Blackboard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

Senior Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Blackboard in December 2013.

Interview

Overall, the process was a bit cumbersome and very lengthy. At the time, the company was going through serious reorganization, and everything just seemed a bit "off" on all fronts. Communication was delayed, and sometimes contradictory information was given. The people were all incredibly wonderful, so no complaints about the staffing...just the process. It appears to need some streamlining and coherency. I interviewed with multiple people across multiple areas and verticals, though the position was never sold as a "matrix-reporting" position, it sure appeared that way. I also picked up some internal chatter that seemed heavy on the office politics. Again, not a bad experience, buy honestly one of the more odd interview experiences I have had

Interview Questions

• Nothing at all out of the ordinary. Really pretty basic stuff. Lots of "how would you..."   Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Interview

Filled out online application, completed competency test online, had a phone interview and an on site interview is next. The test was pretty easy as long as you are familiar with computers, good grammar and basic math skills. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would assist someone going through the registration process.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Blackboard.

Interview

Had an initial phone screening with HR that lasted about 30 minutes. A couple of weeks later had a longer phone screening with the hiring manager that was a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• Very standard interview questions and mostly wanted to get more information about my background. A few questions about working with virtual teams.   Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Blackboard.

Interview

Turn in application... Get call... Go in for interview.. Take a test... Get hired.... EASY.

Senior Salesforce Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Blackboard (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

Two phone calls, one with a recruiter and one with the hiring manager, followed by an onsite interview series with three members of the team in which the position would be located, including the hiring manager. There were some communication challenges during the process where I was handed off to another recruiter with no warning between the phone and onsite interviews. In addition, communication following the interviews has been poor at best. I have followed up at the behest of the recruiter only to receive one reply that a decision hadn't been made yet and despite noting that he would reply once he knew more, there has been no reply in several weeks.

Technical Support Specialist for Edline Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard (Denver, CO) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online - 3 interviews, 1 Achiever test, another online application for the job. Whole process took about 2 1/2 weeks once I got an interview. Interviewed with corporate recruiter and was asked to explain my background. This interview was quick - about 15 minutes. I was told in this interview that they wanted to schedule my second phone interview. My second interview was a phone interview with the direct manager. She was very relaxed and laid back in her interview process. This interview took about 30-45 minutes and we got into more details about my capabilities and experience. After this they required me to complete an Achiever Test that takes an hour and fill out another job application with my work history (not sure why this was necessary). My results got me into a 3rd round interview in person with the direct manager and via Skype with the Product Manager from Chicago. Direct manager was great but Product Manager was disrespectful during the interview by staring off into space, tapping on his desk and screen, pointing awkwardly at the camera, asking extremely detailed questions about school projects that were irrelevant to the job, putting his hands on his head and making funny facial expression. He seemed irritated with me the entire time and was likely the reason I didn't get the job. He was not professional!

Interview Questions

• Asked about specific details about a school project I did over 5 years ago. Also asked for a specific example of when I dealt with a difficult technical problem that I couldn't solve.   1 Answer

Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied on my colleges job board, and had their technical recruiter email me back quickly. Spoke with him on the phone and asked for me to send them some code I had worked on. Sent them my code on github, then they scheduled another phone interview with the groups manager. The second phone interview was a general interview about my background, but manager spent 90% of the time telling me about the groups projects and such. Invited in the following week for an interview with their team. Started off with group manager one-on-one interview, which consisted of him just elaborating on what they were working on, questions asked of me. Second round, was a two-on-one interview with their senior engineers, this was the dousie. They pretty much just drilled me on questions about Java, SQL and random instances that may come up while working on team projects. Some questions involved what is singleton, abstract class, do a SQL command, etc. Some of the questions one of the engineers asked, were kinda hard and even the other engineer interviewing me admitted he didn't know the answers. In all honesty I hadn't worked with Java since high school, so I was rusty on all the concepts, and it would have been a miracle of the highest order if they actually took me haha. I would have deserved an oscar for the performance if it was successful. Third round consisted of two-on-one interview with their junior engineers. This was rather easy, they asked basic questions about my resume. Fourth round consisted of a one-on-one interview with the product manager, he actually tried to dip out of interviewing me saying something came up with a client and we should do it later, I'm guess after speaking with the senior engineers they had already determined they did not want to hire me. Nevertheless, I was already there and wanted the practice. I ended up coming back a few hours and interviewing with him. I guess they did not expect me to have come back. All in all what I will say is the only relevant interview is the one with the senior engineers. It seems like if you do well on all the other interviews and don't do well with them, it's irrelevant. On the other hand, if you do well in the interview with the senior engineers and don't do well on the rest, it is irrelevant. Just my thoughts from the whole experience. On a good note, I got offers elsewhere.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Blackboard (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Good experience. Only few Qs about your past experiences. They are more focus about your personaility (if you are kind, if you can get a long with poeple and if you can Go and figure out things when assigned a project)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negociation. Take the offer as it or leave it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Standard for developers: screening interview, technical interview with the highest developer manager within division (my boss's boss), in-person round with 3 short interviews by potential coworkers. HR was willing to work with me in finding a position that best suited my needs and interest. I felt valued throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember specifically but it involved choosing the best combination of an ordered data structure and a sorting algorithm. Needless to say, I failed this question - still got the job!   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had another offer and demanded a 10K increase, to which they offered a 20K increase.

Client Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Blackboard (Washington, DC) in August 2011.

Interview

Recruiter was quick to give me a call after I submitted my resume. We chatted a few days later, and he set up a call with the manager of the team I'd be working on. The manager told me I'd be interviewing for a different position, but it still sounded interesting to me. When I got to the interview (at 8:30 am, a little early in my opinion), the doors were locked, and nobody was staffing the front desk. I interviewed with a total of 5 people-- the manager, the VP and three team members. There was definite confusion about what position I was interviewing for, and it seems it hadn't been communicated to all my interviewers that the manager was interviewing me for position X instead of position Y. The recruiter never followed up with me after the interview, which I always find immensely disappointing. It takes less than 30 seconds to make a phone call, or shoot out an email; it's professional courtesy. When I followed up with him two weeks after the interview, he told me something along the lines of a lot of the team members were on vacation, as if they waited two weeks to file their interview reports. Overall, what started out as an exciting, intriguing opportunity ended disappointingly, with confusion at the interview, and no follow-up from the company.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing out of the ordinary.   1 Answer