Blain Farm and Fleet

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Verona, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed the same week I was hired
Start date was moved
Store management was confused about when my 1st day of employment would begin

Interview Question – Describe in detail an experience where you took a negative situation, and made it into a positive outcome.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much was negotiable
I found out later on that I had been hired under false understanding. I was told that I was the head of a particular department but, they decided to give the position to someone else whom came in from another location.

Sales Associate
La Crosse, WI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in August 2013.

Interview Details – After stopping in store and submitting an application, I was called back the next day for an interview. I met with one of the assistant managers and was asked very general interview questions, like "describe a situation in which you had to deal with an irate customer". They also have a small questionaire to assess your workplace compatibility. They let me know right away that they would take me on the next day, pending a standard drug test.

Interview Question – Would you go against company policy to satisfy a disgruntled customer?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet.

Interview Details – Had two interviews and they were standard retail management interviews. "Tell me about a time" Had to speak with 3 HR reps and then a district manager.

Interview Question – No diffucult questions, just policy and procedure type. "What would you do"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, not even at 90 days. They do not pay based on experience, all asistants are brought in at the same salary with 1 year oof experience or 20 years of experience.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

All Positions Interview

Morton, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process consists of a one-on-one talk with either the store manager or one of the four assistant managers. If they are interested in hiring someone they will call or have someone from the front desk call and set up a date and time for an interview.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiated.

Copy Writer Interview

Janesville, WI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted via phone by the head of retail. He asked me some problems regarding salary, expectations, and job experience. He told me to expect a phone call the next day, but I got one within a half an hour. This phone call told me that they wanted me to come to their HQ for an interview. Later that week, I interviewed. The interview went smoothly and was very informal. The lead editor told me that the interview was done but I had to stay for some personality test. I waited for an hour; after asking the receptionist for some clarification, it was announced that the HR person forgot about me. I quickly got through the paper work and got the hell out of there! I then received an email the next day that required me to write some mock documents up. After two-three weeks of waiting for a response, I finally got a letter in the mail saying that I didn't get the job for the Administrative Assistant! I didn't even apply for that job! This is why they need someone for their writing team! Idiots! Good thing I didn't get that job, I would have to work with absolute idiots.

Interview Question – How do you overcome challenges that seem daunting?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Automotive Technician Interview

Woodstock, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in March 2012.

Interview Details – They honestly did not seem to care at all what I had to say, they were more interested in filling out the interview paperwork management had given them. All of my answers were well thought out and precise, in the end all they do is circle a 1 (terrible) or a 5 (excellent).

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – They don't at all. They tell you what they pay and tell you that everyone starts there, they dont care when you can work as long as it is somehow at least 20 hours a week.

Floor Position Interview

Verona, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in May 2011.

Interview Details – They said the floor positions were filled, although they were just on-line and I came in the very next morning. So I had to take the cashier job. The HR person hired me then the cashier supervisor talked to me, they told me to take the drug test on Monday by 3:00, and they would call me in 2-3 days. I did what they said. They never called me, I called several times, they would say they didn't get my drug test back, this kept going on, then I got a card in the mail saying I was not hired, all positions were taken! I called quite upset. 10 minutes later corporate called me & said there was a problem with my drug test, I take prescription meds., told them from the beginning, got that straight, finally got a call one day before orientation.

Interview Question – There weren't any, just all the ??'s you read about on-line, the basic ones.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Only was over hours I guess, told them I don't drive in the dark, didn't seem concerned about it. I had put my availability at 6 A.M. - 6 P.M. Sun.-Sat. asked if someone was late or something like that, would I stay until they got help. I replied, sure, I would. And I had put part-time at 20-25 hours a week!

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Desk Interview

Watertown, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in August 2009.

Interview Details – Walked in and told the girl at the counter that I was there for an interview. She told me to have a seat in the chairs across the store and she'd tell the manager I was there. 20 minutes later he came to get me. He took me upstairs to a small room and asked me a series of generic questions ajd hen gave me a background check form to fill out and a personality test to take. 45 minutes later, after I'd been done for 30 minutes, he took the papers and then I waited another half an hour and he came back. He offered me the job and then gave me drug test papers to take to the hospital. It took 2 weeks before I got called for orientation. I had called the hospital after 4 days since my drug test and they said the results had been sent into the employer 2 days before.

Interview Question – Do you mind working outside your job description?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating the pay is not possible. They will not budge on it. Hours and schedule are dependant on what position you are hired for. Anything cashier or customer service desk related are non negotiable.

Any Store Position Interview

Štore (Slovenia)

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet.

Interview Details – Most applications are kept on file for at least three months, so it is possible to not get a call for an interview until later in that time period. While there are some basic interview questions, they style of interview varies on who is actually giving it. Avoid bad mouthing previous job managers. Also the positions are either hourly or salary, so arguing that you want to be paid by commission or book time is pointless. There is a basic personality test, it's better not to think to hard, just choose your first answer and move on.

Interview Question – At the time I was looking for any opening, so when I was asked what I knew about cars, I was surprised. I answered truthfully about the little I new. When asked if I was willing to learn more, I said yes. I was then asked if I would prefer a position in ladies wear or the tire desk.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blain Farm and Fleet in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was told of a full-time position opening up in the ag department at this store by an employee that I knew. I filled out a hard-copy application and turned it in. I was notified of an interview over the phone. I spent two days interviewing. Then I took a drug test. I was notified that I was accepted and came in to start the training process. This process involved a store tour along with viewing of training vidoes.

Interview Question – Do you know what a reducer is?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much to negotiate, except possibly the hourly wage.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Blain Farm and Fleet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blain Farm and Fleet interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Blain Farm and Fleet employees and interview candidates.