BlackRock

Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.1

Client Businesses - Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

The entire process took about one and a half months. I applied through my college/university career portal. I was notified about two weeks after my application that I have been selected for a video screening via BlackRock's third party interview platform.

Video screening consisted of 3 questions they would like you to record your answers to. You had 10 minutes to prepare for each and two minutes to answer. There were a lot of technical difficulties on the way so you had to call technical support a lot. Questions include:
    - What do you do to keep yourself updated about the financial services industry and asset management specifically?
    - Tell me about your favorite class.
    - Describe a situation where you were innovative.

I was notified roughly in a week that I made it to the first round. It was a Skype interview with an associate from client businesses.
    - Basic resume questions
    - Asked about markets and my take on it
    - Why BlackRock?
    - Who is the CEO of BlackRock?

After a week, I was notified that I have been selected for SuperDay. It was roughly four hours, and consisted of three 1 on 1 interviews with directors and VP's as well as one 2 on 1 interview with high level staff from the firm. Questions asked:
    - Why BlackRock? Why asset management?
    - I have a client, how would you advise them on their portfolio
    - Walk me through your resume
    - How many windows facing out do you think there are on this floor.
    - Biggest achievement of your life/Thing you are most proud of

I was notified via email roughly two business days later that I did not get the offer :( But positive experience overall, people were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • I've interviewed a lot of people today, what should I make sure I remember about you?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

First you will apply online, after about one week, if you meet the minimum requirements for the position, they will ask you to record montage view. They will ask you several questions and you can prepare for ten minutes and record your answer. If you pass that, you will got a webcam interview. After that is the final round, on-site interview.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

Went through campus recruiting and had to network extensively with alumni. Did three rounds of interviews. The first was a self skype interview where you were given 3 questions and 2 minutes to answer each one. The second was a 30 minute skype interview with an analyst.

The second interview was very awkward. The analyst had no experience in interviewing whatsoever and I had to guide the direction of the interview. I felt like the analyst did not want to be there. Thankfully I was invited to superday.

Superday was very unpleasant. I met the candidate who was competing for the same position I was while we were waiting in the lobby. The candidate informed me that his/her interview was extended for 30 minutes, Mine was not. Then when the recruiter came in, the recruiter informed that my interview time, which was originally 2 hours long, was reduced to an hour because two of the interviewers had to fly out. That was bogus given that the other candidate was applying for the same position, same team, and his/her interview was not reduced.

My reduced superday started out with being interviewed by the same analyst from the prior round. The analyst seemed very prepared this time and the interview went well. Both technical and behavioral questions were asked.

The final phase was being interviewed by the VP of Marketing. He seemed very nice and asked very difficult questions. If you make it this far be prepared to answer finance and marketing technical questions. The VP purposely asks hard questions to see how you respond under pressure.

I was doomed to fail before I started. I'll never know why the other candidate was given preferential treatment. I guess his alumni helped him/her out more. Alumni from my school didn't even know the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you macroeconomic questions, marketing questions, and finance related questions. To be prepared you must read the WSJ extensively and know about current events.

Behavioral questions were, in the most part, typical. I was asked one question that wanted to throw me off. It was, "if you could choose an actor/actress to star in a movie about your life, who would it be and why"?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

Asked to record interview questions on a website. 6 questions pretty straight forward about why BlackRock, a time when you used innovation, etc. Then, next round was video conference call with two employees. This was more difficult. More finance based questions and explanation of the markets.

Financial Modeling Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

Applied online
    Applied to on-campus interview in my university
    The interview was on campus and lasted 30 minutes.
    There was a resume screening first (ask me about previous projects and what programming language I was used to coding with).

Interview Questions
    • I was given an algorithmic question:
      A array of n integers
      write an algo that tells if it exists (i,j) in A so that A[i]+A[j]=k (k a given integer)

I think they are expecting real hard coders to do the work. I was not asked any brainteaser, probability questions etc....

Answer Question

Portfolio Analytics Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

There were 3 parts to the interview. The first was a one way video interview where you recorded yourself answering very basic questions (Why BlackRock? Why group XYZ?). Next was a half hour video interview with a member of the group. Some basic behavioral questions and others including "Describe something complicated to me in a simple way." This was a short interview so it was pretty fast paced/not as relaxed as I would have hoped for. Had time to ask 2 or 3 questions at the end. The final round was in New York and consisted of 4 half hour interviews. Two with associates, one with a director, and one with a managing director. Everyone was very nice and the interviews were pretty relaxed. It seemed like there few only a few set questions and most of the time was just talk to talk about something interesting on your resume a bit more or a mutual interest. I wasn't explicitly asked "Why BR?" or "Why group XYZ" during these interviews but I worked these answers into the answers to other questions and I feel like that really helped.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the markets. Some basic questions about options and the Greeks. Tell me about the history of BlackRock and what it's about. Strengths and weaknesses. Overall not many technical questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

I had a video interview over a skype-like service. They asked me behavioral questions. It was very based on my resume and past experience. I was interviewed by a second-year analyst. I felt like I was under pressure the entire time and she was waiting for me to make a mistake. To be fair, it was one of my first interview experiences so it may have been more difficult for me than others.

Interview Questions
    • What is a trend in finance you have been following?   View Answer

Aladdin Client Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Applied online and was emailed a short "pre-interview" questionaire. After submitting this, I heard back in less than a day about an on campus interview. Couple days later, they invited me to go down for a SuperDay in NYC which consisted of 3 interviews. Overall it was a pretty straight forward interviewing process. Not having taken any business classes, I thought I would be at a disadvantage but I don't believe I was. In fact, a friend of mine got the position without any previous business knowledge. People were very friendly and the office was amazing.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell me about the market? Why do you want to work for BlackRock. Mostly behavioral interview questions   Answer Question

Analyst, Aladdin and Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Applied online through university recruiting. First round, "written interview" which was just all behavioral, "tell me about a time you were innovative". followed by on campus interview. Also mostly behavioral. Emailed a few days later to come in for a superday. Superday was 4 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with people on the team. Then a group case study interview right after

Interview Questions
    • What are you most proud of   Answer Question
    • Tell me something that's happening today that is affecting blackrock and how would you fix it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackRock in December 2014.

Interviewed for the BlackRock Founders Scholarship in early December of 2014. About 90 students were selected from schools around the country, and on the first day everyone had one 30 minute interview with representatives in their respective divisions - mix of technical and behavioral, depending on the division. Received a call later that day and was invited for final round interviews the next day. Final round consisted of four back to back 30 minute interviews (a total of two hours), with a mix of behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Walk us through your resume? Why BlackRock? Do you follow the markets? If so, tell me about it? What do you read? What is the last thing your remember reading? Tell me something you're not proud of (a failure)? What is the favorite course you've taken and why was it your favorite? (<- asked twice, two different instances)   Answer Question