Blizzard Entertainment

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application through the careers site, and three weeks later I got an email from a recruiter wanting to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was a week later, and was with the hiring manager and another engineer. We talked about experience, the position, my background, and what they were looking for. There were some technical questions related to the position, and two programming questions that I answered in a shared google doc.

Another week later, I heard back that they wanted to bring me for an on-site interview. From that point, it took three weeks for them to get it scheduled, with several phone calls and emails to the recruiter just to get a status update as to what was going on.

The on-site was chaotic, but all the employees were nice enough. The schedule got changed at the last minute, meaning lunch got cut short in order to accommodate people's schedules, and things became very disjointed. I understand that things change, but it's a discomforting to have the entire schedule shifted when you arrive, and then the programming piece ended up being split between two separate time slots which really messed with the flow. Some folks felt like they were just stalling to fill time, while others were rushing through, because that had other meetings to go to. In the end, I was out of there an hour earlier than the original schedule said.

After that, I never heard another word back. I called and emailed the recruiter several times over the following few weeks, but never got any response. I found this unprofessional, given that I had actually come in for an on-site. I can understand not responding to every phone interview, but if someone makes it past that stage, the least you can do is let them know the status of their application.

Interview Question – NDA - just know your algorithms, data structures, etc., as well as skills relevant to the position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – Out of many companies that I have interviewed with in my life, this company in particular has quite a disorganized and horrible method of hiring people. It seems that they have an added step before a phone interview and in-person interview come into the picture. Nothing too unfair so far. It gets interesting...

For the positions that I got considered for in this company, they sent me an "email test". One is supposed to complete the email test which may consist of (in my experience): Coding (technical) question and several Gaming questions. There may be more than one coding problems and don't assume that this will be done in an hour or so. Coding question (atleast in my case), were either more than 1, or required many hours of development time. You may or may not be timed for completing this test. Catch is that you don't know what they're looking for exactly in the gaming and technical questions. So your answers are just your best effort with a great approximation. It is not like a phone or in-person interview where you can go back and forth until have you have the complete understanding of the question. They just won't speak with you until you have passed this test. After spending hours and hours of development time, you may be told the standard answer "After a "careful review", we have decided to consider other candidates, blah blah". I must beware you: I have seen the cases where a developer spent several days to get everything perfect, sent the test and within a few minutes or barely an hour, received a standard rejection email. Makes one wonder, what was missing there in that idiot test. Several hours/days of your life gone, before you even speak with a person about your job, what the job type is, what the responsibilities are, what work does team do etc etc etc.

After you have passed this obscure test by making the right guesses about what they've been looking for, you will be asked to provide a time for a phone interview. Questions here may depend on your position type and your luck. I am not going to reveal the questions.

If you have somehow managed to pass this round too, now will come the fun part. You will be told to fill out an employment form and a permission to do background check (even before you are hired and before you have gone for a 1:1 interview). You will be asked to provide an EXACT EXPECTED SALARY. Not expected range, not any other answer. An integer value which is meant to work against you. You will be kept completely in dark about what they offer (not even a range), what the job responsibilities are, you have not even met the team, you are not even told in some cases if the job position is basic, mid level or senior because the position that they may hire you for, may change based on your skills. You are given not even a hint beside what you already know....."Go look up online and provide me with a number". If you confront this by saying that you don't know anything about the position yet, you don't even know if there is a mutual fit or not and thus you would like to wait till there is a mutual fit, then you are bluntly told that if you can't provide with a number, they will terminate your hiring process right there and then. That is a BIG BIG sign of a type of company that you shouldn't consider (unless you're in a dire need of a job and will settle for anything). Technically, salary discussion does not even matter until a later stage because what if you're not hired after an in-person interview, what if you don't like the team, what if you don't like how the team is working or the person who will be your lead/your manager etc etc. A good company that cares most about a candidate (in my experience), never forces them to provide with an expected salary. But, this company requires an expected salary number with a threat to end the interview process immediately if not done so. So basically, no idea about the position title, no idea about the salary range because of that and no information from their end about a wide range either. Let us say, you're a nice one and you provide with a number, you're playing pretty much a game of Russian roulette. If you GUESSED the number that they like (or in their words, that they can afford), you're good. This just means that you have compromised your negotiating position. If you guessed a number that they don't like, you're done. No second chances, no discussion in general. Just standard email. Don't forget, this is all after you have spent hours and hours of development time in their email test, then prepared for a phone interview and interviewed with them on phone.

