BlackRock

Updated Nov 4, 2014

3.1

114 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Started with a phone interview with a VP in the group. Asked me to walk through my resume and explain how my experience with my current firm prepared me for that role. Later that afternoon HR contacted me to set up onsite interviews. I met with analysts and associates on the team as well as the VP. Questions were mostly fit, but they did ask if I followed financial news and what stories I found interesting. You need to truly understand what you are talking about, not simply repeat words from the articles. They will test your knowledge. Also, know why you want to work at Blackrock particularly the group you're interviewing with. I was then brought back in for another interview with the Director and Managing Director. Both were pleasant, explained their expectations, but mostly wanted know if I had any questions about the role.

Interview Questions
    • What are your thoughts on Pimco and Bill Gross leaving? What do you think this means for BlackRock?   Answer Question
    HR tried to lowball me. I countered with a range and they came back within my range.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

A few rounds involving resume screening, phone interview, superday. Each step was generally behavioral based. Each interview was with a different person, so questions were fairly consistent and revolved around company knowledge, field knowledge, and group knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Explaining why that group in particular was the best fit for me over others.   View Answer

Solution Center Analyst - Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

I had two rounds of interviews. The first round was in university career center. The interview was 1:1, and the manager was very nice. I think we had a pretty relaxed and nice conversation. Several weeks after the first round, I got an email to invite me to an on-site interview in New York. The solution team interviewed me one-by-one. Four officers interviewed me, and each interview lasted about 30 minutes. The interviewers are very friendly and nice. Their working environments look very comfortable and supporting.

Interview Questions

Analytics and Risk - Client and Portfolio Analytics Group - 2014 Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

It was a on campus interview. The hiring team came to our university and spent whole day to interview students. The manager didn't ask me a lot of behavior questions. She focused on my education background. Why do you choose this course? What did you learn from this course? How can this course help you in this position?

If you don't know how to answer the question, telling them you don't know is better than saying other things. This suggestion came from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • First question: do you know which position you applied for? in which department?   Answer Question

Contract Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock in May 2014.

I had three rounds, including a 45-minute phone interview with the HR associate in the SF office (I'm in NYC). I then met with about 6 people in person over the course of three hours in the NYC office, which included the manager of the group and the other associates within the group. Everyone was very nice and generally quite open about the work, the expectations, and the firm culture. I then came back for another interview, which, when I got there, I was surprised to see was a video conference with people int he SF and NJ offices. Again the interviews went for about three hours, and again, everyone was very nice, the questions were fair and no one asked me anything that was off-base or unexpected.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackRock in April 2014.

Interviewed with a VP and then on Super Day, two MDs and other VPs

First round is pretty relaxed, mostly behavioral.

Super Day was more technical, asking about the markets and stories I found interesting. Employees were relaxed, nothing too formal and would ask questions based on previous comments.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing crazy, but absolutely have an answer for a deeper question into anything you mention in the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2014.

I find a alumni to refer, they don't post intern job for graduate this year in my college's career fair. Monday is phone interview, basic question about Java data structure, ask about singleton and what kind of situation will there be more than one instance(multithread). Then Friday's super day. So tired in the final interview the interviewer seems very tired and speak in low volume.

Interview Questions
    • Ask a lot about data structure and algorithm, questions are classical, 2sum, find head of cycling linked list, given access to middle node of a linked list and asked to be delete it. And OOD design a elevator system, and some SQL query, basically same as before, but I suggest you guys prepare for a SQL query that return the top node in a hierarchy structure, for example return the manager of the manager of the manager....until the boss, I am still not sure about that. And multithread concept and ATM question, producer/consumer question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Campus Recruiting, first round

Interview Questions
    • It's hard to describe the question in short. But it's about anagrams and hash tables.   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Phone interview with associate. Discussed job description and my resume. Quite basic. Superday consists of 4, 30 minute interviews with various people. Quite relaxed. They mainly focused on fit questions and want to see that you are somewhat social, intelligent, and hard working.

Interview Questions
    • All very basic questions. Know some finance stuff. Be able to talk about your resume and how it applies to your job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Fairly drawn out process, several interviews with different groups, finally met with my target group and interviewed with 3 md's and a vp. The recruiter that I had been in touch with was particularly helpful.

Interview Questions
    • No real technicals--unexpected questions were more just diving deep into my answers on behaviorals   Answer Question