Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions in Irvine, CA

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

I had two phone interviews. The first phone interview was a basic "who are you" type interview. After the first interview, I was asked to complete a design project. Upon completing the design project, I was offered a second interview in which I was asked game design questions about the document that I completed. Following this interview, Blizzard provided me with a flight to LA for an in-person interview.

The interview process overall was positive, however, the process is extremely slow. This process occurred over 3 months.

The most difficult aspect of this interview was creative questions. I am confident I could answer creative questions given additional time, however, I have difficulty being creative on the fly. Game mechanics questions were fairly easy and I was comfortable answering them quickly.

To be honest, I expected to get the job. The in-person interview went very well and everyone was positive.

Interview Questions
    • What skills would you provide to X character? This question is difficult to answer quickly and there were plenty of them.   Answer Question

Senior Compensation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

The initial interview process was standard with a follow-up call from the recruiter shortly after I had submitted my application online. After a brief run-through of my qualifications and prior experience, we scheduled my initial face-to-face interviews and skill check.

After arriving on campus, I was taken to a small testing room with about 6 computers where I took a quick excel test which measured my ability to do VLOOKUP, PIVOT, and IF functions along with a few compensation related critical thinking questions.

Once that was over, I was taken to the first of three in-face interviews with various people of function and level. The interview questions were fairly standard and of the "targeted selection" variety. All-in-all I saw 5 people and 1 computer on my first round of interviews.

Feedback came a few days later and was extremely positive, so a second round of interviews was scheduled. This time I met with several director-levels and all three interviews that day were very pleasant. the hiring director took me to lunch and we had an informal lunchtime interview which again, was pleasant and personable.

The final call came from the recruiter about a week and a half later and they chose a candidate whom they felt had broader knowledge of the industry (I work in compensation, but in the specific subset of sales incentives).

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult part of this interview today?   View Answer

Software Test Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2014.

I applied online through their company career website and about a month later I heard back from University Relations. They set up a general phone interview with the typical why do you want to work here questions. After that I had a technical interview with 2 Blizzard devs. They asked me typical questions about technologies listed on my resume, challenges i've faced and how I resolved them. Then they asked me to tell them everything I know about Hash Tables since I mentioned using them in a prior question they asked. After this interview they said they'd contact me if they were still interested.

They contacted me via e-mail about a week later to set up another technical interview. This time I was meeting with 3 different devs. They called and had me connect to a website where I would solve a problem . After about 40 minutes they were ( or seemed ) satisfied with my solution and let me ask them some questions.

I was told it would be 1-2 weeks that I would hear back from them regarding my status on the position - it's been 3 weeks now so I'm assuming I did not get the position. It's a bummer, the engineers I spoke with seemed like pretty cool people and I would have liked to learn from them. Oh well, better luck next year right?

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to write a function to find the amount of grouped words given an array of words. They also gave me a definition for a grouped word but I wont put that here. Know your basics and you're solid.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

I applied online on the Blizzard website and I didn't get an email that asked me to go onsite for an interview until 4 months later.

The onsite interview was very informal and interesting. I met with three other engineers in a room and we chatted about my past technical experiences and what I like in general. Blizzard puts a heavy emphasis on company fit so that was probably the purpose of this interview.

About a week later, I received a second email for a technical phone interview. I was asked several pretty simple coding problems. A few days later I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that finds an integer that has duplicates out of a list of integers. For example, with input [1, 2, 2, 3], the function should return 2.   View Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2013.

It took a while before they got around to contacting me regarding my resume. In fact, I got the auto-generated "thanks but no thanks" email first. A few days later I got another email asking to set up an interview. After the phone interview, which was about an hour or so, they called back almost immediately to ask me to come to the office to "chat" in person. It was more of a "meet the team" than anything. The next morning I had an email asking to fill out an application with my job requirement. Within minutes of submitting this paperwork, I received a response letting me know that they would be offering me the job within the next few days.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were pretty easy for me to answer... There wasn't anything that caught me off guard.   Answer Question
    It was very simple... I asked for what would be a realistic number for me to leave my current job, and they delivered. Some people may have been a little hesitant at first, because the "base" salary was lower than my "salary requirements"... however the added bonuses easily went beyond what I was asking for in terms of my yearly salary.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2013.

I submitted my resume using their online application form. I was contacted several days later to set up a phone interview which occurred a week later. The questions covered what I liked about the game and what I would change, and general knowledge questions about Lua and C++. About a week later I was contacted for an in-person interview in Irvine, CA which occurred about a week after that. They provided the airfare and hotel, and the experience was overall a very enjoyable one. Very friendly people, and amazing work environment. Three weeks later I received my offer.

Senior Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2013.

My interview process consisted of 2 parts.

The first: the phone interview with a developer in similar role. It took 30 minutes to pass through all the questions. The questions were not difficult but touched variety of programming topics.
    The conversation went well and I proceed to the second part.

The second: home programming task. This surprised me a lot as from the first glance required ~16 hrs of development, but actually took overall 24-30. I spent all the weekend and started to regret that I event started this interviewing process. I suppose that this is sufficient to give several hours assignment to check the skills. Investing such enormous input of time also doing complex projects at work is just unacceptable.

I submitted my solution on time, and was informed to wait for a week... One week passed, another one... silence.

At last I wrote a note to check what's going on and finally got a reply from recruiter after several days, that unfortunately the visa cap is reached and they are not accepting international applicants. Not a word about the skill test result etc.

I believe that the internal atmosphere in the company is seen from communication with recruiters, and experience with recruiters in this company is one of the worst so far.
    I would not recommend anybody to apply unless you have a lot of time to waste.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were mostly moderate but from a variety of topics to check general comprehension. Like how jvm works, or what happens when url is submitted to a browser bar?   Answer Question

Localization Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2013.

The first interview was about knowledge of blizzard games and computers in general.
    Since this is a localization position a knowledge in a second language is also needed and a written test will be required for a localization position.

The second interview will be a skype interview in which you'll get to answer questions by two members of their localization team.

Salary is too low

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

They will email you within a month of your resume being submitted and from there you can expect a scheduled phone interview within another month maybe less. Once they have conducted the phone interview you'll be notified via email/phone about an in person interview. The in person interview consists of a department manager and a supervisor. They usually are very relaxed as they interview you and just want to make sure that you can handle the stresses of customer service.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you game related questions (what is your favorite blizzard game/favorite class/favorite race/favorite games). Do not worry if you're not a gamer,it will not affect their decision.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation.

Camera Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in September 2012.

The entire process what long, After applying I waited 2 months before I got an email to schedule an interview. But after the initial contact everything went to be a little smoother and quicker. I did my phone interview and it went very well, just got asked a lot of technical questions about my skills as a cinematographer and my work ethics. As well as any additional skills I had. I also gave them my website and they looked over my demo reel and videos. After the phone interview a week later I get another email saying they would like to perform an in person interview. Blizzard was kind enough to fly me out, get me a hotel, and rent a car for me. I was flown out the following week and did my interview and came back home. I ask in person how long it would take to hear back from them. They said aprox. a month. 3 weeks went by and I finally got a follow up email from my recruiter. Everything went well and they are just waiting on an approval for my offer. At that point everything seems to be going super fast as they said my start date would be 3 weeks after the offer letter. Which I live on the east coast, so this will be a stressful and quick move.