Blizzard Entertainment

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Getting to the interview was a bit of a mess. Several of my communications with the recruiter about my goals for the interview were seemingly ignored. This meant I was shoehorned into an interview that was not the best match for my skills and goals.

The phone interviews were direct, no-nonsense affairs that seemed to work well as a first evaluation.

The on-site interview itself was efficient. There was a programming quiz in the morning, then an afternoon debrief and multiple interview sessions. The people were friendly and all were gamers. They asked good questions about all aspects of game development, and made sure I had time to ask my own questions.

They made it pretty clear that they thought a person was lucky to have the opportunity to work for Blizzard. I unfortunately got the sense repeatedly throughout the day that my individuality would not be valued or respected, but that instead I would be added as a mere cog in the machine.

Interview Questions
    • The programming test defined a data structure incorrectly. I solved the problem as defined, but the debrief ran into a roadblock because the programmers were expecting a solution based on a different definition of that data structure. Once I realized that had happened, I tried to come up with a solution on the spot. This was a good opportunity to show my ability to think on my feet, but involved some awkward back and forth as neither set of folks realized the disconnect right away.   Answer Question

As others here have stated, the offered compensation package was laughable. After accounting for the ridiculous cost of living in SoCal, it would have meant a 50% pay cut to take the job. I may still have considered it since Blizzard games are so good, but I also didn't feel very encouraged by the attitudes I detected during my interview day, and the thought of plugging myself into the WoW machine for the next several years of my career didn't sound very appealing compared to working on the other cool projects at the company.

Environmental Artist Interview

It is clear that this company does not look closely enough at each applicant's skill by visiting portfolio websites. They need to look beyond the resume and actually look at an applicant's work.

Strategy Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

The interview process itself was actually very good, despite warnings that Blizzard was very slow etc. I think I applied and the following week was interviewed by HR. During the call they said I"d be called in for an interview. I had one interview the next Tuesday with the hiring manager and two other directors I'd be working with; I was told the following day to come in that Thursday to interview with the COO and chief of staff. They might have sped up the process because I said I was in final stages for another company. I received a verbal offer the next week (without compensation numbers or anything just that I would get an offer) but was finally given the numbers and soft copy about a week and a half/two weeks after that. I was told on a Wednesday night with a deadline of Friday (because they had actually drafted it much earlier but hadn't sent it to me). HR told me that was fine and I could have that extended, but didn't give another date. However, after 2 weeks (I was checking various questions such a maternity leave, whether or not there was negotiating room in compensation and vacation [you start out with 10 days]) it was unexpectedly rescinded without notice. I was surprised to say the least, but perhaps I dodged a bullet because clearly communications isn't their strong suit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me one thing that you disagreed with everyone around you.   Answer Question

This was actually rescinded without notice. This is not an option listed on glassdoor

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in August 2014.

This... was really insane. To be honest.

I got a call on phone from HR. Then another call from another person in HR. Once that was completed I was set up with a call from a front end developer technical review. Once I completed that I was set up with another call with HR. After that they sent me a technical take home exam no more than 3 hours - to build a Ul Li menu from scratch not using jquery. ONce I completed that - then another call. After that they finally flew me out to Texas.

When I arrived it was very late. I felt like I didn't have time to prep. I had to pay for all the taxi service which is almost 100 a pop each way.

When I got to the building - I was immediately put in a room for an hour to do a really intense senior level engineer exam with no internet or references. I was told if I didn't know it off hand - to just write down my process of troubleshooting.

Once I did this I was put in another room with 3 people to interview. Then a lunch interview with 2 people. Once that was completed another 2 man interview. Then a conference call with some big wig in California. I was told... mind you Im a front end MVC developer - that they weren't interested in me because I didn't know enough low level coding.

I was told to come back in 6 months. I was more shocked than anything. They did inform me there is an abundant of people begging to work for them so in a sense - they were hoping for a senior level developer for mid level/junior level wage. So.. thats my experience.

Interview Questions
    • random low level code tests... without internet or stackoverflow   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Speak about the portfolio, I think it will be helpful to talk more and do not leave the gap time, they want to hear how do you work on a project, any detailed information and steps.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

A few months after applying online, I was contacted through email to set up a phone interview. The first phone interview was more general, questions about myself, my interests in the company and personal hobbies. The second interview was with two engineers. They asked a bit about my experience, then gave me an over the phone exercise: design a set of test cases for some random object they gave me.

Interview Questions
    • I suppose the test design question about the random object. There wasn't anything all that hard.   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Recruiter called me regarding this position and she set me up with a phone interview with the managers. I had to call in on the interview as oppose to the other way around. One of the interviewer was quite rude.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

I had two phone interviews. The first phone interview was a basic "who are you" type interview. After the first interview, I was asked to complete a design project. Upon completing the design project, I was offered a second interview in which I was asked game design questions about the document that I completed. Following this interview, Blizzard provided me with a flight to LA for an in-person interview.

The interview process overall was positive, however, the process is extremely slow. This process occurred over 3 months.

The most difficult aspect of this interview was creative questions. I am confident I could answer creative questions given additional time, however, I have difficulty being creative on the fly. Game mechanics questions were fairly easy and I was comfortable answering them quickly.

To be honest, I expected to get the job. The in-person interview went very well and everyone was positive.

Interview Questions
    • What skills would you provide to X character? This question is difficult to answer quickly and there were plenty of them.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Analyst III Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Very good interview. I felt like the questions were on point however I suppose I was under-prepared for this position. The interview was in a nice room and all the employees seemed friendly. Blizzard has a nice campus and one that I would want to work at in the future.

Senior Compensation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

The initial interview process was standard with a follow-up call from the recruiter shortly after I had submitted my application online. After a brief run-through of my qualifications and prior experience, we scheduled my initial face-to-face interviews and skill check.

After arriving on campus, I was taken to a small testing room with about 6 computers where I took a quick excel test which measured my ability to do VLOOKUP, PIVOT, and IF functions along with a few compensation related critical thinking questions.

Once that was over, I was taken to the first of three in-face interviews with various people of function and level. The interview questions were fairly standard and of the "targeted selection" variety. All-in-all I saw 5 people and 1 computer on my first round of interviews.

Feedback came a few days later and was extremely positive, so a second round of interviews was scheduled. This time I met with several director-levels and all three interviews that day were very pleasant. the hiring director took me to lunch and we had an informal lunchtime interview which again, was pleasant and personable.

The final call came from the recruiter about a week and a half later and they chose a candidate whom they felt had broader knowledge of the industry (I work in compensation, but in the specific subset of sales incentives).

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult part of this interview today?   View Answer