Blizzard Entertainment

Relevance Date Difficulty

Game Designer Interview

Game Designer
Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews. The first phone interview was a basic "who are you" type interview. After the first interview, I was asked to complete a design project. Upon completing the design project, I was offered a second interview in which I was asked game design questions about the document that I completed. Following this interview, Blizzard provided me with a flight to LA for an in-person interview.

The interview process overall was positive, however, the process is extremely slow. This process occurred over 3 months.

The most difficult aspect of this interview was creative questions. I am confident I could answer creative questions given additional time, however, I have difficulty being creative on the fly. Game mechanics questions were fairly easy and I was comfortable answering them quickly.

To be honest, I expected to get the job. The in-person interview went very well and everyone was positive.

Interview Question – What skills would you provide to X character? This question is difficult to answer quickly and there were plenty of them.   Answer Question

Localization QA Analyst Interview

Localization QA Analyst
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in August 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process took a little bit too long. Communication was primarily done by emails but with ocasional phone and Skype interviews. There was an in-person interview after 4 months since the moment I applied. The process was long but smooth. Blizzard is really professional with its recruiting process.

Interview Question – I you had an issue with another employee, what is the first thing you would do?   View Answer

Senior Compensation Analyst Interview

Senior Compensation Analyst
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – The initial interview process was standard with a follow-up call from the recruiter shortly after I had submitted my application online. After a brief run-through of my qualifications and prior experience, we scheduled my initial face-to-face interviews and skill check.

After arriving on campus, I was taken to a small testing room with about 6 computers where I took a quick excel test which measured my ability to do VLOOKUP, PIVOT, and IF functions along with a few compensation related critical thinking questions.

Once that was over, I was taken to the first of three in-face interviews with various people of function and level. The interview questions were fairly standard and of the "targeted selection" variety. All-in-all I saw 5 people and 1 computer on my first round of interviews.

Feedback came a few days later and was extremely positive, so a second round of interviews was scheduled. This time I met with several director-levels and all three interviews that day were very pleasant. the hiring director took me to lunch and we had an informal lunchtime interview which again, was pleasant and personable.

The final call came from the recruiter about a week and a half later and they chose a candidate whom they felt had broader knowledge of the industry (I work in compensation, but in the specific subset of sales incentives).

Interview Question – What was the most difficult part of this interview today?   View Answer

Localization QA Analyst (Engineering Writer) Interview

Localization QA Analyst (Engineering Writer)
Irvine, CA

I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2010.

Interview Details – couple of talks and background check, overall people are nice and smart, focusing more on passion and potential than skill set. Love the company more during the interview process coz the culture reflected

Negotiation Details – not much margin to negotiate

Software Test Engineer Intern Interview

Software Test Engineer Intern
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through their company career website and about a month later I heard back from University Relations. They set up a general phone interview with the typical why do you want to work here questions. After that I had a technical interview with 2 Blizzard devs. They asked me typical questions about technologies listed on my resume, challenges i've faced and how I resolved them. Then they asked me to tell them everything I know about Hash Tables since I mentioned using them in a prior question they asked. After this interview they said they'd contact me if they were still interested.

They contacted me via e-mail about a week later to set up another technical interview. This time I was meeting with 3 different devs. They called and had me connect to a website where I would solve a problem . After about 40 minutes they were ( or seemed ) satisfied with my solution and let me ask them some questions.

I was told it would be 1-2 weeks that I would hear back from them regarding my status on the position - it's been 3 weeks now so I'm assuming I did not get the position. It's a bummer, the engineers I spoke with seemed like pretty cool people and I would have liked to learn from them. Oh well, better luck next year right?

Interview Question – They asked me to write a function to find the amount of grouped words given an array of words. They also gave me a definition for a grouped word but I wont put that here. Know your basics and you're solid.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – I applied online on the Blizzard website and I didn't get an email that asked me to go onsite for an interview until 4 months later.

The onsite interview was very informal and interesting. I met with three other engineers in a room and we chatted about my past technical experiences and what I like in general. Blizzard puts a heavy emphasis on company fit so that was probably the purpose of this interview.

About a week later, I received a second email for a technical phone interview. I was asked several pretty simple coding problems. A few days later I received an offer.

Interview Question – Write a function that finds an integer that has duplicates out of a list of integers. For example, with input [1, 2, 2, 3], the function should return 2.   View Answer

Concept Artist Interview

Concept Artist
Irvine, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was an extremely long interview. I think I met practically every other artist I would be working with. It seems like they liked my work and just wanted to make sure I would be nice to work with. Concept art jobs are not especially technical and they already have a really good idea of your art capabilities before they hire you.

They love Blizzard fans and game fans, so make sure you've played the games and at least can speak intelligently about them.

As a concept artist, it's important to be well versed in popular culture from an art perspective.

Interview Question – Questions were not especially difficult. It's pretty easy to know what answers they want to hear. "What would you do if you were asked to make a concept of X?"   Answer Question

QA Analyst Interview

QA Analyst
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2011.

Interview Details – Applied directly through the Blizzard Career site online. Got an email response followed by an interview in person. Very straight forward.

Interview Question – I was asked about my former classmates from college that had been working their for a few years. I went in not knowing they were even employed at the time.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Associate Software Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume using their online application form. I was contacted several days later to set up a phone interview which occurred a week later. The questions covered what I liked about the game and what I would change, and general knowledge questions about Lua and C++. About a week later I was contacted for an in-person interview in Irvine, CA which occurred about a week after that. They provided the airfare and hotel, and the experience was overall a very enjoyable one. Very friendly people, and amazing work environment. Three weeks later I received my offer.

Interview Question – If I hired you today, what should I be afraid of?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2013.

Interview Details – It took a while before they got around to contacting me regarding my resume. In fact, I got the auto-generated "thanks but no thanks" email first. A few days later I got another email asking to set up an interview. After the phone interview, which was about an hour or so, they called back almost immediately to ask me to come to the office to "chat" in person. It was more of a "meet the team" than anything. The next morning I had an email asking to fill out an application with my job requirement. Within minutes of submitting this paperwork, I received a response letting me know that they would be offering me the job within the next few days.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were pretty easy for me to answer... There wasn't anything that caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was very simple... I asked for what would be a realistic number for me to leave my current job, and they delivered. Some people may have been a little hesitant at first, because the "base" salary was lower than my "salary requirements"... however the added bonuses easily went beyond what I was asking for in terms of my yearly salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Blizzard Entertainment

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!