BlackRock Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Applied online. Received a request for a video interview screen. I was given ten minutes to prepare for each question and two minutes to respond. I only had one chance to record each answer. After I submitted the videos, I got an email for a followup interview a couple days later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

campus recruitment. Another interviewer went for lunch so I had an one-on-one interview at school with a VP, a very nice Indian lady. It was kind of casual and had not many technical questions, although I was asked about SQL because it's on my resume. We

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Through NYU On Campus recruitment. Lady was mean! She was not very helpful when it comes to asking questions. She expects an answer for her questions right away or she will be stressed.

Aladdin Client Services Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Interview

The process was fairly straightforward. I applied through the website in early December. I didn't hear back from them until mid-January. The rest of the process was a lot faster. The first stage they put me through was doing an online recording through the Montage system. They ask you to record an intro (basically a video cover letter) and then give you three questions. They give you the questions then give you 10 minutes to think about an answer. 10 minutes was a lot. Then you have 2 minutes to answer those questions and you can't re-record those answers. Second stage was an online, video interview with a current analyst. It was basically a resume review. He asked me to talk about myself and my experiences. These interviews are scheduled for about half hour, though my one ended up being 45 minutes. The last stage was their super day. It consisted of 4 back-to-back half hour interviews with two analysts, a vp and a director. I basically went over my resume 4 times that day. They didn't ask technical questions but more so situational ones. They have me a scenario and asked how I'd handle it. Three of them also asked me to take a complex situation and describe it to them as if they were 8 year olds. (For me, I was asked to explain how a camera works because I have a photo background as well) Within a few days, I received a call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Most Unexpected Question: Tell me something about you that isn't on your resume.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the undergraduate summer internship in Risk and Quantitative Analysis through my campus website and got a interview request. It was a video interview of four questions, and each response could only be two minutes long. Overall, the interview was pretty simple; there were three background questions and the last one was about stocks. It's been a while since the interview, so it's unlikely I got to the next step (in-person interview in San Francisco).

Interview Questions

• Define the risk of a stock. What class impacted you the most and why?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analytics Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

There were 3 parts to the interview. The first was a one way video interview where you recorded yourself answering very basic questions (Why BlackRock? Why group XYZ?). Next was a half hour video interview with a member of the group. Some basic behavioral questions and others including "Describe something complicated to me in a simple way." This was a short interview so it was pretty fast paced/not as relaxed as I would have hoped for. Had time to ask 2 or 3 questions at the end. The final round was in New York and consisted of 4 half hour interviews. Two with associates, one with a director, and one with a managing director. Everyone was very nice and the interviews were pretty relaxed. It seemed like there few only a few set questions and most of the time was just talk to talk about something interesting on your resume a bit more or a mutual interest. I wasn't explicitly asked "Why BR?" or "Why group XYZ" during these interviews but I worked these answers into the answers to other questions and I feel like that really helped.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the markets. Some basic questions about options and the Greeks. Tell me about the history of BlackRock and what it's about. Strengths and weaknesses. Overall not many technical questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a video interview over a skype-like service. They asked me behavioral questions. It was very based on my resume and past experience. I was interviewed by a second-year analyst. I felt like I was under pressure the entire time and she was waiting for me to make a mistake. To be fair, it was one of my first interview experiences so it may have been more difficult for me than others.

Interview Questions

• What is a trend in finance you have been following?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Interview

I received a Email from BlackRock and was asked to take the online interview through Montage. I took the interview one day before deadline and haven't got any feedback so far.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were all about behavior and were easy. e.g. Why BlackRock? Why this group? Describe a situation when you were innovative.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online in early October. Got called up for a screening interview in mid January. Was required to record and submit a video application on Montage View. A week later scheduled to give a live video interview for the internship position. Screening interview was basic fit questions nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you were creative in solving a problem.   Answer Question

Analyst, Aladdin and Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online through university recruiting. First round, "written interview" which was just all behavioral, "tell me about a time you were innovative". followed by on campus interview. Also mostly behavioral. Emailed a few days later to come in for a superday. Superday was 4 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with people on the team. Then a group case study interview right after

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of   Answer Question
    • Tell me something that's happening today that is affecting blackrock and how would you fix it   Answer Question