BlackRock Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

3.1

PAG Analyst Interview

First round not very technical, but the final round was pretty intense.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Took forever to receive a call back for an interview. The actual interview was straight forward. BlackRock does not provide enough details regarding the presentation.

Interview Questions

Salary was higher than comparable positions, but a higher base is easily attainable.

Client Services Analyst Interview

Very standard interview process. 1:1 first interview, superday with 4 interviews with one MD and 3 analysts, also one group presentation. Everyone was super nice and also no technical questions, only behavioral and of course questions about current events.

Portfolio Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

I received an interview through campus recruiting. I did the first round of interviews at school, and then was brought into the offices in New York for the second round. Each of the interviews was 1 on 1, and the super day had 4 separate interviews. The process wasn't super transparent, specifically about which group you were interviewing for, as I met people from both portfolio management, product strategy and research, all of which perform remarkably different functions.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather be playing for the New York Yankees on the bench or a star on the Tampa Bay Rays?   View Answers (2)

Portfolio Analytics Analyst Interview

I had the on campus interview with them. The interviewee asked me a lot of technical questions about the fixed income market, pricing of bond especially. Other questions were just common--why you apply for this position, why you want to work for Blackrock etc

Government Relations and Public Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

On campus recruiting- info session and interview. SuperDay in NY.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy area you are interested in and how do you think it should be dealt with?   Answer Question

PAG Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

I was only invited to the first round on-campus interview. Most of the questions were behavioral. But he did ask me to solve an operation research problem. And he also ask me to talk about something I read in the news.

Trading Assistant Interview

interviewed at BlackRock in October 2013.

On campus interview. The questions were pretty standard and a few mental math questions. Nothing out of the blue

Interview Questions
    • Q1. You have a 10*10*10 cube, which is made of many 1*1*1 cube. If you dip the cube in paint, how many of the smaller cubes dont have paint on them?
      Q2. Add up the digits of your phone number multiply it by 65 and remember this number till the end of the interview. Later, divide the number by 25.
      Q3. Expected value of a die. How much are you ready to pay for a game where I give you the dollar amount of what you roll(Eg: $1 if you roll a 1, $2 if you roll a 2 and so on)
      Now we continue playing, how much are you willing to pay if you can roll it 10 times?
      How much are you willing to pay if you have $1mm and you can play this game for the next 1 year.
      Q4. If i give you the offer to take this job up and I give you two options: Either a $5000 signing bonus or you play a game where you toss a coin and I give you $10000 if you toss a head and 0 is you toss a tail. Which one would you choose and why?
        Answer Question

Financial Modeling Group Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in October 2013.

I applied through my school's campus recruiting portal and received an invitation for an on-campus interview

1) 30 min On Campus

Dove straight into programming questions and a math / puzzle question with a matrix of asset correlations.

I thought I didn't do very well...I stumbled through the questions and eventually arrived at the right answers with lots of help. But still got an email inviting me to a superday two weeks later

2) On-site Superday (7 - 30min interviews)

Lots of difficult math and computer science questions (know your algorithms and data structures very well). Most people interviewing me were math PhDs from Russia or India. It seemed like a very quant heavy group. They care very little about soft skills, so it wasn't the right fit for me.

I haven't heard back yet, but I'm going to assume I didn't get it.

Interview Questions
    • Easiest question (I forgot all the harder ones). Implement mergesort and provide the running time if you have access to k computers (distributed computing)   View Answer

Financial Modeling Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in October 2013.

Had an on-campus interview first then was invited to NYC for the superday. 6 back-to-back 30 minutes technical interviews on site. Interview questions consist of coding, Java&C++ concept, math and brain teaser. Math related programming questions are really tricky. All the interviewers seems to be very knowledgeable. Great experience.

Questions that I can remember are
    How BST works and implement it.
    Write a memory leak in C++. How to avoid memory leak? How smart pointer works?
    DP stairs question. write a function to calculate e^x (x is double).
    Write function to calculate sqrt of x
    Implement first in first out Cache
    convert big Endian to little Endian

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to calculate e^x, need to convert e^x to 1 + x + x2/2! + x3/3! + x4/4! + x5/5! + x6/6! + x7/7! + x8/8! + x9/9! + x10/10! + x11/11!+ ...   Answer Question