BlackRock

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

They are always the same question. The first question is list the data structure you know. The answer is Array, List, Heap, Queue, Stack, Hash, Tree, Graph.
The second question is how queue and stack work? My answer is FIFO, FILO.
The third question is Describe the different of array and list. My answer is array is fixed size, and list is dynamically allocated. And array access directly. List access from the first element to the data you want.
The forth question is how hashmap works? Take an example of how to use it. My answer is a.put("name", "123456");//key is name,value is sting 123456.

The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers. I don't know.

Then I heard the other people be asked write binary tree. How Virtual function works in Java. How to delete duplicate in an N size array with each element from 1 to n.

That's what I know about Blackrock. Their question is no longer changed. Hope everything goes well to you, guys!

Interview Questions
  • The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2013.

Applied online and got a on-campus interview

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2013.

A very short on campus interview. The question is easy. We need to inverse a sentence without inverse the words. For example, "Carnegie Mellon University" to "University Mellon Carnegie". Then he asked about virtual functions in C++. This position needs some finance background. I think this is the reason that I was rejected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2013.

Interview was a fair game. I decided not to pursue and cancel final round as I felt the mode of interviewing was too stressful/too much pressure for me personally.

I had extensive phone technical screen involving a lot of math and C++ questions. Was invited to in-person 7 or 6 hour interview. Parts of it were supposed to be video interviews with NYC managers and I personally do not wish to do video interviews, especially with people I will never have to directly work with. Also, I felt that having to find parking in a paid garage was too much trouble. The good thing, there was one hour lunch interview part and they were paying for this...not bad. Phone interview was with senior engineer/manager and he was kind of making it stressful--I didn't like it, prefer more calm and relaxed style of conversation.

They gave me infamous Monty Hall probability puzzle/paradox during phone screen...I disagree with "solution"--as many mathematicians outside the US. I had written code proves that "US solution" is wrong. So, I stand by this and felt this paradox shouldn't have been brought up since it does not have accepted solution in Mathematics community across the world. I rate overall interview experience as positive as they offered to buy me a lunch, was showed basic respect on their part.

Interview Questions
    • Monty Hall paradox...I still disagree with their (nearsighted) solution.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in October 2012.

Applied through compus career net and got the interview

Interview Questions
    • Asked why blackrock? Technology questions about Hashmap, Binary Search, Virtual function   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in September 2012.

Submit my resume on campus. Received an interview in two or three weeks on campus. Most of them are technical questions. I was asked to implement a simple binary search method and asked some other basic questions about data structures, eg. hashmap, array, linked list. Also why blackrock? The manager was very nice however I wasn't picked up for 2nd round interview. Quick to hear from them and it's within one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in November 2011.

I had an on campus interview first and then have an on site interview.
    On campus interview includes resume questions, behavioral questions and one coding test.
    On site interview has four one-one interviews. The interviewers ask me data structure, basic c++ and java knowledge, system design and brain teaser questions.
    Most questions are not difficult, but I also missed several questions.

Interview Questions
    • How to transfer a form in infix(prefix) notation to a form in post-fix notation.   View Answer
    • To sort the data in a stack without using loop.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock in August 2011.

On campus interview was first. Interviews are short (30 minutes or less) since the interviewer is trying to see many people in one day.

In person interview occurs on same day with several other candidates. All the candidates start in the same room and get an overview presentation from HR.

Next, you spend about 45 minutes in a 1:1 interview with four or five people. Interviewers generally do a good job of trying to put you at ease, and they realize you may be nervous.

These interviews are very technical. Topics covered include algorithms and data structures, Java, SQL, relational database design, OO design, etc. They also ask basic finance questions, and expect the candidate to know something about the company.

Interview Questions
    • Find the least common ancestor in an N-ary tree.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a project you worked on where other people did not pull their weight. What did you do?   Answer Question
    If they really want you, they will bump the salary up a little if you ask.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

the first round interview is 1:1 interview. And after about 5 minutes chat, they begin to ask me to write code to some questions. Mainly focus on data structure and algorithm

Interview Questions
    • how to find a circle in a circular list   View Answer