Blackboard

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blackboard in June 2012.

Applied on my colleges job board, and had their technical recruiter email me back quickly. Spoke with him on the phone and asked for me to send them some code I had worked on.

Sent them my code on github, then they scheduled another phone interview with the groups manager. The second phone interview was a general interview about my background, but manager spent 90% of the time telling me about the groups projects and such.

Invited in the following week for an interview with their team.

Started off with group manager one-on-one interview, which consisted of him just elaborating on what they were working on, questions asked of me.

Second round, was a two-on-one interview with their senior engineers, this was the dousie. They pretty much just drilled me on questions about Java, SQL and random instances that may come up while working on team projects. Some questions involved what is singleton, abstract class, do a SQL command, etc. Some of the questions one of the engineers asked, were kinda hard and even the other engineer interviewing me admitted he didn't know the answers. In all honesty I hadn't worked with Java since high school, so I was rusty on all the concepts, and it would have been a miracle of the highest order if they actually took me haha. I would have deserved an oscar for the performance if it was successful.

Third round consisted of two-on-one interview with their junior engineers. This was rather easy, they asked basic questions about my resume.

Fourth round consisted of a one-on-one interview with the product manager, he actually tried to dip out of interviewing me saying something came up with a client and we should do it later, I'm guess after speaking with the senior engineers they had already determined they did not want to hire me. Nevertheless, I was already there and wanted the practice. I ended up coming back a few hours and interviewing with him. I guess they did not expect me to have come back.

All in all what I will say is the only relevant interview is the one with the senior engineers. It seems like if you do well on all the other interviews and don't do well with them, it's irrelevant. On the other hand, if you do well in the interview with the senior engineers and don't do well on the rest, it is irrelevant.

Just my thoughts from the whole experience. On a good note, I got offers elsewhere.

Interview Questions