Applied through he school, then an on campus interview with 2 alumns.

Interview Question – How many windows are there in NYC?   Answer Question

Green Package Analyst Interview

Green Package Analyst
Wilmington, DE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, followed by an in-house interview with 9 different senior employees (4 hours long, 1-on-1)

Interview Question – What's your thoughts on QE?   View Answer

IShares Analyst Interview

IShares Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – 2 phone calls and a super day.
1st phone call was a screening to find out a little more about you, no technical questions at all.
2nd phone call was more technical. Questions such as explain QE3, discuss the recent US Government shutdown and the fallout from it. They weren't looking for right answer, just that you knew the basics and kept up to date with current events
Super Day: 3 interviews, two of them were 2 on 1, the third was a group exercise. The interviews asked questions to do with teamwork and how you handled conflict in teams, and basically examples of when you had been in teams and the outcomes. The group session required you to pick out professional services from the list provided which would be most crucial to start a new society. Halfway through, another list is provided and you have to re-evaluate your choices. You must then give a 5 min presentation outlining your reasons for choosing the people you chose.

Interview Question – What is an ETF? What is the difference between an ETF and a mutual fund? What is passive investing?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation