Blizzard Entertainment

76 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Support Interview

IT Support

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – Recruiter called me regarding this position and she set me up with a phone interview with the managers. I had to call in on the interview as oppose to the other way around. One of the interviewer was quite rude.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application through the careers site, and three weeks later I got an email from a recruiter wanting to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was a week later, and was with the hiring manager and another engineer. We talked about experience, the position, my background, and what they were looking for. There were some technical questions related to the position, and two programming questions that I answered in a shared google doc.

Another week later, I heard back that they wanted to bring me for an on-site interview. From that point, it took three weeks for them to get it scheduled, with several phone calls and emails to the recruiter just to get a status update as to what was going on.

The on-site was chaotic, but all the employees were nice enough. The schedule got changed at the last minute, meaning lunch got cut short in order to accommodate people's schedules, and things became very disjointed. I understand that things change, but it's a discomforting to have the entire schedule shifted when you arrive, and then the programming piece ended up being split between two separate time slots which really messed with the flow. Some folks felt like they were just stalling to fill time, while others were rushing through, because that had other meetings to go to. In the end, I was out of there an hour earlier than the original schedule said.

After that, I never heard another word back. I called and emailed the recruiter several times over the following few weeks, but never got any response. I found this unprofessional, given that I had actually come in for an on-site. I can understand not responding to every phone interview, but if someone makes it past that stage, the least you can do is let them know the status of their application.

Interview Question – NDA - just know your algorithms, data structures, etc., as well as skills relevant to the position.   Answer Question

Game Designer Interview

Game Designer
Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews. The first phone interview was a basic "who are you" type interview. After the first interview, I was asked to complete a design project. Upon completing the design project, I was offered a second interview in which I was asked game design questions about the document that I completed. Following this interview, Blizzard provided me with a flight to LA for an in-person interview.

The interview process overall was positive, however, the process is extremely slow. This process occurred over 3 months.

The most difficult aspect of this interview was creative questions. I am confident I could answer creative questions given additional time, however, I have difficulty being creative on the fly. Game mechanics questions were fairly easy and I was comfortable answering them quickly.

To be honest, I expected to get the job. The in-person interview went very well and everyone was positive.

Interview Question – What skills would you provide to X character? This question is difficult to answer quickly and there were plenty of them.   Answer Question

Localization QA Analyst Interview

Localization QA Analyst
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in August 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process took a little bit too long. Communication was primarily done by emails but with ocasional phone and Skype interviews. There was an in-person interview after 4 months since the moment I applied. The process was long but smooth. Blizzard is really professional with its recruiting process.

Interview Question – I you had an issue with another employee, what is the first thing you would do?   View Answer

Quality Assurance Analyst III Interview

Quality Assurance Analyst III

I applied in-person and interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – Very good interview. I felt like the questions were on point however I suppose I was under-prepared for this position. The interview was in a nice room and all the employees seemed friendly. Blizzard has a nice campus and one that I would want to work at in the future.

Interview Question – My experience   Answer Question

Senior Compensation Analyst Interview

Senior Compensation Analyst
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – The initial interview process was standard with a follow-up call from the recruiter shortly after I had submitted my application online. After a brief run-through of my qualifications and prior experience, we scheduled my initial face-to-face interviews and skill check.

After arriving on campus, I was taken to a small testing room with about 6 computers where I took a quick excel test which measured my ability to do VLOOKUP, PIVOT, and IF functions along with a few compensation related critical thinking questions.

Once that was over, I was taken to the first of three in-face interviews with various people of function and level. The interview questions were fairly standard and of the "targeted selection" variety. All-in-all I saw 5 people and 1 computer on my first round of interviews.

Feedback came a few days later and was extremely positive, so a second round of interviews was scheduled. This time I met with several director-levels and all three interviews that day were very pleasant. the hiring director took me to lunch and we had an informal lunchtime interview which again, was pleasant and personable.

The final call came from the recruiter about a week and a half later and they chose a candidate whom they felt had broader knowledge of the industry (I work in compensation, but in the specific subset of sales incentives).

Interview Question – What was the most difficult part of this interview today?   View Answer

Localization QA Analyst (Engineering Writer) Interview

Localization QA Analyst (Engineering Writer)
Irvine, CA

I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2010.

Interview Details – couple of talks and background check, overall people are nice and smart, focusing more on passion and potential than skill set. Love the company more during the interview process coz the culture reflected

Negotiation Details – not much margin to negotiate

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

Interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment

Interview Details – Had a phone interview scheduled after submitting my resume. Did not hear back after phone interview. Assumed I did not get the job.

Interview Question – Job skill that will not translate from your current job to desired position   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in December 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was interesting, and involved some very cool/nice people, but ultimately was fairly disappointing. Communication started strong but ended up being pretty weak. I initially did a phone interview with the hiring manager, and was almost immediately invited to participate in a second round of interviews via Skype. The issue was that it would be several weeks until that second interview could occur, due to the holidays and the vacations that involved Blizzard staff had planned.

The Skype interview went pretty well, but I felt the first round of the Skype interview process was a little shaky and uncoordinated. That might partly be due to the low quality of the Skype video and difficulty hearing the interviewers at times. The subsequent rounds went much better.

I was told that I would be hearing back either way within about a week or two, as they were looking to quickly fill the position. This is unfortunately where communication really broke down. The recruiter who was handling the candidates for this position left Blizzard, and there apparently was a poor hand-off of candidates to the recruiter's replacement. After several attempts to reach someone in Blizzard HR who was involved in the process, I finally heard back from the new recruiter in the form of a generic cut-and-paste email informing me that I had not been selected for the job. I was hoping for a little more detail, particularly feedback from the hiring manager (which I was told from the beginning that I'd receive), but I never got that information.

It was a bummer, and a very long interview process, but it was cool to get the opportunity. Despite the somewhat negative experience with the process, the people involved (especially the managers I interviewed with) were really fantastic and bright people.

Interview Question – They were very interested in detailed explanation of infrastructures that I'd previously supported, and asked a lot of questions about why I made certain decisions. They look for details to understand your thought process. They also asked some scenario-based questions, asking how you would approach a particular problem and seek to resolve it.   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Intern Interview

Software Test Engineer Intern
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through their company career website and about a month later I heard back from University Relations. They set up a general phone interview with the typical why do you want to work here questions. After that I had a technical interview with 2 Blizzard devs. They asked me typical questions about technologies listed on my resume, challenges i've faced and how I resolved them. Then they asked me to tell them everything I know about Hash Tables since I mentioned using them in a prior question they asked. After this interview they said they'd contact me if they were still interested.

They contacted me via e-mail about a week later to set up another technical interview. This time I was meeting with 3 different devs. They called and had me connect to a website where I would solve a problem . After about 40 minutes they were ( or seemed ) satisfied with my solution and let me ask them some questions.

I was told it would be 1-2 weeks that I would hear back from them regarding my status on the position - it's been 3 weeks now so I'm assuming I did not get the position. It's a bummer, the engineers I spoke with seemed like pretty cool people and I would have liked to learn from them. Oh well, better luck next year right?

Interview Question – They asked me to write a function to find the amount of grouped words given an array of words. They also gave me a definition for a grouped word but I wont put that here. Know your basics and you're solid.   Answer Question

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!