BlackRock Interview Questions in London, England

Updated May 22, 2015

3.3

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Shortly after my application, I was contacted by the Scientific Active Equity team to schedule a phone interview. The process originally included two 30-minute interviews, but finally they informed me that I would be going through one interview with both assessors jointly. The interview itself included almost no competency questions and was mostly about background and relevant skills and how these could be practically applied to the research being carried out at the department. I was also asked about my outlook on global equity markets and the current drivers of growth of asset prices. Overall, I cannot say it was a very difficult interview but since I was expecting something more competency-focused, I was a bit unprepared. I would say there was a big focus on what you could contribute to the department, since they are looking for novel approaches on the problems they face. They seemed very interested in programming skills as well as in a machine learning background as far as I could tell. Also they wanted you to be really specific and explain some things in great detail, especially the technical details concerning relevant projects you have been involved with.

Interview Questions

• Explain your background and your transition from mathematics to finance. What was the subject of your dissertation? Did it include mathematical modelling? What are the drivers of global equity markets/asset prices? Describe a scenario which you find interesting and do a long/short recommendation accordingly. What would you test concerning inefficiencies or patterns in the market? How?   Answer Question

RQA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Online testing then assessment centre style day with two interviews in the morning followed by a group exercise in the afternoon. The two interviews were based on the same script so ended up answering the same questions in both interviews.

Interview Questions

• What makes BlackRock different from everywhere else?   1 Answer

Vice President Blackrock Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Only 2 stages, 1st lasted about an hour and I saw 3 senior individuals. It was supposed to be the most important one, 2nd one was HR Very much focused on competency based questions and going through my CV. asking about Nice individuals

Interview Questions

• what would you look for to analyse a fund manager? if you add the choice between qualitative and quantitative data, which one would you prefer?   1 Answer

Strategic Investments Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Very good. Best approached through a network rather than a head hunter. Look to interview with the manager and then later with Human Resources. Fast and dynamic firm will hire people if they suit the culture and try and fit them in. Many questions asked. Best if you have an asset management background.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

1st round - phone call from HR 2nd round - VC interview Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality. Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward. Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied through the graduate website, done numerical and then got an interview offer after a week. Went done to the office in London and they asked me the classics: why blackrock, why asset management, tell me about a time when you showed leadership skills, how is your team working skills...

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

First round: two individual interviews; Final round: group exercise, individual interviews, individual case study

Interview Questions

• Individual case study was pretty difficult. Never had that in any previous interviews..   1 Answer

Aladdin & Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

1. Tell me about the Company and the role 2. Team-work- difficulties and result (use CAR technique) 3. Are you willing to relocate? 4. Difficult situation in life and how I dealt with that Other competency based questions mainly about team work and leadership skills

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

I was put forward by recruiter for an IT Project Manager role at Blackrock's London office. The first interview with the hiring manager went well, and she said I was exactly the type of person they were looking for. I was then called for a second interview with the manager of the hiring manager. This person re-scheduled the interview twice at short notice, on one occasion I was almost outside the Blackrock office! When the second interview finally took place, the interviewer said she didn't know anything about the role and just wanted to have a chat with me about career aspirations and other general questions. It was difficult to guage how the interview went, but a day later the recruiter phoned to let me know that they weren't going to hire me as I didn't have "publishing" experience. The word "publishing" didn't appear once on the job description and isn't included on my CV either, and the recruiter said they didn't hire anyone for the role. It was very disappointing that Blackrock wasted so much of my time and then rejected me for not posessing a skill which they never asked for, and I never claimed to have. The recruiter was unable to explain why this happened, but since then, other recruiters have said that Blackrock London is very difficult to place candiates as they are quite fussy and often reject candidates without explanation.

Interview Questions

• If I asked your mother to describe you, what would she say?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

9 rounds of interview over a period of 90 days. That's a lot of travel expenses which don't get reimbursed if you don't get the job! Very risk averse and over-cautious culture. I felt over-interviewed. It was the same interview 9 times with different people!