Blackboard

Relevance Date Difficulty

Contracts Manager Interview

Contracts Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Blackboard in April 2014.

Interview Details – Setting up the interview took a little long with people being on leave and out of town, but from my experience the staff is very friendly and are genuinely looking for someone in the right fit for this position. Everyone I spoke to was very personable and their questions not only let me understand more about the position but they listened to me and answered my questions too. I never felt nervous because it was so relaxed and easy to talk to everyone.

Interview Question – How do you deal with competing priorities?   View Answer

Internal Communications Manager Interview

Internal Communications Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Blackboard in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR recruiter, then four interviews with two team members, Director or Global Talent Acquisition, and VP of Communications. It took four weeks to go in for the in-person interviews. After the in-person interview, all communications from Blackboard ceased and I have seen the job re-posted twice on job boards. Still have not received an offer or a rejection--even after reaching out to the HR recruiter AND the VP.

Interview Question – Describe to me how you handled a stressful situation.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Network Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blackboard in June 2009.

Interview Details – Met with four people over 2 days. Two would be colleagues two would be supervisors/management. Questions were 60/40 personality/work style and technical. The focus was on who you were after the tech bonifides were determined. Honest about compensation and advancement, I didn't feel I was snowed at all once I was hired.

Interview Question – Despite this being an individual contributor position not related to the education based product I was asked about my thoughts on the industry and how Blackboard could make an impact.   Answer Question

Senior Salesforce Administrator Interview

Senior Salesforce Administrator
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Blackboard in January 2013.

Interview Details – Two phone calls, one with a recruiter and one with the hiring manager, followed by an onsite interview series with three members of the team in which the position would be located, including the hiring manager.
There were some communication challenges during the process where I was handed off to another recruiter with no warning between the phone and onsite interviews.
In addition, communication following the interviews has been poor at best. I have followed up at the behest of the recruiter only to receive one reply that a decision hadn't been made yet and despite noting that he would reply once he knew more, there has been no reply in several weeks.

Java Engineer Interview

Java Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blackboard in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on my colleges job board, and had their technical recruiter email me back quickly. Spoke with him on the phone and asked for me to send them some code I had worked on.

Sent them my code on github, then they scheduled another phone interview with the groups manager. The second phone interview was a general interview about my background, but manager spent 90% of the time telling me about the groups projects and such.

Invited in the following week for an interview with their team.

Started off with group manager one-on-one interview, which consisted of him just elaborating on what they were working on, questions asked of me.

Second round, was a two-on-one interview with their senior engineers, this was the dousie. They pretty much just drilled me on questions about Java, SQL and random instances that may come up while working on team projects. Some questions involved what is singleton, abstract class, do a SQL command, etc. Some of the questions one of the engineers asked, were kinda hard and even the other engineer interviewing me admitted he didn't know the answers. In all honesty I hadn't worked with Java since high school, so I was rusty on all the concepts, and it would have been a miracle of the highest order if they actually took me haha. I would have deserved an oscar for the performance if it was successful.

Third round consisted of two-on-one interview with their junior engineers. This was rather easy, they asked basic questions about my resume.

Fourth round consisted of a one-on-one interview with the product manager, he actually tried to dip out of interviewing me saying something came up with a client and we should do it later, I'm guess after speaking with the senior engineers they had already determined they did not want to hire me. Nevertheless, I was already there and wanted the practice. I ended up coming back a few hours and interviewing with him. I guess they did not expect me to have come back.

All in all what I will say is the only relevant interview is the one with the senior engineers. It seems like if you do well on all the other interviews and don't do well with them, it's irrelevant. On the other hand, if you do well in the interview with the senior engineers and don't do well on the rest, it is irrelevant.

Just my thoughts from the whole experience. On a good note, I got offers elsewhere.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blackboard in November 2010.

Interview Details – - Applied using LinkedIn
- Got a call back within 48 hours for a phone screen with HR (HR seemed very organized and on point. The representative on the phone was very pleasant.)
- Phone interview with hiring manager followed
- Had 5 in-person interviews (2 case interviews and 3 behavioral with individuals from different departments. Some interviews were more like conversations that question/answer session that I expected. The interview with the VP was very rushed and he seemed to just be checking if he liked me or not and not necessarily checking on my skill sets. )
- It took them a long time to schedule the in person interviews and then come back with an offer.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Position paid too low

Client Support Engineer Interview

Client Support Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Blackboard in August 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter was quick to give me a call after I submitted my resume. We chatted a few days later, and he set up a call with the manager of the team I'd be working on. The manager told me I'd be interviewing for a different position, but it still sounded interesting to me. When I got to the interview (at 8:30 am, a little early in my opinion), the doors were locked, and nobody was staffing the front desk. I interviewed with a total of 5 people-- the manager, the VP and three team members. There was definite confusion about what position I was interviewing for, and it seems it hadn't been communicated to all my interviewers that the manager was interviewing me for position X instead of position Y. The recruiter never followed up with me after the interview, which I always find immensely disappointing. It takes less than 30 seconds to make a phone call, or shoot out an email; it's professional courtesy. When I followed up with him two weeks after the interview, he told me something along the lines of a lot of the team members were on vacation, as if they waited two weeks to file their interview reports. Overall, what started out as an exciting, intriguing opportunity ended disappointingly, with confusion at the interview, and no follow-up from the company.

Interview Question – There was nothing out of the ordinary.   View Answer

Product Manager Or Related Interview

Product Manager Or Related
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Blackboard in December 2010.

Interview Details – After poor communication from the HR representative, I was finally able to obtain enough information about the job/company and decided to come into their main office for an interview. The interview lasted 4 hours, of which I met with several different people and discussed the same few items on my resume. It seemed like the people I would be working with (or under) had a different description of the job that I had originally been told over the phone. As I was getting ready to leave the 4 hour "speed date" I noticed the HR person, who was supposed to walk me out had forgotten about me and was heading out for lunch. Luckily someone grabbed him. I never heard back from the company. NOTHING, even after e-mailing the HR person several times. I think that is absolutely unacceptable and rude. How hard is it to just send an e-mail or pick-up the phone. Looking back, I think I dodged a bullet. None of the people I interviewed with seemed all that happy there.

Client Support Interview

Client Support
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Blackboard in January 2010.

Interview Details – After a phone interview with the hiring manager I was invited in to spend a day and meet with subordinates, peers and superiors. After each session the person simply departed and the next person came in for their session. At the end of the day the last person simply walked me to the door. There was no closure or contracting regarding next steps. I followed up sending a note to each person and asking the hiring manager what the next steps were - never got a response. After 2 weeks I was told that they'd chosen an internal candidate. One month later the job is still posted.

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Interview

Sales
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Blackboard in January 2007.

Interview Details – Excellent company to work for. Great teams and leadership. Most people are in the 25 to 45 age group. Mentality is work hard,play hard. Benefits are very good and company really cares about its people so they do whatever it takes to make you happy. Telecommuting options are also available.

Interview Question – Describe 3 bad things your previous manager did.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very good process

Worked for Blackboard? Contribute to the Community!