BlackRock

36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Businesses Summer Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details – I found a posting via my school's Campus Recruiting website (in December); the posting directed me to apply directly to BlackRock's online career page. The deadline to apply was a Sunday, and Monday morning I received an "application on hold" detail. Wednesday around noon I received a call from HR to set up a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was 30 minutes with a VP. The interview was fairly conversational. I had previous experience with a different firm and we spoke mostly of that and a few "common" interview questions such as "tell me about a time you worked in a group" and different variations of these types of questions. NO TECHNICALS. This phone interview was on a Tuesday, and Thursday afternoon I received an email inviting me to Super Day --in office-- the following Monday. The Super Day consisted of two 45 minute interviews with either Directors or VPs and one Group Interview (project) to end the day. The interviews were again conversational, and not technical. Mostly getting to know me, a few strengths weaknesses type of questions, and a few critical thinking questions which I assume was to test my competence. Received a phone call soon after extending an offer.

Interview Question – I don't remember. But the tell me three weaknesses and three strengths and how they would strengthen the blkrock team question was kind of surprising.   Answer Question

PAG Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Interview Details – All the questions were behavioral and not quantitative. The second round was meeting 5 people at their office, some about the market and some about experience.

Interview Question – Something about VaR model   Answer Question

RQA Analyst Interview

RQA Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details – First round interview on campus. Took around 30mins. Got asked questions on VBA, excel, monte carlo simulation and other quantitative financial models.

Interview Question – How to write a pricing model in VBA   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details – An outside recruiter set me up with a phone interview and in-person interview at Black Rock not too long ago for a contract marketing coordinator position in the SF office.

At the phone interview, it was smooth and went very well. Interviewed with VP of Relationship Marketing and pretty much nailed down every question. From what I understood, I made a good impression and was eventually brought in for an in-person interview.

At the in-person interview, I believe I did well for the most part (in my view) explaining my candidacy and answering questions. However, with the exception of a VP who focused on operations (felt comfortable interviewing with him), everyone seemed to have a rigid, systematic process of interviewing which took me completely by surprise as during the phone interview, I got the impression things were more straight forward at Black Rock as far as the interview process. The mood I think was completely different in-person as opposed to the phone interview. I almost felt as if Black Rock played everything by-the-book and wasn't interested in getting anything more out of me in the interview than the pertinent questions.

One consistent bit of information was that everyone I interviewed with (five people total) in person mentioned work environment at marketing at Black Rock was supportive, fast-paced at times and everyone works together well and gets along well. To me, I didn't feel I got that impression as the way I was interviewed was a bit cold at times. I asked plenty of detailed questions but never got the impression that Black Rock was welcoming. You'd think that in a stable company like this people would not be so rigid and under-the-gun where they felt they "had-to-fill-the-position" by asking me the pertinent questions only and not doing anything ideally good companies should do such as making candidates feel welcome.

Interview Question – This wasn't a question I was asked but a question I asked the VP of Relationship Marketing. I don't remember the exact wording of the question but it went along the lines of:

"Based on the previous people in this marketing coordinator role, what do you think were some of the positive qualities the previous people in the role brought to it and what do you think the next person should bring to the marketing coordinator role moving forward?"

The objective of this question, when I asked the VP of Relationship Marketing, was to get some additional insight so I could be informed about what qualities an ideal candidate should be expected to bring to the marketing coordinator role.
  View Answer

Client Businesses Summer Intern Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – I found out about the position from my university's career website, which instructed me to apply on the BlackRock website in addition to applying through my university. I received a phone call within a week from the recruiter to schedule a 30 minute phone interview.

The initial phone screening was fairly easy, no technical questions or difficult questions at all. Mostly just talked about my background and previous experiences. Maybe some behavioral questions like "tell me about a time you worked in a group."

After a couple days, I was invited to attend the Superday at their office. It consisted of two 45-60 minute interviews with two interviewers each. The first interview was much more conversational, while the second was a little more difficult and formal. I was not given many technical questions in general, which may have been because of my background or the nature of the position.

After lunch, all the candidates were given a group activity to work together and give a presentation to the recruiters.

Interview Question – What was your favorite and least favorite course you've taken?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2011.

Interview Details – Candidates are initially screened by HR representatives. Those that pass the first round are then reviewed by anywhere from 2-4 full time employees, with those reviewers ranging from analysts to director level personnel. Then there will be an initial phone screen by a hiring committee manager. If the candidate seems like they will be a good personality fit, they are brought in for a "super day" interview, where they will see up to 6 other people, often being interviewed in a panel format. There will also be a group exercise to test their teamworking and critical thinking skills.

Interview Question – When have you been innovative or entrepreneurial? What is the biggest challenged you've faced so far?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in November 2013.

Interview Details – I attended the BlackRock super day in San Fran. I had 4 different interviewers and interviewed for about 4 hours. Some of the guys asked a few investment questions so make sure you know what the Nasdaq is at and what the difference between a stock and a bond is.

Interview Question – One guy asked a really hard SQL question. I feel that if you have that question and get it right, you will probably get a position. He first asked a sorta easy sql question. The question is that you have a list of portfolios. You also have a list of portGroups (basically a group of protfolios). If firsts asks you to create a table to hold some data for both these values. Make sure you don't create two separate tables with keys! He wants to see that you can create one table and use both the portfolio number AND the portGroup number as the primary key.

Next (the hard part), he asked you to pretend that a portGroup is a 'parent' of a portfolio (the child). He asked for me to write some sql joins that would return the parent of the grandparents of a specific portfolio.

I honestly still don't understand it. It makes a lot more sense if you right out an example with numbers. You could also try and search online for something similar to this. I guess the key takeaway is to know how to do an innerjoin (and other types of joins)
  Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted pretty quickly after I applied to do a phone interview with the recruiter. I was then brought in for an interview with the hiring manager which went well. She brought me in the next week to meet with the HR team I would be working with (a total of 4 interviewees). They seemed to like me and said they would let me know the next steps by the end of the following week. Two weeks passed and I never heard back from the recruiter. I followed up with an email and she said she was very interested and they would decide the following week. A week past and no contact. I emailed again and she said the position was on hold but they would know by the end of the month; that was two months ago.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult manager?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2009.

Interview Details – 3 on site, 5 people each time

Interview Question – not many unexpected or difficult questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR tried to low-ball me.

Investment Summer Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details – First, there was an on-campus interview 2-1, they mostly asked about my experience and why I was interested in the firm and portfolio management. Then final round at the firm that consisted of three 2-1 interviews. Again, all fit and mostly about my experiences. People were awesome and loved interning there!

Interview Question – Honestly, most of the questions were behavioral or about your past experiences. The only near technical question was a market question about how the economy was doing and pitch a stock.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BlackRock

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackRock interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by BlackRock employees and interview candidates.