Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter a couple weeks after applying, and set up a phone interview with an engineer. He asked me some basic questions about my resume, and we verbally went over a quick coding exercise.

I was contacted a couple days later to do a Skype interview with some engineers. We set this up for about a week later. This interview was much harder than the first one. They sent over a pdf with three coding problems on them, and I went over the problems and solved them with the engineers by sharing a google doc.

A couple days later I was told that they would like to bring me in for an on site interview. They flew me out all the way from the east coast and I spent the day interviewing/seeing the campus. The first interview was pretty challenging, but not as bad as the Skype one. It didn't involve writing any actual code, and was more about going over problems verbally. The second interview was just a lunch interview, and actually didn't really feel like an interview at all. The last one was with the team leader, who was the first person I spoke to. He asked me to do one relatively easy coding problem on a whiteboard, and then told me they would be making me an offer at the end.

The overall experience was great. Their headquarters is amazing and it killed me a bit to decline the offer, but after weighing all of my options I think it was the right choice. I'm going to apply there again in the future when I feel more ready to make a career move like this one.

Interview Questions

• Questions about data structures and algorithms... signed a non-disclosure agreement   Answer Question

Game Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Austin, TX).

Interview

Brief, but friendly and the questions were not hard, more directed toward gaming specifically and to gauge if you can handle the array of chatters. Most of the questionn were along the lines of "What would you do/have you done in this particular situation?"

Database Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in April 2015.

Interview

10 minute phone interview that was a total sham. If they are not serious about a candidate, then why interview them? It is a classic lose-lose situation.I knew instantly they didn't want me when they said the hiring manager was too busy to attend the interview. Thank you Blizzard, I prepared few hours for a 10 minute interview which was a total waste of time for all of us.

Interview Questions

• Why did you put your GMAT score on your resume? (Because it was very decent)
      What Blizzard games have you played?
      Tell me how you have managed a database team.

Answer Question

Web Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The first phone interview is background scanning in general. For those who didn't over polish resume, nothing challenging here.The Second interview actually has less technical questions than I expected. They did ask the progress of development but not super specific coding questions.....There are fair amount of culture fit questions actually..

The waiting progress is really really long...........Joining the linkedin group might help to be notified somehow...

MBA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted a month later by HR to fill up a questionnaire, followed by 2 rounds of phone interviews. No hard ball questions. If you are a gamer and truly passionate about their games, it will be a very pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite game? What game are you currently playing   Answer Question

VFX Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

application -> received the art test next day -> submitted the art test after 2 weeks -> scheduled phone interview next day -> phone interview next week -> they told me it takes minimum 48 hours to process and I'm still waiting for the answer.

They changed the recruiter during the interview process

Systems Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Telephonic interview. I was asked from the resume . Some networking questions from the resume and linux questions . It was the first round of interview. I was not selected so dont have any idea of how many more rounds they take.

Interview Questions

• Questions on linux - 1.what are the steps after booting the linux? 2. sys admins commands like grep. nslookup,etc and also basic networking TCP, UDP   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in February 2015.

Interview

The process started when I applied for a position through the online Blizzard Careers website. I was eventually contacted (months later) to schedule a phone interview.

The first phone screen was focused around work experience, resume information, and behavioral type questions. Basically, it was a standard non-technical phone interview without anything special.

The second phone screen was focused around technical work experience, some resume information, and detailed questions of things like algorithms, data structures, and technologies used in work experience. No coding was required.

Then I was sent a Microsoft Word document which described an application that I was tasked to create over the course of 7 days. The application had many different requirements, constraints, and some areas for bonus points. It was expected that the resulting application should be "production-ready" material with unit tests, exception handling, logging, serialization, and more. Expecting someone to hit all these points in 7 days (especially those of us with a full time job) is a little ridiculous. I spent a ton of my own free time finishing this application with great detail. After submitting the application, I received absolutely no response from the recruiter or anyone at Blizzard. As usual, none of the points of contact responded to any communication when I ask for an update.

I will assume that I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Create a web application that allows a user to manage their World of Warcraft characters   Answer Question

Application

Interview

applied.on website. contacted by hr about 4 weeks later. set up first phone interview, should be with.two engineers, but only one. 30min, some technical q. more.about my resume, expericence,and project. Still.waiting for the.result.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

My friend works at blizzard so i sent my resume to him to give to HR. the hiring process took about 2 weeks. I got interviewed by an editor and producer over the phone. the call was supposed to take 30 minutes but mine took only 10 because I was talking more about their games than i was about their cinematics. it seems like if you're applying for anything towards cinematics they want you to be more focused on their films than games. I've been told that you don't even have to like playing a lot of games if you're applying for their cinematics team. but i'm sure liking their games will help