BlackRock Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock (Princeton, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Was told by an Alumni contact that there was an internal opening in Princeton. Applied, phone interview was relatively straightforward, pretty basic walk me through your resume, why BlackRock, why sales. Good rapport with the HR rep on the phone and pretty informal. Week later get invited back to a in office interview, meeting with 2 people for 30 minutes each. Be ready to back up anything you say and supplement your answers because the interviewers were extremely thorough in breaking down your resume and your behavioral answers. Both interviewers asked me about a current event or news story so have a few prepared. Got an answer back inviting me for the final round, which I had a month to prepare for. Last round was a 10 minute presentation on a mutual fund (you are given some basic literature before hand) followed by a Q&A (both were done in front of 6 people) Follow up questions were technical in nature. After wards there was a 2 on 1 interview for 45 minutes, then a 1 on 1 interview for 45. Standard behavioral questions. Difficult but preparation goes a long way. 3 weeks later received a phone call with the offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest thing you have ever had to do, tell me about an article that you've recently read, how do you stay up to date on markets.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

First got an email to schedule an interview. Took a long time to get back to me. Then got a call from an analyst working at BlackRock and got a few basic questions that you would get in a first round interview.

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock (Princeton, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

Was introduced to an external wholesaler that works for BlackRock's iShares and quickly hit it off. He referred me to a friend of his in the US Wealth Advisory Division in Princeton, NJ with whom I began speaking with, initially on more of an informational interview level. Met with him on an unrelated trip to NYC and as a result of that he gave my resume to the USWA Retail Sales desk manager to read. Immediately asked to formally apply online for HR purposes. Told to expect a call anytime from within the week to a few weeks. One month later finally receive a call for my phone screen. Basic questions you'd expect: walk me through your resume, why finance, why sales, why BlackRock, tell me about your favorite experience/class before you graduated. Told that could take a week to 3 weeks to hear back. Got an email 2 days later to set up a video conference (I live in Florida, they're in Jersey). VC is first about 30-45 mins with a VP from HR asking basic fit and behavioral questions, went great, nice guy. Next is 45 mins with managing director and sr. associate. more technical questions, market based questions, behavioral questions, walk through resume, etc. Little of everything but went well. Week later get email that I made it to the third and final round. Flew up to NJ, 2 separate rounds of interviews: 1st was with two VPs of different divisions; ask predicted and expected things, including technical, behavioral, situational, markets (know what examples you want to use ahead of time for standard and expected questions). Next was sr. manager from video conference and then the VP of retail sales. VERY targeted and specific questions about everything and anything-all fair game. After that had to give a 10 min mutual fund presentation to a room of about 8 people as if I were the external wholesaler (I was aware of this about 2 weeks prior though so plenty of prep time) followed by a Q&A session. Pretty intimidating. Shake hands, say hear soon. 2.5 weeks later get email of rejection; VP of HR from video conference calls me few days after to reassure me it wasn't due to me doing poorly but was because they needed someone immediately and i had to relocate from florida (and I didn't have much prior sales experience, as I worked at a CPA firm all during undergrad).

Interview Questions

• Mutual fund presentation because they provide minimal resources to shape the presentation; requires thorough knowledge of the fund because they WILL question you heavily during the Q&A afterward   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Princeton, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

Started with phone interview, followed up with an in person interview. Scheduled to meet 3 individuals, only met 2. First was with HR rep, pretty general meeting with HR it went well. Second was with a Sales Desk Manager, who was quite misleading. Answered every question accurately, while maintaining a market outlook concurrent with that of BlackRock's investment strategy. Interview wasn't hard, the questions were straightforward pertaining to a sales / relationship management role. Some personal questions were asked about previous experience managing money / behavioral questions. Was quite optimistic going into the end of meeting, as no questions took me "off guard" until it seemed as if the interviewer's incompetence with social situations had basically led me to believe I was a waste of time, through some offensive remarks. Which then took me off guard, for my knowledge about BlackRock's products is quite immense, despite the fact that there wasn't 1 question asked about any of their funds or experience utilizing them in a portfolio.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with talent acquisition associate.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Had a super day where I met with an HR rep along with 3 managers on an individual basis consecutively. After the four interviews I then had to give a 5-7 presentation on an investment idea as well as a market overview.

Interview Questions

• Name someone that would be widely known that I admire and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation

non-negotiable