BlackRock PAG Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

I had first round interview on campus and SuperDay interview at the New York office of BlackRock. For the first round interview, I had a chance to meet with the head of Portofolio Analytics Group. The interview mainly consists of fit questions (Why BlackRock? Why PAG? and some of the questions regarding my past work experiences.) For the SuperDay interview with four managing directors from BlackRock solutions. Two of them were from PAG and two of them were not. I got very keen fit questions (What's your favorite class? Tell me about the general macro-economy thesedays.) Mostly consists of specific detailed fit questions but there were very few technical questions about option pricing. Anyways... main point is that, for BlackRock's interview, preparing for your resume very thoroughly to answer the various fit questions would be the most important part.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn from this class? (after asking about what is your favorite class, the interviewer pointed out specific courseworks on my resume)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

In 2013 I applied through my university website then I interviewed on campus for one round. After that I was invited to New York for a super day consisting of about 4 one-on-one interviews. Today, they have a narrowed the range of target schools. Most applicants will have to go through an online video question session before being able to interview with a person.

Interview Questions

• Strong focus on technology   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

The first interview was on campus with 1 person and they asked behavioral questions as well as fixed income and market/economy questions. The guy showed no emotion and I was unsure if I was doing well, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got the email for an office interview. The office interview is at their NY office on Saturdays and I was interviewed by 3 different people who asked me harder questions about fixed income and about the company itself. Do your research because one guy asked me so many questions about BlackRock and didn't like my answers because they weren't specific enough. Their HR is slow so I didn't hear back or get a response to my follow ups until a month and a half later.

Interview Questions

• Explain the mathematical reasoning behind negative convexity   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

First round of interviews were on campus and mostly behavioral. They were looking for people who emphasized desired to work and learn technology since the role is very tech focused. Second round was a week later and consisted of 1 on 1 interviews with 3 people. Also mostly behavioral, asked about familiarity with various technological platforms and some technical questions (duration, convexity...). Got the offer 3 days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviewers very professional, lots of technical questions, be on time, great communication - they will give you the answer within 1 day if you were selected to another round

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Interviewed for the summer PAG intern for 2011. Got a first round through campus recruiting. First round questions included basic behavioral like why BlackRock and some easy financial/economic background questions such as 'what is happening in the global economy' and 'what's the difference between a stock and a bond'. Second round (superday) consisted of 4 interviews back to back. 3 behavioral and 1 technical, where brainteaser and basic financial questions are asked.

PAG Analyst Interview

Interview

First round not very technical, but the final round was pretty intense.

Interview Questions

• what is the duration of a bond   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (Wilmington, DE) in September 2012.

Interview

I applied online and no later than two weeks later I was contacted for an initial phone interview. The phone interview was conducted with a HR person, and the questions asked were very basic. Next, I was invited for an interview at their location in Wilmington, DE. I had five, one-on-one interviews: a HR person, two analysts, manager and director. The interview with the HR person was a review of what you spoke about during your phone interview. The interviews with each of the analysts were very basic. They reviewed their role, essentially what you would be doing, and no hard questions were asked. After, you’ll interview with a manager. This person is the one you will be directly working for, and therefore, they will drill you on your resume. Lastly, the interview with the director is fairly basic. They just want to meet you and get to know you. Overall, I had a negative experience and opinion of the position, the group and the location. The position is very basic. They mentioned and make note that this position is back office and will not lead to in the future middle or front office roles. Additionally, they mentioned the role starts at 6 am and ends late. Therefore, you will not have time to do the CFA program and/or schooling while working for them. Additionally, I had a negative experience with the manager. He was very unprofessional in the interview. He skipped an introduction and immediately began asking questions. His questions were initially negatively phrased, and he made a very unprofessional comment directed toward me. Lastly, I should mention the location is very remote and is located in outskirts of Wilmington. A few weeks later I received an email stating they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• You studied finance, so you are probably not good with technology?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

pitched in resume both online and on the school website. personally handed in during on-campus information session. Was selected for first round interview on campus. Most behavioral questions and one technical question about the current policy and its influence on the money market: what's the interest rate of short term bonds right now and how it would influence the market share of some investment companies, like BR, so on so on ........

Interview Questions

• technical question about the current policy and its influence on the money market: what's the interest rate of short term bonds right now and how it would influence the market share of some investment companies, like BR, so on so on ........   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

All the questions were behavioral and not quantitative. The second round was meeting 5 people at their office, some about the market and some about experience.