Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Associate User Experience Designer Interview

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by a recruiter about 4 weeks later to schedule a telephone interview. After the telephone interview I was invited to the campus for an on-site interview with the entire team that lasted about 4 hours. All in all, although I did not receive an offer, it was a very good experience with a very great company whose products I enjoy.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your experience with the UX Design process.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

After the initial phone interview I was given an example coding challenge. That's as far as I got in the process but I was told that, if successful, an on-site interview would have followed

Interview Questions

• Phone: what's the difference between a class and interface   Answer Question
    • challenge: write a java web server that can handle simple servlet requests using only the core java io libraries   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer - Risk Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter a couple weeks after applying, and set up a phone interview with an engineer. He asked me some basic questions about my resume, and we verbally went over a quick coding exercise. I was contacted a couple days later to do a Skype interview with some engineers. We set this up for about a week later. This interview was much harder than the first one. They sent over a pdf with three coding problems on them, and I went over the problems and solved them with the engineers by sharing a google doc. A couple days later I was told that they would like to bring me in for an on site interview. They flew me out all the way from the east coast and I spent the day interviewing/seeing the campus. The first interview was pretty challenging, but not as bad as the Skype one. It didn't involve writing any actual code, and was more about going over problems verbally. The second interview was just a lunch interview, and actually didn't really feel like an interview at all. The last one was with the team leader, who was the first person I spoke to. He asked me to do one relatively easy coding problem on a whiteboard, and then told me they would be making me an offer at the end. The overall experience was great. Their headquarters is amazing and it killed me a bit to decline the offer, but after weighing all of my options I think it was the right choice. I'm going to apply there again in the future when I feel more ready to make a career move like this one.

Interview Questions

• Questions about data structures and algorithms... signed a non-disclosure agreement   Answer Question

Game Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Austin, TX).

Interview

Brief, but friendly and the questions were not hard, more directed toward gaming specifically and to gauge if you can handle the array of chatters. Most of the questionn were along the lines of "What would you do/have you done in this particular situation?"

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in June 2015.

Interview

It started off with a standard phone screen followed by a design assignment. Tl;dr the design assignment asks you fix existing problems current Blizzard products face. Blizzard took my design assignment and I never heard back from them again. Don't work here unless you want people to steal your work.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Emailed a week or so later to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager and one team member. Email correspondence was a little strange because multiple recruiters were in contact with me and would then say someone else would contact me to schedule things. Standard 30-40 minute phone interview, then an exercise, then 60 minute Skype interview, and then an onsite interview.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from a recruiter about a month later. The first interview was scheduled for a couple of weeks later. It was a phone interview with two team members for the department I applied for. The questions were extremely targeted to the work I'd be performing, and while it wasn't overly challenging, they asked a very wide variety of questions covering basically every aspect of the job. The interview went extremely well. About a month passed with no contact after this. I sent through a couple follow-up requests to the recruiter (at no point does Blizzard allow you to have contact information for the people you interview with, not even to say "thank you."), and my second email was finally responded to, and we set up a second phone interview. The second interview was very similar, but was with someone from a related department. Again, lots of specific questions about what I'd look to do with the department and working style. This interview also seemed to go extremely well. Then, the recruiters stopped responding altogether. There were no additional follow-ups to either confirm that I did not get the position or provide updates on the status. Future emails were simply ignored. It's unfortunate that such a positive experience with the interviews was soured by the recruiting group.

Database Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in April 2015.

Interview

10 minute phone interview that was a total sham. If they are not serious about a candidate, then why interview them? It is a classic lose-lose situation.I knew instantly they didn't want me when they said the hiring manager was too busy to attend the interview. Thank you Blizzard, I prepared few hours for a 10 minute interview which was a total waste of time for all of us.

Interview Questions

• Why did you put your GMAT score on your resume? (Because it was very decent) What Blizzard games have you played? Tell me how you have managed a database team.   Answer Question

Web Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The first phone interview is background scanning in general. For those who didn't over polish resume, nothing challenging here.The Second interview actually has less technical questions than I expected. They did ask the progress of development but not super specific coding questions.....There are fair amount of culture fit questions actually.. The waiting progress is really really long...........Joining the linkedin group might help to be notified somehow...

MBA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted a month later by HR to fill up a questionnaire, followed by 2 rounds of phone interviews. No hard ball questions. If you are a gamer and truly passionate about their games, it will be a very pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite game? What game are you currently playing   Answer Question