BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2014

2.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BlackRock.

First Round on campus interview. And they called back the other day to schedule the next's day on site interview. The interview is in the afternoon so had to get up early to catch the flight. Too tired and not much time for lunch. No time for me to prepare.

Interview Questions
  • Actually no difficult questions. But they like recursive I think.. Try basic recursive questions and DP questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in April 2014.

A 30 min phone interview followed by a on-site interview. I failed at the first round. They only asked behavior questions in the phone interview. They go through two big projects on my resume. Then they asked me how to use HashMap in JAVA, which is to override the hashcode() and equals() method. Equals method is used to avoid the collision.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2013.

A very short on campus interview. The question is easy. We need to inverse a sentence without inverse the words. For example, "Carnegie Mellon University" to "University Mellon Carnegie". Then he asked about virtual functions in C++. This position needs some finance background. I think this is the reason that I was rejected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

They are always the same question. The first question is list the data structure you know. The answer is Array, List, Heap, Queue, Stack, Hash, Tree, Graph.
    The second question is how queue and stack work? My answer is FIFO, FILO.
    The third question is Describe the different of array and list. My answer is array is fixed size, and list is dynamically allocated. And array access directly. List access from the first element to the data you want.
    The forth question is how hashmap works? Take an example of how to use it. My answer is a.put("name", "123456");//key is name,value is sting 123456.

The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers. I don't know.

Then I heard the other people be asked write binary tree. How Virtual function works in Java. How to delete duplicate in an N size array with each element from 1 to n.

That's what I know about Blackrock. Their question is no longer changed. Hope everything goes well to you, guys!

Interview Questions
    • The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

I have an on campus interview. I didn't get any technical questions. The recruiter first introduced the company for me and asked why I was interested in BlackRock. Then he asked me about the most interesting class I have taken. We have talked about the class and the project I have done for that class. Then he asked me the most tricky bug I have solved. At last, he asked me a simple question about array.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most tricky bug you have encountered.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

I submit my online application and got reply after a month. The interview was schedule after 3 weeks.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Got emailed for on-campus interview after talking to several recruiters on campus. The on-campus interview was very easy. Most of the questions were based on class experience and projects you have worked on in class which lasted about 30 minutes. The next day I was invited up to the SF office for a on-site interview. Interview was 4 1:1 45 minute interview with the vice-presidents of the different tech departments of Aladdin. The interviews varied depending on the person. One person just asked me about class and resume experience, ended up spending 30 minutes talking about the entire HTTP protocol and how PHP fits into the cycle as well as the idea of the internet. Interesting talk but had nothing to do with programming or my experience. The rest of the interviews were more standard - talked about class -> several software questions about design patterns, SQL queries, OOP, etc. I am writing "No Offer" because it has only been a week and I have not heard back from them yet.

Interview Questions
    • Write a query that would join two tables and collapse them on one attribute.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in November 2011.

I had an on campus interview first and then have an on site interview.
    On campus interview includes resume questions, behavioral questions and one coding test.
    On site interview has four one-one interviews. The interviewers ask me data structure, basic c++ and java knowledge, system design and brain teaser questions.
    Most questions are not difficult, but I also missed several questions.

Interview Questions
    • How to transfer a form in infix(prefix) notation to a form in post-fix notation.   View Answer
    • To sort the data in a stack without using loop.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Campus Recruiting, first round

Interview Questions
    • It's hard to describe the question in short. But it's about anagrams and hash tables.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Applied for the intern by university website. On campus 30 minutes' interview. Most were behavioural questions about my resume. Asked me about different data strucures. Why finance? What's the most tricky bug you've encountered?

Interview Questions

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!