Blackboard

Updated Dec 13, 2014

3.1

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blackboard in January 2007.

Excellent company to work for. Great teams and leadership. Most people are in the 25 to 45 age group. Mentality is work hard,play hard. Benefits are very good and company really cares about its people so they do whatever it takes to make you happy. Telecommuting options are also available.

Very good process

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blackboard.

Phone interview, was asked specific details about every skill listed. Face to face, interviewer talked about hockey and 80's bands.

Interview Questions
    Was told that company is a great place to work and that there was all sorts of ways to advance and grow professionally.

Production Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard.

HR found my resume from DICE. Contacted me and set up initial interview with hiring manager via phone. Second interview was with hiring manager and several other potential colleagues. There were mainly technical questions about system administration and various technologies. Some questions on personal ambition, career goals, etc. were asked, but it was mainly technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions about certain aspects of addressing RAM memory, which I was not aware of.   Answer Question
    They offered me a job at a salary scale that I was satisfied with.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard in January 2012.

Standard for developers: screening interview, technical interview with the highest developer manager within division (my boss's boss), in-person round with 3 short interviews by potential coworkers.
    HR was willing to work with me in finding a position that best suited my needs and interest.
    I felt valued throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specifically but it involved choosing the best combination of an ordered data structure and a sorting algorithm.
      Needless to say, I failed this question - still got the job!

Answer Question
    I had another offer and demanded a 10K increase, to which they offered a 20K increase.

Solutions Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard.

The first interview was via phone with the immediate manager, it was very relaxed, most of all the manager wanted to know how I would fit in the position, my working style and how much I knew about the market and job responsibilities.

The second (and third) interviews were with the (Senior) Account Executives with whom I would be working and the Director Sales. The interview with the Account Executives were about how much I knew about the customer needs, the trends, the market, and so on while the interview with the Director Sales was more focused in my sales approach.

Interview Questions
    • A mock presentation to measure my presentation / selling skills   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Blackboard in June 2009.

Met with four people over 2 days. Two would be colleagues two would be supervisors/management. Questions were 60/40 personality/work style and technical. The focus was on who you were after the tech bonifides were determined. Honest about compensation and advancement, I didn't feel I was snowed at all once I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Despite this being an individual contributor position not related to the education based product I was asked about my thoughts on the industry and how Blackboard could make an impact.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard.

There was an initial phone interview from their internal recruiter then a couple other phone interviews with senior management of the division you were applying for. Then they bring you into their DC headquarters for a face to face and meet the team.

Interview Questions
    • Doing a role play with two senior managers. Wasn't expecting it, but he said to sell him the product or services of my last job. Act as if they are the decision makers and I was talking to them, in a first meeting scenario. I wasn't prepared for it, but did fine.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Blackboard in May 2011.

They questioned me then gave me a lateral thinking test, then I had to troubleshoot a PC problem. They gave me static IP information but no DNS servers.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what you are passionate about in IT and how you hope to contribute to the field as your career develops?   View Answer

Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard in June 2012.

Applied on my colleges job board, and had their technical recruiter email me back quickly. Spoke with him on the phone and asked for me to send them some code I had worked on.

Sent them my code on github, then they scheduled another phone interview with the groups manager. The second phone interview was a general interview about my background, but manager spent 90% of the time telling me about the groups projects and such.

Invited in the following week for an interview with their team.

Started off with group manager one-on-one interview, which consisted of him just elaborating on what they were working on, questions asked of me.

Second round, was a two-on-one interview with their senior engineers, this was the dousie. They pretty much just drilled me on questions about Java, SQL and random instances that may come up while working on team projects. Some questions involved what is singleton, abstract class, do a SQL command, etc. Some of the questions one of the engineers asked, were kinda hard and even the other engineer interviewing me admitted he didn't know the answers. In all honesty I hadn't worked with Java since high school, so I was rusty on all the concepts, and it would have been a miracle of the highest order if they actually took me haha. I would have deserved an oscar for the performance if it was successful.

Third round consisted of two-on-one interview with their junior engineers. This was rather easy, they asked basic questions about my resume.

Fourth round consisted of a one-on-one interview with the product manager, he actually tried to dip out of interviewing me saying something came up with a client and we should do it later, I'm guess after speaking with the senior engineers they had already determined they did not want to hire me. Nevertheless, I was already there and wanted the practice. I ended up coming back a few hours and interviewing with him. I guess they did not expect me to have come back.

All in all what I will say is the only relevant interview is the one with the senior engineers. It seems like if you do well on all the other interviews and don't do well with them, it's irrelevant. On the other hand, if you do well in the interview with the senior engineers and don't do well on the rest, it is irrelevant.

Just my thoughts from the whole experience. On a good note, I got offers elsewhere.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Blackboard in March 2012.

Good experience. Only few Qs about your past experiences. They are more focus about your personaility (if you are kind, if you can get a long with poeple and if you can Go and figure out things when assigned a project)

Interview Questions
    No negociation. Take the offer as it or leave it.