BlackRock PAG Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

On campus intview for 30 mins with one other person. SuperDay on a Saturday in the New York office. Had 4 30 min interviews with 4 members of the PAG group. BlackRock doesn't like people who they think will leave BlackRock, so even if your intention is to get the name on a resume and go elsewhere, make it seem as though you'd be more than open to spending the next 10-15 years at BR.

Interview Questions

• Do you know the difference between BlackRock and BlackRock Solutions? What's the difference between buy and sell side?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

PAG Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

first round on campus, superday in NY 4 interviews back to back. The interview is more about fit to BlK's culture. The people are humble and smart.

Interview Questions

• None. Mainly qualitative and market knowledge type of question   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

People at the office were friendly. Had first rounds on campus, which was both fit and technicals. They're really looking for people who continually improve themselves. Was invited to super day, four/five interviewers who were all nice. Asked fit questions about your resume, and very basic technicals. For PAG, a lot of it is related to fixed income, bonds, yield curves, convexity and duration. They also like it if you know a lot about the firm and their culture.

Interview Questions

• In percentage points, what's the growth of the S&P 500 since the beginning of the year?/last six months?   Answer Question
    • Is positive convexity or negative convexity better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

4 interviews, where they asked various technical questions.

PAG Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Interview

Got offer through on campus recruiting. First round: Mostly fit questions. It was all fun and games. I didn't feel like the interviewer was taking me seriously (body language) until it was my turn to ask him questions. Fortunately, I had a friend who knew some people at BlackRock that I had contacted before and so I knew enough about the functioning of the company to ask interesting questions. Pro Tip: Understand what the PAG position IS. Know the green package process. Also, for market questions, actually do your research and read some of the reports that BlackRock publishes. You might also want to study up some treasury reports about the state of asset management. That's when he suddenly became a lot more interested. Know what tapering is. Second round: There were four interviewers who took turns to ask us questions (each student stayed in a room and the interviewers would come to them). There were some fit questions, but they seemed a lot more interested in figuring out my ability to explain things. I got asked a few questions about the market which weren't awfully hard. They also asked me what the economic indicators were for that day (Dow Jones Index, NASDAQ, BlackRock's stock, S&P500). I didn't really have time that morning to memorize those numbers...I was only able to jot them down in my padfolio. Honestly, I just read those answers...the interviewers noticed and then asked me about market trends. They didn't seem to mind that I had written the answers down. They just sort of laughed it off. The fact that I had prepared those questions was important enough. I'm an engineer, so there seemed to also be some concern over whether I was really committed to finance...something I was apparently able to persuade them that I was able to do. KNOW about BlackRock and what it cares about. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FIRST ROUND INTERVIEWER. Anticipate those questions in your first round interview and figure out what the firm is about... If you look at the job description on their website, for example, you'll see that BlackRock really prides itself on being the intersection between Silicon Valley and Wall Street. Keep that in mind during the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation...and honestly, of all the offers I got, BlackRock offered the most in compensation.