I personally know that I will stay away from this sub-standard company. I personally would rate their interview process as incredible horrible for the amount of money that they make . It will be a sheer luck if they pay you well in progression of your career.

Interview Question – Their phone interview may contain any type of questions, technical or non technical. It will definitely include gaming questions, especially Blizzard games.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – Applied via the website and was contacted about two weeks later for a phone interview. Went through that with only one interviewer. Overall the phone interview was probably 50% general questions about me and my interest in the position, 25% technical, and 25% me asking questions of the interviewer.

At the end of the interview, I was told I would be sent a programming test. I received that the next day and began working on it. It took me about a week to do, then sent that in. They got back to me about two weeks later for an in-person interview.

Initially met with HR and they had me do a sit-down test. Obviously, I can't say what the questions were, but overall they were good, broad questions that should generally be easy to answer (except a couple that might require some thinking). Basically, as long as you "got" everything you learned at university you should be more than fine. Be sure to study everything that appears in the job description.

After that, HR took me for a tour around the campus. The offices were very relaxed and well-decorated and it was a lot of fun. Then I went to a lunch interview with a couple employees, then met with two others for an interview in the offices, then one more (again, supposed to be two) and finally hung out with one last person and got to ask a lot of questions about working at Blizzard.

I heard back the next week that I would be receiving an offer.

Interview Question – I won't give any specific examples. Follow my advice and you should be fine.   View Answers (2)

Irvine, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in January 2012.

Interview Details – HR communication was ok - after phone interview they scheduled onsite interview in about 2 weeks. Onsite interview was pretty exhausting - 1.5 hours written test, 1 hour interview during lunch and 3x1.5 hours with pair of engineers.
In general atmosphere was really good - nice office culture, nice people, casual dress-code.
Initial written test was ok, despite have 12 questions with 4 of them you need to write a piece of code.
Onsite lunch was good.
But when we started inperson interviews it was too much low level questions about Internet protocol suite and other network communications.
Ok, may be if it is so important for you guys to have strong networking people onboard - just mention this in your job description!
Overall I was really exhausted by the end of the interview and a little bit happy that it is finally over.

I was rejected, but it seems like the guys are really having hard times dealing with all legacy stuff, overtimes and so-on. I'm absolutely respect their decision and wish you good luck!

Interview Questions

• Array based stack and queue.   View Answer
  • 2 ways of factorial or Fibanacci number calculation   View Answer
  • Please explain in as much details as possible what happens when you click link in the browser and this request goes to web app and returns back as response.   View Answer
  • Apache handlers - explain how pre- and post-processing works for web server requests and responses.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in November 2009.

Interview Details – Sent in an e-mail with resume, cover letter, portfolio of work, etc. Got to the place and took a rather long test that I wasn't given enough time for. Went to lunch with the guys on the team I was interviewing for. They were nice enough tot ell me on the spot that they weren't going to hire me, but what they described and what they actually wanted were two very different things.

Interview Question – Write an application that maps out a large set of data in as little time as possible.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume and cover letter on-line, got a reply within 4 hours. Exchanged emails briefly with a recruiter about career plans, expertises, etc. Went selient for 6 weeks, then got an email for a phone interview.

Phone interview was a little awkward. But got an immediate reply to do a project to show my coding and technical ability. Took over a week's worth of work - got are rejection letter within 12 hours of submitting. Wish they gave some feedback of where I failed.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!