BlackRock Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2015

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in April 2015.

Interview

Firstly do a video interview, which is done by yourself and send to them. Then one round phone interview and two rounds of video interview. Phone interview by HR. And two rounds of interview with the recruiting team. With VP and Asso first and then Director. The asso and VP do the interview together and the director asked about technical question more while juniors focus more on behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Q:Typical video question: why blackrock? why trading? a case when you are innovative.   2 Answers
  • Q: Mostly behavioral questions regarding my experience. Extremely interested in the fund I co-founded with my friends.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Received interview to take montage online interview 6 months after applying. Received offer for first round interview around a month later, consisted of 2x30 min competency interviews with very little technical knowledge required, just general market awareness. Invited to superday which consisted of a group task and presentation and 1 30 minute interview, again competency based. Received offer 2 days later.

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Half an hour with a VP. Very friendly, more like a conversation than an interview. First went through my resume, asked about the experiences. Then asked the usual behavioral questions, and then some questions regarding the current economy. Not really much on the technical part. The focus was definitely on people skills.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and it takes them 3 months to come back to me. First round is the Montage video interview, which consists of all standard questions, you can see them beforehand, and have you record for 2 min for each question. It was one off, so make sure you have good connection. You can finish the questions separately, so no need to hurry, plenty of time to prepare. Questions include why blackrock, why this department, when you are innovative, why your university.

Interview Questions

• Why blackrock and this division in particular?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Entire process took about two months. Screening round was a virtual interview where you simply recorded answers, first round was via Skype and with a director, mainly behavioral questions. The final round was at the office in SF, questions ranged from behavior to some technical, and a few trick questions to see how you think. Everyone was extremely friendly and positive, got a great feel for the company culture.

Interview Questions

• Teach me an economics concept that is normally complex but in a way that someone not attuned to the markets would understand   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied online through its website. First I was asked to record Montage videos at home where I do not need to interact with an actual person. After than I was asked to take three 30 minutes long video interviews. Most of the questions were behavioral; they did not ask much about my skills and abilities.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the position and received an email a couple of weeks later with an invitation to an assessment centre. It consisted of 1 group exercise with a presentation, 3 one-on-one interviews and a problem-solving skill test. The group exercise wasn't hard and it is really no way to prepare for it. The presentation is 5 mins divided by 3 people so there is really not that much to talk about - be sure to stick to the requirements. Then I got into a room and the recruiters were coming in, one by one, to interview me. There were 3 interviews, each approximately 30 minutes. Very informal and pleasant, although I felt that they all asked me the same questions. Then there was a problem-solving skills test which consisted of 4 mathematical questions that someone read and I had to ask questions in order to get the information I need and solve the problem. It was very unusual and stressful to calculate something in front of the person assessing you, although the interviewer was very helpful. All in all, it was quite informal and pleasant experience. I got a call back the next day around 3 PM.

Interview Questions

• Why BlackRock, why this role, competency based questions about team work and creativity (very standard), how would you describe a database to a child   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Video Interview with set questions, you are given time before every question begins to prepare notes on the topic. The questions are very simple and average, like why BlackRock, why your division, and a time you overcame a challenge. They are very slow at getting back in between stages, taking weeks /months between applying, interviews, and rejection.

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

First round was on a a platform called Montage video, where there was nobody on the other side of the video and you just had to record yourself answering three basic questions. Second round was a video interview with one of the Sales Directors. He asked mostly behavioral questions and asked about a few stories on the market and recent news. Still pretty basic. Then I was called in for a SuperDay at the office, where I had 4 30 minute interviews one right after another. Again mostly behavioral and fit questions, but I ended up talking about news in the markets and specific stocks for a fair amount of the interviews

Interview Questions

• Tell me where you see opportunities in the market
      What's the difference between a mutual fund and an ETF

Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

Interview

After submission of application, received an invitation three months later for a one way video interview on Montage Talent. Questions were very basic- why did you choose your degree? why blackrock? Then received an invitation for a phone interview with HR. Questions were CV based questions and also tested language skills- Describe a time in which you had to work with people of different cultures? Describe a situation in which you had difficulties with your team and how did you solve your problem? Received an invitation for a technical based interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your degree/uni?

Why BlackRock?

Why did you choose this position?

How do you keep up to date with the Financial Industry and in particular asset management?

Answer Question