Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.9

Database Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in April 2015.

Interview

10 minute phone interview that was a total sham. If they are not serious about a candidate, then why interview them? It is a classic lose-lose situation.I knew instantly they didn't want me when they said the hiring manager was too busy to attend the interview. Thank you Blizzard, I prepared few hours for a 10 minute interview which was a total waste of time for all of us.

Interview Questions

• Why did you put your GMAT score on your resume? (Because it was very decent)
      What Blizzard games have you played?
      Tell me how you have managed a database team.

Answer Question

MBA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted a month later by HR to fill up a questionnaire, followed by 2 rounds of phone interviews. No hard ball questions. If you are a gamer and truly passionate about their games, it will be a very pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite game? What game are you currently playing   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in February 2015.

Interview

The process started when I applied for a position through the online Blizzard Careers website. I was eventually contacted (months later) to schedule a phone interview.

The first phone screen was focused around work experience, resume information, and behavioral type questions. Basically, it was a standard non-technical phone interview without anything special.

The second phone screen was focused around technical work experience, some resume information, and detailed questions of things like algorithms, data structures, and technologies used in work experience. No coding was required.

Then I was sent a Microsoft Word document which described an application that I was tasked to create over the course of 7 days. The application had many different requirements, constraints, and some areas for bonus points. It was expected that the resulting application should be "production-ready" material with unit tests, exception handling, logging, serialization, and more. Expecting someone to hit all these points in 7 days (especially those of us with a full time job) is a little ridiculous. I spent a ton of my own free time finishing this application with great detail. After submitting the application, I received absolutely no response from the recruiter or anyone at Blizzard. As usual, none of the points of contact responded to any communication when I ask for an update.

I will assume that I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Create a web application that allows a user to manage their World of Warcraft characters   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

applied.on website. contacted by hr about 4 weeks later. set up first phone interview, should be with.two engineers, but only one. 30min, some technical q. more.about my resume, expericence,and project. Still.waiting for the.result.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

My friend works at blizzard so i sent my resume to him to give to HR. the hiring process took about 2 weeks. I got interviewed by an editor and producer over the phone. the call was supposed to take 30 minutes but mine took only 10 because I was talking more about their games than i was about their cinematics. it seems like if you're applying for anything towards cinematics they want you to be more focused on their films than games. I've been told that you don't even have to like playing a lot of games if you're applying for their cinematics team. but i'm sure liking their games will help

Technical Director Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

There were three interviewers like most companies. Questions were about the past projects experience and brain teasers. One of them asked me how to do the path search in my robotics projects; another asked questions about numerical integration, like the aspects of Runge Kutta. One brain teaser I remember is, given a t-rec and a pack of sheep on a island, how large the island needs to be to keep all creatures alive, pretty open.

Security Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Process was very straight forward but had long delays between components, however, after speaking to other internal employees that was an expected result. I placed my resume online and was contacted by a technical recruiter only a few days later. We reviewed salary expectations and was told I would be contacted for followup.

Step two consisted of an hour long phone interview with the senior manager. Questions were simple and obviously intended to fill a current business need. Interviewer was very personable and friendly.

Step three was an in person interview. This process took a while to schedule, but was very simple once the itinerary was provided. Interview was on-site and took a full 8 hours to complete. All interviews prior to lunch were extremely technical in nature. Lunch interview was relaxed and friendly. Post-lunch consisted mainly of senior management interviewing who were surprisingly laid back. Most questions were standard interview management faire, however, they also dived into non-related work experience and were very interested in personable interactions.

Administrative/Production Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through an outside recruiter, who set me up to come in for an interview. I met with two people from the department the role would be supporting. Nothing too unexpected, it was conversational in nature and we discussed their culture as well ask specific skills & experience. They were more professional than the recruiting firm that set it up

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with MS Office products, Excel, etc.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your interests and hobbies- Do you collect anything ?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

Getting to the interview was a bit of a mess. Several of my communications with the recruiter about my goals for the interview were seemingly ignored. This meant I was shoehorned into an interview that was not the best match for my skills and goals.

The phone interviews were direct, no-nonsense affairs that seemed to work well as a first evaluation.

The on-site interview itself was efficient. There was a programming quiz in the morning, then an afternoon debrief and multiple interview sessions. The people were friendly and all were gamers. They asked good questions about all aspects of game development, and made sure I had time to ask my own questions.

They made it pretty clear that they thought a person was lucky to have the opportunity to work for Blizzard. I unfortunately got the sense repeatedly throughout the day that my individuality would not be valued or respected, but that instead I would be added as a mere cog in the machine.

Interview Questions

• The programming test defined a data structure incorrectly. I solved the problem as defined, but the debrief ran into a roadblock because the programmers were expecting a solution based on a different definition of that data structure. Once I realized that had happened, I tried to come up with a solution on the spot. This was a good opportunity to show my ability to think on my feet, but involved some awkward back and forth as neither set of folks realized the disconnect right away.   Answer Question

As others here have stated, the offered compensation package was laughable. After accounting for the ridiculous cost of living in SoCal, it would have meant a 50% pay cut to take the job. I may still have considered it since Blizzard games are so good, but I also didn't feel very encouraged by the attitudes I detected during my interview day, and the thought of plugging myself into the WoW machine for the next several years of my career didn't sound very appealing compared to working on the other cool projects at the company.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in November 2014.

Interview

A month after applying, received an email asking to setup time for a phone interview. Not once but twice they cancelled on me and had to reschedule. I was nice about it - I expect that kind of thing once. But twice was a bit much, and they always cancelled about 5 minutes after the scheduled time had passed.

I finally got the guy on the phone the third attempt 2 weeks later. He asked a lot of behavioral questions - whats your strengths/weaknesses, best project, worst project, previous work experience. He asked me a few technical C++ questions, nothing crazy. In a google doc, he asked me several programming quizzes such as to design a stack.

Got an email the next day asking me to do a technical test (which I thought I had just done over the phone, but whatever). It said to spend UP TO 4 hours and return it within a week. Unusual time constraint, but fair enough I though.

The question was to design and implement a game of Checkers against a primitive AI. Certain checker rules had to be required such as mandatory jumps to capture over normal movement and English draughts, and chain jumping.

I spent EXACTLY 4 hours on it. No more, no less. It seems easy, but to test a full game of checkers over and over as you add and remove features is not exactly easy with a 4 hour time constraint. And foolish me, I didn't really want to cheat the time even though I could've easily done so. And apparently should have.

Honesty does NOT win here folks. Despite all the testing I could've done, despite all the features I implemented, it took them 3 weeks to get back to me and they said no with zero feedback. Despite the fact I submitted much earlier than their requirement, I implemented all the rules, I had the jump chaining, the only bug I was aware of I thoroughly documented and could've fixed with a little bit of extra time. The AI was a bit more advanced than they asked for too, and with an extra 15 minutes I could've easily put in move evaluation/minmax too.

All that effort was not good enough. For what reason, I will never know it seems. Waste of time, even after all the cancellations grievances. I wonder if my code was even looked at.... The HR lady I was speaking with was extremely nice though, all things considered, and she said she tried to find other Graduate positions I could maybe fill and said there were none available. If the guy didn't cancel on me and got back to me in less than 2 months, maybe that would've been different...

Interview Questions

• Create a game of checkers using specific rules again an AI, must have an ASCII GUI or better, in 4 hours.   Answer Question