Blinds to Go Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014
Updated Oct 1, 2014

2.4

Design Consultant Interview

The company seems cool overall..I went to to one of the stores for a visit and that went great,had a phone interview and that went well also,had a 1 on 1 interview with a recruiter and that went excellent..when I had my last interview the manager told me to my face I wouldn't fit in with their company standards,I was judged on not remembering the meaning of my first name,he crossed out my first name and wrote it out the way he wanted to on my resume,told me there's no such thing as bad management,didn't believe my story to why I wanted to leave my current employer,kept looking out the door to stare at the receptionist and told me to my face I can't take criticism without even knowing me..that made me look at the whole company in a whole new perspective and if you really look at this situation it's a form of discrimination..let me add..the whole interview was very unprofessional and no he wasn't another race..never have I experienced something like this and I hope this doesn't happen to another person again..I actually tried to reach out to someone to discuss it and I was ignored

Interview Questions
    • What does my first name mean,what previous jobs have I applied for and why haven't I received a call for a interview????   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Blinds to Go in August 2014.

I have applied on their website in Feb. Got recruiter called in Aug. He gave me a phone interview without notice. Then set up a store visit. Told me to call back after visit. I did. When I called, he apparently forgot who I am and gave me another phone interview again. Then said he will call me back in a week which he did not. Then I called and left voice message to restate my interest to this position. No replied at all. Very unprofessional !!!

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Blinds to Go in November 2013.

The recruiter reached out to me before coming to a career fair at my university. After the career fair and phone correspondence, I was invited to interview on site. After the tour I was kept waiting over an hour and the recruiter seemed unprepared and unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what universities I applied to besides my alma mater and which ones rejected me. They also asked me to elaborate on the personal family issues that created gaps in my work experience. These struck me as inappropriate and irrelevant to the position.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Blinds to Go.

After a typical phone interview I was asked to come in for a formal sit down interview. I met three different managers, two of which I was impressed with and one that I was not particularly fond of simply because she seemed like she kind of had a bad attitude and didn't really care about meeting a new prospective employee or answering any of my questions. Anyway, after meeting those managers and touring the facility, I sat down with the regional manager for a formal interview. While he was very nice and easy to talk to, I did not particularly care for his interview style. First of all, he would loudly sit there bitting his nails while I was answering his questions which grossed me out and threw me off of my game a little bit. Then his final question really put a sour taste in my mouth. "say your current employer was to tell you I will give you a 10% commission after you make $1.5 in sales for this coming year, what would you do to ensure that you made your sales goal"? It seems like a fair and decent interview question so I went to say I would seek out new customers, demonstrate my outstanding customer service abilities, show that my customer service skills are better than my competitors etc. but then after I said this he said "okay, you've done that already, what else would you do". So then I gave him another idea to which he said "okay, you've done that already, what else would you do" this went on for another two rounds, to which I said "then I would gather my marketing team and come up with a new comprehensive marketing strategy" to his reply, "so basically you will not be getting that bonus with a chuckle." It was interesting to say the least. Surprisingly, I was asked to come back for a second interview to which I declined. As an experienced manager who does a fair amount of hiring interviews, I was quite taken back and did not feel like I would excel at this company.

Interview Questions
    • "say your current employer was to tell you I will give you a 10% commission after you make $1.5 in sales for this coming year, what would you do to ensure that you made your sales goal"?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Everett, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Everett, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blinds to Go in November 2012.

The found my resume online. Called me in to go see the store. Manager asked me illegal questions regarding my age and ethnic background. Called me back in to meet with both HR people. Kept asking illegal interview questions. They didn't like it when I asked them questions about working 10 hour days or having to clean the bathrooms.

It seems to me that they only want to hire people who are in their twenties and straight out of college.

Interview Questions
    • How old are you? Where were you born? What is your "race"?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blinds to Go in April 2012.

Spoke with a recruiter on-campus, about 2 weeks later I was asked to do an interview at one the showrooms. Very straight forward interview and was shown what the position would entail. About a week later, I had to return to that product showroom for another interview. At the end of the 2nd interview they made me an offer

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, which was very nice and unexpected. "What do you like to do?" "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question
    Not really able to negotiate, they tell you your base up front and say it's low because the commission is unlimited

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Blinds to Go in February 2011.

Long process with multiple people. Asks about previous jobs.. why you chose them.. how you chose them.. what you plan on getting out of it. Breakdown of what you did at each previous job on resume. Asked for your feedback and end of interview and gave you feedback as well.

Interview Questions
    • Giving the interviewer feedback on the interview.   View Answer
    No negotiation phase... salary is set for all new hires (as I was told)

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blinds to Go in January 2011.

After applying online I was contacted later on that night. I spoke with someone within the company on the phone and set up to visit a store to talk with employees where they went over their experience within the company and tell a little more about the company culture. After doing a store visit I contacted the recruiter where I had another phone interview. The next step was going in to the corporate office for an actual one on one interview where I spoke with two people in higher positions within the company. Finally I recieved a call from the recruiter to come in to corporate again where I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you decide to apply with blinds to go vs the other companies you applied for?   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garden City Park, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Garden City Park, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Blinds to Go in August 2010.

You just go in the day of the interview and the manager just shows you around. You get to see how staff interacts with customers. Then the manager explains to you about the company. Then you have to call HR and let them know how it went. They say the will call you.

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Blinds to Go in November 2009.

The interview was rather informal, but the people were professional and extremely friendly. I cannot stress enough how great the people were- the position's pay was the only big problem.

Interview Questions

They don't seem to treat their employees well, making them stand up all day. Why would they not be able to sit on a tall stool while clicking on a computer? Sitting wouldn't make them look any less professional. But my main problem was that the pay is extremely low, especially considering the level of education they want their employees (who are basically glorified salespeople who do absolutely no design work) to have.