Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com

Updated Oct 24, 2014

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com

Marketing Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com in August 2014.

Two in-person interviews with different people including HR, two VPs, and two Project Managers.People seemed nice, however the office looked very old and dull!
    The interview included 3 different tests including Powerpoint, Spelling test, categorizing...none were really related to the job.
    After going in for two interviews, which each took 2-3 hours, they never got back to me or responded to any of my follow up emails!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really hard, just the regular interview questions plus couple of tests   Answer Question

Market Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com in December 2012.

I met a current employee at a career fair. The next day I sent her my resume and she forwarded it on to HR. HR contacted me the following evening to schedule an in-person intervier.
    The office atmosphere was very off-putting when I arrived. Everyone seemed sad or annoyed. It might have been the weather.I went in for the interview, which was supposed to last about two hours and included a skills test. The test included very basic questions. (The first one was a sequence counting backwards by 1.) I was a little confused for some of the verbal questions because the answer options were just a box with a letter inside. For several of the questions I thought of several different words (synonyms) that could be an answer and the options were there for the words. I expressed concern to HR saying that it was a little confusing because if you had a broader vocabulary or were an innovative/creative thinker then the answers would be wrong according to the test, but right according to the test-taker. (I'm a big fan of open-ended questions because everyone thinks differently).There was also a spelling test.

Of the two hours that I was in their office, 1.5 was spent waiting. I got there early and wasn't taken back until 15 minutes after the scheduled interview. After the skills test, the HR representative came in to ask me questions about my resume. Once she found out that I had started out in HR at one of my internships before moving departments a month later, she began grilling me about the hiring practices and did not ask me any questions about how my skills related to the position I was interviewing for. I kept trying to get back on track, but she would ask questions about their HR department again. It felt like she was trying to prove to me that she knew about HR, which is fine and all, but she completely ignored the fact that I was interviewing for another position. She didn't ask one question about my skills that related to the job or why I wanted it or even why I wanted to work for the company. Also, she said that they had been having a hard time finding an intern and that maybe students just weren't interning. By this point I was fed up with talking about HR and just nodded. However, I had not seen 1 posting for an internship with them in all of my months of jobhunting. It makes me really doubt their competence. Overall, though, she was very friendly. She said she would let me know just after the first of the year if I passed the test and would move on to the next interview or if I didn't. I followed-up several times and she never replied.

Interview Questions
    • She kept asking about my HR experience, which was completely unrelated to the position, and she didn't ask me one question related to the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com in August 2011.

This process was hit and miss. First, let me preface this with the fact that the I was probably overqualified for the position I was interviewing for.

Anyway, the HR manager could not have been more polite. She contacted me via phone about interviewing and I was in for an in-person interview two days later. I met with three people that day and took a spelling/IQ style exam. The exam is easy, but only tangentially related to the job you might do for them.

After finishing that up, I met with an SVP. Talk about an unprofessional interview. After misreading my resume, he thought I had several long gaps in my employment history, which prompted him to ask if I have a history of health problems. He preceded the question with, "I know this isn't PC, but I am not a PC guy." No, not only is it not PC, it is ILLEGAL to ask that question. Also, if you look at my resume, there are no gaps except for when I was in school getting my M.S. He then proceeded to lecture me about how confusing my resume is. Funny, I have never heard that before, in fact, I have been complimented many times on my resume. He then drove home the point that this was an "entry-level position for entry-level pay." And even capped it off by tossing around a few f-bombs. He then told me how none of my experience was worth anything for this particular job, and when I tried to explain to him how it was, he told me I was wrong. Just wholly unprofessional, the kind of interview where you say, "I don't want to work for this company."

Next, I met with a junior staff member who was hired for the same position less than a year prior. This is when it became apparent what kind of talent they were seeking for this position. After having a thirty minute conversation with this staff member, who was nothing but pleasant, it became clear they were looking for someone with no knowledge of the industry, but a go-getters attitude.

Following this, the HR manager came back to discuss next steps and questions. She then called me a couple of days later to set up a second interview with another SVP and job-related skills test.

The skills test was two parts. First, you were given the responses to an open-ended survey question and asked to categorize them. Pretty simple. The next test however, is a complete waste of time. Ironically, it is a time management assessment. They give you a list of four or five tasks that you would typically need to complete for your job and when they are due. They then want you to prioritize them, predict when you would finish and who you would work with to do it. The last question is impossible to answer without being inside the company. Personally, I cam from an experience where I did every phase of research myself, turns out, they were looking for answers like, "call the coders to make sure they are doing their job." It is just not useful assessment tool.

After that, I met with the other SVP. Talk about 180 degrees from my previous experience. This guy was pleasant, personable, and intelligent. It was a good conversation and made me want to work for him. This interview was mostly position/company overview and any questions I had about the company/position.

Finally, the hiring manager came in again to answer questions and discuss next steps, which would have been reference checks and a Meyers-Briggs assessment test. However, I never got to that step. I believe that part of the reason I didn't get that far was because my salary expectations were much higher than they were willing to offer. They were offering between $30-35K, not even close for me.

After that interview, I was told I would hear back a week later, but I have still not heard from them and it has been more than a month.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask a lot of questions. They spent most of the time telling me about the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com in August 2011.

Prior to my interview I read the reviews on this website so my expectations were pretty low. The interview process was exactly as described by prior reviews: IQ test, spelling test, and about 5 questions to answer about yourself and about the company. To sum-up the interview at the Blackstone: lame...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com in March 2011.

I was very disappointed with the interview process at Blackstone. To sum it up the whole experience was extremely unprofessional. From the very start, the person who called and left me a voicemail requesting an interview left their phone number incorrectly. I should have taken this as a sign and stopped right there. But I eventually coordinated a day and time with the HR manager that I could come in during my lunch break to interview. The specific day was chosen based on who would be available in their office. However when I went in for the interview the hiring manager wasn't even there! I met with an office admin or assistant (?) who wrote down everything I said verbatim, asked no original questions, and was unable to answer any about the position. I was told I would be contacted in a few weeks when they had made a decision. I called/emailed later on to follow-up. Neither was responded to. Judging from the previous review these people have no idea what they want or do not actually have a budget to hire. Interviewing candidates for the same position from October to March??? And guess what they have since reposted it again! Stay away from Blackstone..

Market Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blackstone Group - bgglobal.com in October 2010.

I was brought in to interview after they'd seen my resume through my grad school. Interview appeared to be going well. I came in for what was supposed to be a 2 hour, 2 person interview with a few skills assessments. Then they wanted me to stay and meet with another member of the staff, so I stayed. Then they wanted me to meet with the president, so I stayed. Then they wanted me to meet with yet another member of the staff. When all was said and done, I was at their office for five hours without breaks.

Everything appeared to have gone well. They asked for references and a writing sample. They called my references... and then disappeared. I never heard the normal "we're pursuing other candidates" generic email or anything. Requests for a status report were ignored. After that lengthy of an interview, I think that a courtesy communication was in order.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were basic interview questions. No real hard questions.   Answer Question