Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.9

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in February 2015.

applied.on website. contacted by hr about 4 weeks later. set up first phone interview, should be with.two engineers, but only one. 30min, some technical q. more.about my resume, expericence,and project. Still.waiting for the.result.

Cinematic Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

My friend works at blizzard so i sent my resume to him to give to HR. the hiring process took about 2 weeks. I got interviewed by an editor and producer over the phone. the call was supposed to take 30 minutes but mine took only 10 because I was talking more about their games than i was about their cinematics. it seems like if you're applying for anything towards cinematics they want you to be more focused on their films than games. I've been told that you don't even have to like playing a lot of games if you're applying for their cinematics team. but i'm sure liking their games will help

Technical Director Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

There were three interviewers like most companies. Questions were about the past projects experience and brain teasers. One of them asked me how to do the path search in my robotics projects; another asked questions about numerical integration, like the aspects of Runge Kutta. One brain teaser I remember is, given a t-rec and a pack of sheep on a island, how large the island needs to be to keep all creatures alive, pretty open.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Getting to the interview was a bit of a mess. Several of my communications with the recruiter about my goals for the interview were seemingly ignored. This meant I was shoehorned into an interview that was not the best match for my skills and goals.

The phone interviews were direct, no-nonsense affairs that seemed to work well as a first evaluation.

The on-site interview itself was efficient. There was a programming quiz in the morning, then an afternoon debrief and multiple interview sessions. The people were friendly and all were gamers. They asked good questions about all aspects of game development, and made sure I had time to ask my own questions.

They made it pretty clear that they thought a person was lucky to have the opportunity to work for Blizzard. I unfortunately got the sense repeatedly throughout the day that my individuality would not be valued or respected, but that instead I would be added as a mere cog in the machine.

Interview Questions
    • The programming test defined a data structure incorrectly. I solved the problem as defined, but the debrief ran into a roadblock because the programmers were expecting a solution based on a different definition of that data structure. Once I realized that had happened, I tried to come up with a solution on the spot. This was a good opportunity to show my ability to think on my feet, but involved some awkward back and forth as neither set of folks realized the disconnect right away.   Answer Question

As others here have stated, the offered compensation package was laughable. After accounting for the ridiculous cost of living in SoCal, it would have meant a 50% pay cut to take the job. I may still have considered it since Blizzard games are so good, but I also didn't feel very encouraged by the attitudes I detected during my interview day, and the thought of plugging myself into the WoW machine for the next several years of my career didn't sound very appealing compared to working on the other cool projects at the company.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in November 2014.

A month after applying, received an email asking to setup time for a phone interview. Not once but twice they cancelled on me and had to reschedule. I was nice about it - I expect that kind of thing once. But twice was a bit much, and they always cancelled about 5 minutes after the scheduled time had passed.

I finally got the guy on the phone the third attempt 2 weeks later. He asked a lot of behavioral questions - whats your strengths/weaknesses, best project, worst project, previous work experience. He asked me a few technical C++ questions, nothing crazy. In a google doc, he asked me several programming quizzes such as to design a stack.

Got an email the next day asking me to do a technical test (which I thought I had just done over the phone, but whatever). It said to spend UP TO 4 hours and return it within a week. Unusual time constraint, but fair enough I though.

The question was to design and implement a game of Checkers against a primitive AI. Certain checker rules had to be required such as mandatory jumps to capture over normal movement and English draughts, and chain jumping.

I spent EXACTLY 4 hours on it. No more, no less. It seems easy, but to test a full game of checkers over and over as you add and remove features is not exactly easy with a 4 hour time constraint. And foolish me, I didn't really want to cheat the time even though I could've easily done so. And apparently should have.

Honesty does NOT win here folks. Despite all the testing I could've done, despite all the features I implemented, it took them 3 weeks to get back to me and they said no with zero feedback. Despite the fact I submitted much earlier than their requirement, I implemented all the rules, I had the jump chaining, the only bug I was aware of I thoroughly documented and could've fixed with a little bit of extra time. The AI was a bit more advanced than they asked for too, and with an extra 15 minutes I could've easily put in move evaluation/minmax too.

All that effort was not good enough. For what reason, I will never know it seems. Waste of time, even after all the cancellations grievances. I wonder if my code was even looked at.... The HR lady I was speaking with was extremely nice though, all things considered, and she said she tried to find other Graduate positions I could maybe fill and said there were none available. If the guy didn't cancel on me and got back to me in less than 2 months, maybe that would've been different...

Interview Questions
    • Create a game of checkers using specific rules again an AI, must have an ASCII GUI or better, in 4 hours.   Answer Question

Environmental Artist Interview

It is clear that this company does not look closely enough at each applicant's skill by visiting portfolio websites. They need to look beyond the resume and actually look at an applicant's work.

Strategy Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

The interview process itself was actually very good, despite warnings that Blizzard was very slow etc. I think I applied and the following week was interviewed by HR. During the call they said I"d be called in for an interview. I had one interview the next Tuesday with the hiring manager and two other directors I'd be working with; I was told the following day to come in that Thursday to interview with the COO and chief of staff. They might have sped up the process because I said I was in final stages for another company. I received a verbal offer the next week (without compensation numbers or anything just that I would get an offer) but was finally given the numbers and soft copy about a week and a half/two weeks after that. I was told on a Wednesday night with a deadline of Friday (because they had actually drafted it much earlier but hadn't sent it to me). HR told me that was fine and I could have that extended, but didn't give another date. However, after 2 weeks (I was checking various questions such a maternity leave, whether or not there was negotiating room in compensation and vacation [you start out with 10 days]) it was unexpectedly rescinded without notice. I was surprised to say the least, but perhaps I dodged a bullet because clearly communications isn't their strong suit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me one thing that you disagreed with everyone around you.   Answer Question

This was actually rescinded without notice. This is not an option listed on glassdoor

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in August 2014.

This... was really insane. To be honest.

I got a call on phone from HR. Then another call from another person in HR. Once that was completed I was set up with a call from a front end developer technical review. Once I completed that I was set up with another call with HR. After that they sent me a technical take home exam no more than 3 hours - to build a Ul Li menu from scratch not using jquery. ONce I completed that - then another call. After that they finally flew me out to Texas.

When I arrived it was very late. I felt like I didn't have time to prep. I had to pay for all the taxi service which is almost 100 a pop each way.

When I got to the building - I was immediately put in a room for an hour to do a really intense senior level engineer exam with no internet or references. I was told if I didn't know it off hand - to just write down my process of troubleshooting.

Once I did this I was put in another room with 3 people to interview. Then a lunch interview with 2 people. Once that was completed another 2 man interview. Then a conference call with some big wig in California. I was told... mind you Im a front end MVC developer - that they weren't interested in me because I didn't know enough low level coding.

I was told to come back in 6 months. I was more shocked than anything. They did inform me there is an abundant of people begging to work for them so in a sense - they were hoping for a senior level developer for mid level/junior level wage. So.. thats my experience.

Interview Questions
    • random low level code tests... without internet or stackoverflow   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Speak about the portfolio, I think it will be helpful to talk more and do not leave the gap time, they want to hear how do you work on a project, any detailed information and steps.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

A few months after applying online, I was contacted through email to set up a phone interview. The first phone interview was more general, questions about myself, my interests in the company and personal hobbies. The second interview was with two engineers. They asked a bit about my experience, then gave me an over the phone exercise: design a set of test cases for some random object they gave me.

Interview Questions
    • I suppose the test design question about the random object. There wasn't anything all that hard.   Answer Question