BlackRock

BlackRock Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in October 2014.

Started with phone interview, followed up with an in person interview. Scheduled to meet 3 individuals, only met 2. First was with HR rep, pretty general meeting with HR it went well. Second was with a Sales Desk Manager, who was quite misleading. Answered every question accurately, while maintaining a market outlook concurrent with that of BlackRock's investment strategy. Interview wasn't hard, the questions were straightforward pertaining to a sales / relationship management role. Some personal questions were asked about previous experience managing money / behavioral questions. Was quite optimistic going into the end of meeting, as no questions took me "off guard" until it seemed as if the interviewer's incompetence with social situations had basically led me to believe I was a waste of time, through some offensive remarks. Which then took me off guard, for my knowledge about BlackRock's products is quite immense, despite the fact that there wasn't 1 question asked about any of their funds or experience utilizing them in a portfolio.

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in October 2014.

Was introduced to an external wholesaler that works for BlackRock's iShares and quickly hit it off. He referred me to a friend of his in the US Wealth Advisory Division in Princeton, NJ with whom I began speaking with, initially on more of an informational interview level. Met with him on an unrelated trip to NYC and as a result of that he gave my resume to the USWA Retail Sales desk manager to read. Immediately asked to formally apply online for HR purposes.

Told to expect a call anytime from within the week to a few weeks. One month later finally receive a call for my phone screen. Basic questions you'd expect: walk me through your resume, why finance, why sales, why BlackRock, tell me about your favorite experience/class before you graduated. Told that could take a week to 3 weeks to hear back. Got an email 2 days later to set up a video conference (I live in Florida, they're in Jersey). VC is first about 30-45 mins with a VP from HR asking basic fit and behavioral questions, went great, nice guy. Next is 45 mins with managing director and sr. associate. more technical questions, market based questions, behavioral questions, walk through resume, etc. Little of everything but went well. Week later get email that I made it to the third and final round. Flew up to NJ, 2 separate rounds of interviews: 1st was with two VPs of different divisions; ask predicted and expected things, including technical, behavioral, situational, markets (know what examples you want to use ahead of time for standard and expected questions). Next was sr. manager from video conference and then the VP of retail sales. VERY targeted and specific questions about everything and anything-all fair game. After that had to give a 10 min mutual fund presentation to a room of about 8 people as if I were the external wholesaler (I was aware of this about 2 weeks prior though so plenty of prep time) followed by a Q&A session. Pretty intimidating. Shake hands, say hear soon. 2.5 weeks later get email of rejection; VP of HR from video conference calls me few days after to reassure me it wasn't due to me doing poorly but was because they needed someone immediately and i had to relocate from florida (and I didn't have much prior sales experience, as I worked at a CPA firm all during undergrad).

Interview Questions
    • Mutual fund presentation because they provide minimal resources to shape the presentation; requires thorough knowledge of the fund because they WILL question you heavily during the Q&A afterward   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BlackRock.

Had a super day where I met with an HR rep along with 3 managers on an individual basis consecutively. After the four interviews I then had to give a 5-7 presentation on an investment idea as well as a market overview.

Interview Questions
    • Name someone that would be widely known that I admire and why.   Answer Question
    non-negotiable

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in November 2013.

Phone interview with talent acquisition associate.